THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i nearly hit. Dash Cam footage

06-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #23
Orenji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

My roommate drives like the person with the dash camera; see someone make a poor decision and, instead of slowing down when she sees the mistake, she waits until the last second to create a near-miss and then honks and yells.

While the incident was caused by someone using poor judgment, why give them the opportunity to possibly panic and run into your fender? Just slowing down and waiting for them to clear costs you only a few seconds and might keep your pretty car dent free longer.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
e-man2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

glad you avoided that call.

I went biking (road bike) going like 30 miles an hour and twice within 10 minutes people pulled out after seeing me, hesitating, then deciding to go anyways. Almost smashed into the side of the cars on both occasions. Riding up beside a car to give them the finger is far less intimidating when you are on a road bike.

What brand is your dash cam? i've decided i'm buying one.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #25
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man2 View Post
glad you avoided that call.

I went biking (road bike) going like 30 miles an hour and twice within 10 minutes people pulled out after seeing me, hesitating, then deciding to go anyways. Almost smashed into the side of the cars on both occasions. Riding up beside a car to give them the finger is far less intimidating when you are on a road bike.

What brand is your dash cam? i've decided i'm buying one.
It is a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH! It is great but I wish it was a bit sharper. It has trouble picking up plate numbers sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

OP: How did you hook the dashcam up? Please could you show some pics?

I understand you need the auto dim-rearview mirror to use it as a power source.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #27
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post

+1

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Read this thread:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075819
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
+1
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075819
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #30
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 - 14 M5

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Is that the Blackvue DR650? I've been checking them out on amazon. Can you make out a plate from the front and rear camera's?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #31
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
My roommate drives like the person with the dash camera; see someone make a poor decision and, instead of slowing down when she sees the mistake, she waits until the last second to create a near-miss and then honks and yells.

While the incident was caused by someone using poor judgment, why give them the opportunity to possibly panic and run into your fender? Just slowing down and waiting for them to clear costs you only a few seconds and might keep your pretty car dent free longer.
I agree, this driving behavior by the OP is the reason BMW drivers have a bad reputation. This is a clear example of where simple politeness and defensive driving could have avoided any possible accident. Here the OP seems to aggravate the situation by continuing to drive right into the situation, forcing the issue. There is no courtesy here.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #32
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
Yea, I was watching her, and was surprised she decided to make a stupid move like that.
In those situations I just start muttering don't you do it.....don't you do it...
      06-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #33
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd hollander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post

I agree, this driving behavior by the OP is the reason BMW drivers have a bad reputation. This is a clear example of where simple politeness and defensive driving could have avoided any possible accident. Here the OP seems to aggravate the situation by continuing to drive right into the situation, forcing the issue. There is no courtesy here.
As a long-time motorcycle rider (45+ years of riding), I've learned to let these incidents go. Just be as courteous as possible and let the other guy go ahead.

There's an old saying... "There's right, and then again, there's dead right".
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
As a long-time motorcycle rider (45+ years of riding), I've learned to let these incidents go. Just be as courteous as possible and let the other guy go ahead.

There's an old saying... "There's right, and then again, there's dead right".
Hahaha, I've been riding motorcycles for a very long time (45) as well. In order to stay alive you need to be the best defensive rider you can. We look for scenarios exactly like this one. I am definitely a better car driver because of my motorcycle experience.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #35
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
If he/she would have just commited from the begining it would have been a non issue...I can't stand drivers who are timid for no reason, I'm not saying don't be careful just don't drive like you scared of life.
Don't hesitate to hesitate!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #36
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Don't hesitate to hesitate!
Haha, I think they must teach kids that in driver's ed in Florida. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone completely stopped on an entrance ramp, waiting for people to slow down and let them merge...they also brake (and don't use turn signals) when they want to change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #37
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
Is that the Blackvue DR650? I've been checking them out on amazon. Can you make out a plate from the front and rear camera's?
Yes the DR650. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. It seems to depend on the lighting outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #38
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd hollander View Post
You are being really judgmental Todd, I don't think it is fair to paint everyone with that brush. I consider myself a good driver (no accidents in 15 years of driving). In this scenario it was a mixture of not expecting the other driver to make a dumb move like that, and not catching it early enough to come to more of a smooth stop. Looking through the eyes of the camera is quite a bit different than looking through the eyes of the driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #39
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

If you didn't want the parking mode would it have been possible to hook the camera to your rear view mirror? I suppose then you have the issue with the rear camera though. Knowing me I would mess up trying to hide the wire in the trim...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #40
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

If you didn't want the parking mode would it have been possible to hook the camera to your rear view mirror? I suppose then you have the issue with the rear camera though. Knowing me I would mess up trying to hide the wire in the trim...
Honestly I am not sure! My M235i is a stripper and didn't come with a power mirror so I never thought about doing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #41
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are being really judgmental Todd, I don't think it is fair to paint everyone with that brush. I consider myself a good driver (no accidents in 15 years of driving). In this scenario it was a mixture of not expecting the other driver to make a dumb move like that, and not catching it early enough to come to more of a smooth stop. Looking through the eyes of the camera is quite a bit different than looking through the eyes of the driver.
I understand your point but as I watch this over and over it sure seems there is no courtesy displayed, just indignation and rudeness. I am not defending the van driver, (could be your or my mom) surely the fault lies there, but I sure don't see how any attentive driver could miss seeing this unfold until the very last second.
I suppose I am asking too much of the OP to be an excellent driver, and in that case I apologize.
I am an old curmudgeon. Flipping people the "bird", swearing at them for a mistake, and the general lack of courtesy displayed by many drivers today is all too common and in my opinion, a shame.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd hollander
Quote:
I understand your point but as I watch this over and over it sure seems there is no courtesy displayed, just indignation and rudeness. I am not defending the van driver, (could be your or my mom) surely the fault lies there, but I sure don't see how any attentive driver could miss seeing this unfold until the very last second.
I suppose I am asking too much of the OP to be an excellent driver, and in that case I apologize.
I am an old curmudgeon. Flipping people the "bird", swearing at them for a mistake, and the general lack of courtesy displayed by many drivers today is all too common and in my opinion, a shame.
I'm in your court...

Like it or not, a required part of manipulating a vehicle or our crowded roads today is defensive driving.

Sure looked (to me, anyway) like the OP had quite a bit of time to react defensively as I watched the video multiple times... And I don't mean giving the finger. Even the best driver makes the occasional error.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #43
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd hollander View Post
I slept on this and concede that I could have been more attentive and defensive to avoid the situation. I will maintain that what you see in the video wasn't deliberate or purposeful on my part and if not seen through the eyes of the actual driver can be taken out of context. I simply didn't expect the other driver to make that move and was surprised when she accelerated at me to get herself out of the way of the other oncoming car and so I swore lol. I don't give anyone the finger or call them names. I hope you will be more respectful on the forums in the future to your fellow 2er club members by not being so judgemental and negative though. No one wants to be lumped into that "dbag BMW driver" category haha
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #44
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
I slept on this and concede that I could have been more attentive and defensive to avoid the situation. I will maintain that what you see in the video wasn't deliberate or purposeful on my part and if not seen through the eyes of the actual driver can be taken out of context.
It's not always possible to envision just what the driver saw from a camera shot.

The wide angle lens on the camera introduces a fair amount of distance perception errors. In addition, since we've been told ahead of time that she's going to do something stupid, we're looking at her from the start, rather than scanning the FOV for other hazards.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 1