THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Abnormal Brake Pad Wear?

11-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Abnormal Brake Pad Wear?

Hi,

My pads in the front are indicating 3000 miles remaining, but the top and bottom of the pad appear to not be making contact with the rotor. Almost like they're curled up a bit? The rears sit totally flush and have a lot more meat on them, but I'm about to go in for a fluid flush, and wondering if I should just swap out the front pads or wait a bit longer. Hopefully you can see from these pics, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticcornflake View Post
Hi,

My pads in the front are indicating 3000 miles remaining, but the top and bottom of the pad appear to not be making contact with the rotor. Almost like they're curled up a bit? The rears sit totally flush and have a lot more meat on them, but I'm about to go in for a fluid flush, and wondering if I should just swap out the front pads or wait a bit longer. Hopefully you can see from these pics, thanks!
They have a lot of pad depth left, the "curled up" bit is actually a chamfer on the pad that extends to about half the pad depth, you can see it on these new pads: https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/964113_x800.webp

The pad remaining calculation on some F22s was somewhat out on earlier software releases, I believe that recent updates have fixed that. Don't worry about pad replacement until the sensor for low brake pad thickness triggers.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Thanks!
Appreciate 0