THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Not quite standard wheel lock problem

08-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
tepper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Not quite standard wheel lock problem

Hi all, (not necessarily 2-series specific but...) just wondering if anyone else has seen these sorts of things.

Basically, purchased the car used, it came with wheel locks and a key. The key sheared in half due to the locking lug bolt seizing/being over-torqued and then I found out that it's not really in any of the BMW official systems for the key shape.

It DOES look very similar to the pin + spline (non-McGard) types, but it has 14 splines... BMW makes a key for 13, 15, 16, etc. splines but not 14 -- is this just a long-forgotten variant or is it a known aftermarket type that I could potentially get a replacement key for somewhere? Or is it really just a "Smash a 12-point socket into it with a hammer and twist" sort of scenario?

Any help is greatly appreciated... I want to flush the brake fluid on this thing someday

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

if you are not in a hurry, you can find something that fits on ebay or aliexpress.

I took mine off, because thiefs have the ebay key sets, this only prevent car owners from taking the wheels off when they lose their key, ask me how I know. Lost mine at the track so at least it didn't happen on a flat tire.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0