THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Took a hit today

02-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Took a hit today

Other driver turned across me whilst going through a red light. Couldn't open drivers door (RHD) but the car thought the door was open so I couldn't move it as the 8AT doesn't like it.
Attached Images

02-14-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Oof, that doesn't look good, especially seeing my twin in that shape (down to the mirrors even).
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

I feel for you ! How much will that cost ;-/

Good luck mate
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

OP: How many airbags did that trigger?
      02-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Pray to Jesus that it's only a lease... they do that in AU, right?

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-14-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Ouchie Mamma...

Hope you're ok?
      02-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Is that the same M logo we have in the states? Is it only on the M235i? No offense but it's very small...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Oh, man. Sorry about the car. It's lovely, but only metal. It can be fixed or replaced. Glad you are ok.
      02-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
Is that the same M logo we have in the states? Is it only on the M235i? No offense but it's very small...
I think that we only got the side logo in 2014.

Sorry about the crash man, but it seems like you're okay which is all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

Just an educated guess but I'll bet it's north of $15k. Not like the old days, damages add up fast, especially if any mechanical damages occur. I feel got you guy, but remember all is good if no one is hurt.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
OP: How many airbags did that trigger?
No airbags deployed as it kind of glanced right down the side of the car. The other car (Mazda 3) deployed both front airbags.
      02-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Same logo as everywhere, must just be the angle of the pic and the panel is bent in that area too.
      02-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Pray to Jesus that it's only a lease... they do that in AU, right?
yes, it's a lease. Might be a good reason to move up the M2 order now.
      02-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
You got the superman combo too?! Score! Can't wait. The dealership thought I was nuts ordering that color combination.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
Alas, yes- M2 time. That car will never ride or drive the same again, sorry. Unless there's 0 mechanical damage and the car doesn't even require a realignment.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You got the superman combo too?! Score! Can't wait. The dealership thought I was nuts ordering that color combination.
Yes, my dealer was very nervous about me ordering the combo at the time. Once it arrived, he changed his view though and loved it too. Shame it's not available on M2.
      02-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Alas, yes- M2 time. That car will never ride or drive the same again, sorry. Unless there's 0 mechanical damage and the car doesn't even require a realignment.
That's not true at all..everyone on the forum has this stuck in their head that a car is immediately a dud after an accident.

My old 135i took a front left hit (granted there was no mechanical damage, only cosmetic) but the car drove perfectly fine for another 50k miles like nothing happened.

From what it seems there isnt any mechanical damage, maybe front right suspension components will be damaged but if they are all replaced by a reputable and qualified repair shop OP's car will be perfectly fine.

Good luck OP! Sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #18
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
That's not true at all..everyone on the forum has this stuck in their head that a car is immediately a dud after an accident.

My old 135i took a front left hit (granted there was no mechanical damage, only cosmetic) but the car drove perfectly fine for another 50k miles like nothing happened.

From what it seems there isnt any mechanical damage, maybe front right suspension components will be damaged but if they are all replaced by a reputable and qualified repair shop OP's car will be perfectly fine.

Good luck OP! Sorry to hear.
I disagree. I didn't say it was a dud. Putting new, used, or refurbished parts on a car alongside parts that have been broken in together since the car was put together at the factory means it will not perform the same at the limit. I would venture to say the car won't even have the same drag coefficient before and after the repairs are made on this car. These cars are not repaired in the way they were assembled at the factory- they're put back together mostly by hand. Computers, machines, and robots are better at manufacturing than humans are. To an average driver, one that never pushes the car past 3/10ths of its ability, MAY not notice a difference in the way the car drives after the repairs. I'm not saying junk the car but if the dude has the means to step up to an M2, why not? Try to get out of the lease or have someone take over the lease, depending on the laws and rules of where you're at and if in fact the car was leased. Suspension damage = mechanical damage.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. I didn't say it was a dud. Putting new, used, or refurbished parts on a car alongside parts that have been broken in together since the car was put together at the factory means it will not perform the same at the limit. I would venture to say the car won't even have the same drag coefficient before and after the repairs are made on this car. These cars are not repaired in the way they were assembled at the factory- they're put back together mostly by hand. Computers, machines, and robots are better at manufacturing than humans are. To an average driver, one that never pushes the car past 3/10ths of its ability, MAY not notice a difference in the way the car drives after the repairs. I'm not saying junk the car but if the dude has the means to step up to an M2, why not? Try to get out of the lease or have someone take over the lease, depending on the laws and rules of where you're at and if in fact the car was leased. Suspension damage = mechanical damage.
Again I disagree, suspension (mechanical) can be simply replaced...

