THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technology package?

05-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

I'm a software guy, techie guy, and I usually would always have told people 'screw nav systems'... 'wait for carplay' bla bla.

But let me tell you, I find this tech package very good (value for $ is up to you).

The nav actually impressed me. Is it as smooth as google maps and apple maps? No way! But, I am now using the car nav if I'm going somewhere that I mostly know and just want to keep tabs on traffic, detours, etc.

I found the traffic info well integrated into the map
I found the 3d view quite adequate
I love saying "Points of Interest" and it does an online search (google) !

Yes, mostly points on the nav itself but basically I am very pleased about the navigation... and love the other stuff I got.
      05-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
I'm a software guy, techie guy, and I usually would always have told people 'screw nav systems'... 'wait for carplay' bla bla.

But let me tell you, I find this tech package very good (value for $ is up to you).

The nav actually impressed me. Is it as smooth as google maps and apple maps? No way! But, I am now using the car nav if I'm going somewhere that I mostly know and just want to keep tabs on traffic, detours, etc.

Yes, mostly points on the nav itself but basically I am very pleased about the navigation... and love the other stuff I got.
Oooh, forgot to mention that: the Voice Integration for Nav Pro is by far the best I've experienced -- and the iDrive UI's rotary manual input is actually pretty quick -- far quicker than the Nav I had in my previous car, a 2012 Lexus.

Bottom line: it really depends on if you'll personally get value out of the options. I do -- certainly more so than the THP I would have opted for had I not gotten the Tech Package, to meet my budget goals. Bigger brakes and trick predictive dampers are great and all, but the ones on the M Sport model are juuuust fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #25
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

We just returned from our 2 weeks in Germany for our ED. I was very impressed with the Nav system on our 228i. I've used Nav systems in other cars and also my iPhone. You can't beat the detail provided in the maps and the large screen. The extended display is also a big help in giving additional directional information.

I was a little on the fence about the Tech package when I ordered the car, but now very happy I got it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

Did you code GOOGLE_LOCAL_VOICE_SEARCH?
It didn't use to come active

you can also just say "POI" too i think

Last edited by pikcachu; 05-22-2015 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #27
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

While I would have liked the extras that come with the Tech package, I also couldn't justify the 2k. Not that the Nav wouldn't be nice. However, I rarely have use for Nav. Today, was one of those days I needed it. But I picked up my phone asked for directions to a place I hadn't been to before and I was in a major hurry. 1-2 seconds later, instant directions. Cost: 0$. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #28
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
I went back and forth on ordering the tech package. Decided in the end to do it. I use my personal cars alot for my companies consultations and using my iphone for NAV is super annoying IMO.

That being said I probably wouldnt of done it if it didnt come with the dash screen....

BTW: does anyone have a video of the tech package in action, especially the dash screen? trying to pass the time here.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #29
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I would personally pass on it the second time around.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #30
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:

Another IT gadget geek here, waiting for Car Play and Android Auto to be offered, hoping by 2018 it is as that's when I have earmarked to grab a 228i.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #31
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Another benefit of tech package is that comes with DVD player and sport display... ( you can code the sport display on non-tech though)

Also with the BMW remote app you can search places and send address to the car...

And Laptimer

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #32
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
I went back and forth on ordering the tech package. Decided in the end to do it. I use my personal cars alot for my companies consultations and using my iphone for NAV is super annoying IMO.

That being said I probably wouldnt of done it if it didnt come with the dash screen....

BTW: does anyone have a video of the tech package in action, especially the dash screen? trying to pass the time here.
check this one..

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #33
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/26/86...hyundai-sonata

Android Auto seems quite good thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #34
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Ya for example the connected drive app you can flash lights, lock/unlock the car, turn ventilation from your phone

Do your research or you might regret it latter
For the few 2er owners I have met that did not get it and played around with mine, they regret not getting it. Its a cleaner look (you cannot delete the small screen either), has more options (apps, etc), and can play movies in widescreen

The nav is very slick and very quick (compared to the wife's Q5). The live update enroute for detours is just as slick. The wide screen can also split screen, with multiple options for views.

