THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thinking about getting the M235i xDrive

05-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Thinking about getting the M235i xDrive

My lease is up in the spring of next year (can get in a M235i with the pull ahead program by september though), currently have a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport. The contenders to replace it right now are the Jaguar XE-S AWD, BMW M235i xDrive, Golf R, or GLA 45 AMG.

Leaning the most towards the M235i xDrive and the Golf R though. Has anyone gotten a chance to drive both of them, or have any opinions on how they compare?

I got the chance to drive the M235i xDrive the other day and was pretty impressed, especially with the handling, as the F30 I have now is nothing like how my E90 handled even with the m adaptive sport suspension (was expecting a bigger difference in acceleration compared to my 335i though). Finding a Golf R to test drive has been...difficult, might settle with trying out the S3 because they are apparently very similar.
      05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Sorry I can't check for the link right now, but IIRC there is a youtube video of Golf R vs M235 ... or similar cars, somewhere... and then there's the M235 vs the AMG video as well, so some of your comparos have been done.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
Sorry I can't check for the link right now, but IIRC there is a youtube video of Golf R vs M235 ... or similar cars, somewhere... and then there's the M235 vs the AMG video as well, so some of your comparos have been done.
Yeah I've seen the Chris Harris review of the rwd lsd equipped m235i vs the golf r which was helpful. I assume the amg one is compared against the cla not the gla.

edit: this is the full version of that review if no one has seen it
      05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

I drove both the S3 and M235i Xdrive.

I enjoyed the S3, in part because my expectations were not high. I actually went to the dealership to test out an S5.

The S3 was quicker than I expected and charges right up to redline. It has a non-linear acceleration that's kind of fun (think turbo dyno graph), but it is missing a little on the bottom. It was fairly tossable with decent response. It's lighter than the BMW. The car looks nice inside and out (inside is a bit stark/simple, but well done). However, I found the following drawbacks:
-Exhibited more understeer when driven hard into a corner
-It is front wheel drive bias and that shows up from time to time
-Turbo lag. It has more of it. For the most part they've done a great job with the combo, but there were instances where I was really waiting for the car to spool and go (it felt like the car was out of sync a few times). I found this very frustrating and for this characteristic alone I would hesitate to purchase this car
-initial brake bite can be abrupt

Overall I thought the car was fun to drive and would be a good daily driver. If you don't hit the track I don't think push in the corners would be a big deal on the street.

I've had my M235ix since December and really don't have much bad to say about. My list would be:
-it's not quite as tossable as the S3, however without back to back drives I think you would be quite happy with the M235ix handling
-steering feel isn't quite there, but still decent
-only has 2 doors (you know this going in, but you might be surprised how much you miss the extra 2 doors)
-brake feel is just okay

On the plus side:
-rear bias awd system. BMW did a fantastic job with the Xdrive system. It will allow the car to rotate and the back to step out a bit before the front responds. Audi has a reputation for good awd systems, for good reason, but I would argue the Xdrive is better with regard to the two cars being discussed
-good acceleration with JB4
-nice interior (I love the idrive interface and large screen)
-it went through the Wisconsin winter great. It handled the conditions as well as my 4wd Ram, other than deep snow. This with the same tires that will pull a decent ¼ mile time
-The car feels mostly balanced on the street. I am certainly not an expert on this, but I have owned a Spec Miata race car and 700+rwhp Trans Am, so I have a general feel for balance and oversteer. I do plan on getting some better tires and doing some track days so there will be more to come on this
-it rides good in comfort mode (this is over Wisconsin’s broken concrete streets)
-it’s a well-rounded car that does just about everything good.

I really really like this car.

All things being equal (price, numbers of doors, etc.) I would without a doubt get the M235ix over the S3. If you need 4 doors the S3 is a good choice except for the occasional throttle hesitation. I’m not a fan of the looks of the Golf R, but we all have different tastes. That pushed aside the R offers an even tougher argument, because of its price point. My money buys the S3 over the Golf R and the M235ix over both of them. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with any of the cars you are considering though.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Last edited by ABPReader; 10-14-2015 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_00 View Post
Audi has a good reputation for real quattro, the s3 doesn't have it.
This is why I specifically stated "with regard to the two cars being discussed" which is what OP is interested in.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep

Yes the S3 and the R use the FWD biased Haldex system which is nothing like the awd on other Audi cars nor the BMW's xDrive system. My favorite system is Jaguar's AWD it is like reverse haldex in it that it is a RWD car unless it needs traction then it sends power to front wheels. Unfortunately with the hills in NY I really just need awd to keep me from getting stuck in the snow.

Last edited by bizzyqu; 05-21-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0