The car will be absolutely fine after repairs.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #20
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93
Quote:
Again I disagree, suspension (mechanical) can be simply replaced...

The car will be absolutely fine after repairs.
How many accidents have you been in and how many cars have you had structurally/mechanically repaired? Save for two cars I had in high school, none of the other three cars I had were the same after being repaired following accident(s). They were three different makes repaired at several reputable shops. I am speaking from my experiences. Since his car is so new it may not be noticeable. If the frame is somehow bent that may be a different story altogether. Both insurance companies and repair shops themselves have a tendency to 'make it work' to get the job done with the lowest cost possible... this all happens without the customer behind made aware. These repair facilities are also relying on technical documents to instruct them on how to make repairs, which sounds incredibly difficult if you ask me. No two accidents are the same, so how can one set of documents address exactly how every millimeter of the car was affected? Obviously, there are experts out there that know what they're doing, but cannot possibly be as good as the machines, robots, and humans who put these cars together in a factory on an assembly line.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #21
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How many accidents have you been in and how many cars have you had structurally/mechanically repaired? Save for two cars I had in high school, none of the other three cars I had were the same after being repaired following accident(s). They were three different makes repaired at several reputable shops. I am speaking from my experiences. Since his car is so new it may not be noticeable. If the frame is somehow bent that may be a different story altogether. Both insurance companies and repair shops themselves have a tendency to 'make it work' to get the job done with the lowest cost possible... this all happens without the customer behind made aware. These repair facilities are also relying on technical documents to instruct them on how to make repairs, which sounds incredibly difficult if you ask me. No two accidents are the same, so how can one set of documents address exactly how every millimeter of the car was affected? Obviously, there are experts out there that know what they're doing, but cannot possibly be as good as the machines, robots, and humans who put these cars together in a factory on an assembly line.
It is a mass produced 2 series we are talking about here...not a Pagani Huayra.

I have been in 2 accidents. One in my old 135i and one in my current m235i...granted neither were mechanically damaged. However, the "aerodynamics" or whatever mumbojumbo you were talking about were not affected at all, and I'm sorry but theres no way anyone would be able to drive it and say "oh must have been in an accident, the aerodynamics are SLIGHTLY off from a factory m235i..." Come on now, thats a bit ridiculous of a claim to make, especially when all parts are replaced with OEM BMW parts, at a certified reputable high end repair shop.

I agree, I would much rather a machine/robot reassemble my car (and I agree they are better and more precise), but that's not possible after an unfortunate accident such as OP's which is quite a significant amount of cosmetic damage from what we see, and no a human may not be able to put the car back together EXACTLY as it came from factory, but i'm confident that any good (and I say good meaning, the top end) repair shop can get my car back to condition pretty damn close to how it was before, and 99% of people wont be able to tell the difference without breaking out a paint meter etc.

I wasn't trying to start a forum debate but simply expressing my opinion that the majority of people have some theory that cars are automatically dead forever after a cosmetic accident, which is completely false. I agree, frame damage, the car will likely never drive quite how it should. But simple cosmetics, and simple mechanics, can and are repaired all the time exactly how they should be. When I say simple mechanics I mean things like suspension components i.e. wishbones, struts, etc. which are simple bolt on, bolt off parts. An alignment is also then done on a machine and can be put back to the exact same specs as a factory alignment...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:

Plus one, modern cars are like iPhones, you can put a new screen on, but it's never right. Last car I had a crash with, insurance fixed, I sold 3 days after getting back. Mostly safety in my eye. Most modern cars are aluminum, and aluminum does not like bending more than once. Unless there x raying the car for fatigue I'll pass. The ops accident would be the end of that car for me.
Appreciate 0