I love it, don't regret it one bit.
      05-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #35
_dmglce
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

I'm in the process of ordering my F22 - contemplated on the ZTP as well. In the end, I realized I rarely use the nav in my car now so I know I will not get my money's worth. The bigger screen sure do look amazing. So if it is something you will use often, the extra $2k is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #36
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Not getting the tech package is something I regret every day. Its more than just navigation. I don't have voice commands, just a button on my steering wheel that does nothing, I have very limited remote services, just SOS I believe. No traffic information, no instrument cluster with extended contents, no BMW online, or Apps, No Office, No BMW App available to me on my Iphone. As I said, my one huge regret.......
      05-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #37
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

built in Nav

I've got built-in Nav on my '12 GTI and never use it. Waze in my iPhone is quicker to use, gives up-to-the-minute traffic updates/route optimization, etc. Built-in Nav in a modern car is, to me, too much $ and too quickly obsoleted.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I personally love the Tech package and Nav unit in mine. Larger screen, hard drive, iPod integration, apps (Lap Timer especially), no wires or cables, nothing loose in plain sight of thieves, etc. The navigation feature itself is more advanced than my Garmin, accepts voice commands, and has all the necessities you'd expect like real-time traffic/construction info and Google reviews for points of interest.

My daughter is a Millennial so naturally she bought a new car without Navigation because she does everything with her smartphone. I have been with her when she was driving using Waze, and her eyes were constantly back and forth between the road and her phone sitting in the cup holder. If she mounted the phone higher, like using an air vent mount, I guess that would be better, but then the air flow from the vent is blocked, and you still need to take your eyes off the road more than you would looking at the big LCD unit in the 2 Series.

Plus, the 2 series syncs the route display to the center console message area, between the tachometer and speedometer, so you really don't have to look at the big LCD at all to get the visual route information.
      11-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #39
exedba
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmOG View Post
I'm on the other side. I would rather keep the $2k in my wallet and use my phone. The amount of benefit I feel that I'm giving up is minimal compared to what is a very expensive option.

I also don't know what the benefits of extended Bluetooth are. It seems to be able to do just about anything I want in the standard configuration.
+1 I did the same. In fact it's $2700 with 2016 model.
Also I am a tech guy so the ''startrack' gigs are not capable to attract me by any means. I saw both 2015 vs 2016 Nav packages. Difference id the response speed in retrieving info after you 'touch' your query.2016 has faster CPU and RAM than 2015. Sales guy told me the same, that 2016 has faster computer than its predecessor.

Another thing, any modern smartphone with 5" screen will do a job Android/iOS. Both offers Googlemap app. $2700 for indash info is way two much.

I see as - 2 Macbook Pros + 1 iPhone 6plus. (all will retain the value after 2 years ). Nav package won't.

People buy a used car (primary function, motor) and not a Nav package (feature).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #40
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exedba View Post
+1 I did the same. In fact it's $2700 with 2016 model.
Also I am a tech guy so the ''startrack' gigs are not capable to attract me by any means. I saw both 2015 vs 2016 Nav packages. Difference id the response speed in retrieving info after you 'touch' your query.2016 has faster CPU and RAM than 2015. Sales guy told me the same, that 2016 has faster computer than its predecessor.

Another thing, any modern smartphone with 5" screen will do a job Android/iOS. Both offers Googlemap app. $2700 for indash info is way two much.

I see as - 2 Macbook Pros + 1 iPhone 6plus. (all will retain the value after 2 years ). Nav package won't.

People buy a used car (primary function, motor) and not a Nav package (feature).
Its $1950 on the 2016 model (minus whatever discount you negotiate on your car). I was in the "I can use my iPhone for Nav" camp, but the integration in the car is something I could not live without after having it.

The navigation extends into the instrument cluster, so I can just look ahead and it will show me where I need to turn. I no longer need to dangerously look at my phone. Also, if I decide I want to add a destination, I can very easily do that using the Nav system in place of picking up my phone, typing in the place, etc.

Lastly, the bigger screen is miles ahead of the standard screen. It is not only bigger, but much higher resolution. I could go on for paragraphs about the tech package and how its not to be missed, but I'll let other threads speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Its $1950 on the 2016 model (minus whatever discount you negotiate on your car). I was in the "I can use my iPhone for Nav" camp, but the integration in the car is something I could not live without after having it.

The navigation extends into the instrument cluster, so I can just look ahead and it will show me where I need to turn. I no longer need to dangerously look at my phone. Also, if I decide I want to add a destination, I can very easily do that using the Nav system in place of picking up my phone, typing in the place, etc.

