THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW denying '14 M235i warranty.

02-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #89
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4USMC View Post
Hence why it's called the "money shift"
cause it will cost you a lot of money , more than if you had bought an automatic
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #90
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
cause it will cost you a lot of money , more than if you had bought an automatic
Much money. Yuuuuuuge amounts of money. So much it would even make The Donald's hair move.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #91
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Not to keep beating this dead horse, but wouldn't you have to force the transmission into 2nd from 3rd at higher speeds? Aren't the syncros made to stop this kind of shifting? I've never driven a car that won't just grind and bounce out of 2nd if accidentally selected from 3rd under hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #92
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

I'll admit that I don't know sheit from shinola about MTs (other than driving them in my youth), but much of these vehicles are already under computerized nanny controls so I'm kinda surprised that manufacturers haven't been able to figure out how to electronically lock out lower gear selections if it detects a potential over rev situation..
      02-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #93
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I'll admit that I don't know sheit from shinola about MTs (other than driving them in my youth), but much of these vehicles are already under computerized nanny controls so I'm kinda surprised that manufacturers haven't been able to figure out how to electronically lock out lower gear selections if it detects a potential over rev situation..
It doesn't matter, BMW NA said they don't want that sort of German engineering here in the states because then they wouldn't be able to charge people for new motors. We all know they came from GM/Ford and they're still incredibly bitter about everything that ensued several years ago...

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-15-2016 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Not as angry as before...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #94
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Because again this goes back to the mechanics of the shift linkage and how it connects to your transmission.

If your shifter was electronically controlled, then yes, you could physically lock out a gear. As someone mentioned, starting with the C5 Corvettes, GM instituted a shifter "lockout" solenoid that would physically force you to skip shift from 1st gear to 4th gear under low throttle. Because the gearing was so long and the engine had so much torque, it was a way for them to get better fuel ratings.

I had one, and one of the most popular first mods for the car was to electrically bypass that solenoid so that it wouldn't interfere with your driving.

Technically you could design a system that controlled every single gate, however it would be expensive, convoluted, and as soon as any part of it failed, it would prevent the car from being safely drivable - that's why no one has done it. It's not some evil BMW plan.

The reality is, most people will go on their entire lives without ever having made a money shift. But sometimes, shit happens.

Syncros SHOULD keep the car from entering a lower gear at high RPM, but syncros are "suggestive" - and if you are going to slam a gear there is always a chance to bypass the syncros and get it in gear when it isn't supposed to.

It's especially common when trying to drive fast, because in order to reduce your shift time you want to slam the car into the next gear as quickly as possible, which means you are forcing the lever rather than letting it slowly release and pop into the next gear, which normally requires very little force.