THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stability Control

06-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Stability Control

So one of the most frustrating things on the 135 is the stability control is either all on or off. At the track it intervenes way too early, and turning it off entirely is not the most comforting thought. Is the 235 the same deal? Or is there a proper sport mode that lets you oversteer a little before the system kicks in?
      06-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobum View Post
So one of the most frustrating things on the 135 is the stability control is either all on or off. At the track it intervenes way too early, and turning it off entirely is not the most comforting thought. Is the 235 the same deal? Or is there a proper sport mode that lets you oversteer a little before the system kicks in?
If you press the traction control once, it should enable DTC which means traction control will intervene only after the car starts slipping.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

In the 135, don't you just press the DTC button by the hazard lights and that turns a portion of DSC off? Then you can hold it to get DSC off IIRC...

If so, the 2er is basically the same. Press the button (Now by chassis mode buttons by shifter). Press it once, you turn traction mainly off and a little bit of stability off too but it reels you back in after you've swung the rear out a bit. Press and hold and you get DSC off, which is traction & stability fully off and you're completely in charge of the car.

In the 2er you can either press the traction button or put it in Sport+: both accomplish about the same thing except in Sport+ you get all the sport chassis/drivetrain settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

In the 135i, pressing once would leave stability on but turn traction control off. (same for 335i).

Holding it down for about 3-5 seconds would turn the system completely off.

It should function in the same manner on the 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
In the 135i, pressing once would leave stability on but turn traction control off. (same for 335i).

Holding it down for about 3-5 seconds would turn the system completely off.

It should function in the same manner on the 2 series.
if that's true that would really stink. even my wife's Taurus has a track/sport mode that allows some oversteer before intervening before you can get too carried away and completely spin around at speed. on the track, in the 135 the stability control kicks in way too soon ruining an otherwise sublime car on the track, turning the system completely off isn't the smartest idea and really kills confidence

i havent seen an owner's manual yet on the 235, but am hoping that tge Sport+ mode in addition to turning off the traction control loosens the stability control to allow a little drifting
      06-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=22

Refer to that table for better info on what the different modes do.

In sport+ the stability control is reduced - it allows you to get a bit of the back end out before it will pull itself back inline, which is what you are looking for.

With that said, on the track I would recommend turning the DSC off completely.

1 - You get the added benefits of the eLSD
2 - You can an honest understanding of what the car is doing at the limit, and that understanding will make you understand the limits of the car much better.

Running in sports plus keeps the computer from keeping you out of trouble, but as a result it means you'll push the car to a point it doesn't want to be, and may not realize the computer is sorting out your mistakes. Being able to start slow and work your way up in a safe environment will mean you'll understand more readily what the car is communicating to you and how to handle it when it does step out. This is a very balanced car, and with the stock staggered tires will want to understeer a bit more than normal which makes it easy to start driving fast without constant fear of ending up backwards.
      06-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=22

Refer to that table for better info on what the different modes do.

In sport+ the stability control is reduced - it allows you to get a bit of the back end out before it will pull itself back inline, which is what you are looking for.

With that said, on the track I would recommend turning the DSC off completely.

1 - You get the added benefits of the eLSD
2 - You can an honest understanding of what the car is doing at the limit, and that understanding will make you understand the limits of the car much better.

Running in sports plus keeps the computer from keeping you out of trouble, but as a result it means you'll push the car to a point it doesn't want to be, and may not realize the computer is sorting out your mistakes. Being able to start slow and work your way up in a safe environment will mean you'll understand more readily what the car is communicating to you and how to handle it when it does step out. This is a very balanced car, and with the stock staggered tires will want to understeer a bit more than normal which makes it easy to start driving fast without constant fear of ending up backwards.
+1 well said
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0