Lastly, the bigger screen is miles ahead of the standard screen. It is not only bigger, but much higher resolution. I could go on for paragraphs about the tech package and how its not to be missed, but I'll let other threads speak for themselves.
Precisely. Many of us have lived with the Tech Package for a while now, and let me tell you: its benefits can't always be quantifiable in dollars.

Some notes by myself:
1). The extra Bluetooth mic in the headliner makes the phone integration soooo much better. I have a deep voice, and this is the first car that I haven't had to speak louder than my normal voice to be heard during a phone call.
2). The 20GB media drive is handy on short trips when you want tuneage but just don't feel like setting, or have time to set, the phone integration to get your tuneage.
3). As good as modern smartphones are at navigation, it can't feed anything to the center nacelle with Extended Contents. Nav Pro is next-level because of this -- and the same effect applies with controlling multimedia with the steering wheel's scroll wheel. (And, sorry to say it, but Apple CarPlay will almost certainly not be feature on BMW cars for 2-3 more years.)
4). The BMW Remote app may be limited in function, but it does come in handy when I'm rushed and can't remember if I locked the car. It's a great backup system for that. Also, during summer, I frequently set my car to start its ventilation a few minutes before I leave the office. The cabin is noticeably cooler when I arrive than without that feature.

I see the Tech Package as mostly a suite of convenience features -- much like power seats or keyless entry. For me, the convenience the TP gives is worth its cost because of how I use my car. $1K for power seats, for instance, isn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #42
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
+1

My car isn't in production yet (even though ED delivery is less than 5 weeks away), so I could still add the tech package. But I'm not going to.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used nav... and have fingers to spare. I'm a native of my current city, and >99.9% of my trips are to places where I already know the area.

For you guys that like and use nav and the other bells and whistle of the package, it's probably worth it. I just wouldn't get my money's worth out of the package.

For me, the only thing I'll miss having is the bigger LCD. I agree 100% that the bigger screen is nicer and looks much better in the car. But what would that be worth to me? A couple hundred bucks? Maybe three hundred? Certainly not two grand.
We have the tech package on our '16 235 vert, and if we had to replace the car today we likely would not spend the $1950 again, even though we use Nav on a regular basis. Google Maps just works so darn well on our smartphones. Do we like the built in nav and the other features that come with the tech package? Sure. But after having it, it's probably not worth the $1950 to us. If it were a $500-$600 option, we would include it in a heartbeat. Just our opinion, and we totally understand others feeling differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #43
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I got the Tech Package too and love it for reasons already described. It works well and looks good. But it's certainly not a must have. The Nav feature was a key selling point for me, but I rarely use it around town. On road trips my wife is with me and she uses her iPhone to navigate and find destinations. She doesn't want to learn my car, and her phone's navigation is probably better anyway.

The surprise benefit for me was the excellent capability of the Tech Pkg to play music off of a USB flash drive. It's much better at this than I anticipated. If you get all your music through iTunes then this may not matter. But if you are a long time buyer of music CDs then this is a great plus.

My 228 replaced a 15 year old E46 that came only with a CD player. So I kept buying music CDs and would burn custom CDs to play in the car. I imagine there are quite a few others who did this as well.

In my 228 I put thousands of MP3 files onto a micro USB drive and play them directly off that drive without needing to copy them onto the car's hard drive. That makes updating and reorganizing the music trivial. Playback selections can be by folder, genre, artist, composer, or album, and can be randomized. The cover art looks great too on the console display.

I don't collect much classical music so the composer tag is blank 99.9% of the time. I cleared all the composer tags and then for my favorite songs I set the composer tag to "Best". That lets me keep full albums for some artists and then narrow the playback to the subset I like best. E.g., artist=Rolling Stones, composer=Best, random order. Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #44
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
The surprise benefit for me was the excellent capability of the Tech Pkg to play music off of a USB flash drive. It's much better at this than I anticipated. If you get all your music through iTunes then this may not matter. But if you are a long time buyer of music CDs then this is a great plus.
Except that you would think it could handle more than 500 songs on a flash drive.

Seriously, my 2009 was able to do several thousand songs on a flash drive, as well as very long playlists. My 2015? Only reads the first 499 songs on the drive and the first 499 songs in a playlist.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0