THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum UPDATED 6/1/2015 > GSR Autosport 228i – Street to Track to Pirelli World Challenge

06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #89
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
GSR, I have a few questions about the steering.

1. How's the feedback on the track?
2. When you added stiffer springs with the KW dampers, does that improve the feel?
3. Is it affecting your ability to drive the car at the limits?

I'm guessing you would just get used to it after a while, but the last F30 328i I drove had some lame steering, light and numb
As you would expect there isn't much feel through the steering wheel. There is weight but it doesn't translate to feel. The main thing I noticed is the car turns in so well (for a BMW) you don't need a ton of feel to manage turn in. Mid corner we have it setup to slightly oversteer so we can throttle steer the car -- so the steering isn't necessarily critical where you might need to be managing your steering input for fear of overcooking the front tires. I find the steering on the M4 much more difficult because it has a similar lack of feel but does not turn in well so you have to be very delicate about getting off the brakes to add steering input.

Nick...
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #90
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Hey GSR Autosport how is the BMW228Racing handling the 350wtq+ ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #91
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The key question for me with all these new EPS systems is front contact patch feel approaching/at/over the limits of adhesion. Picture over-cooking a corner entry just a bit too much that you realize during your turn-in phase and now have to handle. You need to open up wheel lock to regain grip up front, dial back in a tad, dial out some, manage it right on the limits as you use up real estate trying to stay on track. How is the steering "feel" (i.e. direct feedback of what the deal is at the contact patch) during this situation? Is it intuitive, natural, direct communication that allows you to easily manage the tires?
No you are not getting that same feel like we love so much on our Boxster racecars. You have to adapt using sound of tires and the direction change of the car based on steering input. Like I said above I think the M3/M4 is much more problematic in this area than the 2-Series. Between the less than ideal ABS and EPS I find the car difficult to drive at the limits without going over - based on the lack of feel - the extra weight and more weight over the front axle not helping things.

When we pulled the N20 we weighed it wiring harness and all - basically a complete motor without oil because it is a little hard to keep oil in it now. ;-) The complete motor only weighed 356 lbs - that is light!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #92
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
No you are not getting that same feel like we love so much on our Boxster racecars. You have to adapt using sound of tires and the direction change of the car based on steering input. Like I said above I think the M3/M4 is much more problematic in this area than the 2-Series. Between the less than ideal ABS and EPS I find the car difficult to drive at the limits without going over - based on the lack of feel - the extra weight and more weight over the front axle not helping things.
Thanks for the feedback as yours echos what I've heard from two different drivers with tons of seat time in the F8x cars. I find this kind of depressing since I now view the F8x cars from BMW as more "industrial" devices as opposed to intuitive driving machines. I hope the M2 benefits from a lot more development time with the EPS hardware and software.

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #93
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I am interested in understanding how the new clutch and flywheel affect the driving characteristics of the car? I just got clutch master's FW-075-AL and 03075-HDFF-D and will have it installed soon for my 235i. can you describe the effect of this upgrade? for example does it make the throttle more responsive? I'm imagining it revving much quicker, but I really have no frame of reference. Thanks in advance for your description.
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #94
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

It should rev faster given that there is less mass to spin and slow down. I felt the difference in my old VW Bug I built for sure.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #95
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
I am interested in understanding how the new clutch and flywheel affect the driving characteristics of the car? I just got clutch master's FW-075-AL and 03075-HDFF-D and will have it installed soon for my 235i. can you describe the effect of this upgrade? for example does it make the throttle more responsive? I'm imagining it revving much quicker, but I really have no frame of reference. Thanks in advance for your description.
Well now I think I can answer my own question. Just got the car back today after having the Clutch Master's FW-075-AL and 03075-HDFF-D Flywheel and Clutch installed. First thing I noticed is that the clutch engagement point is waaay lower/earlier than on the stock car. The thing just grabs. It was a little disconcerting and I'll admit I stalled it on the first try as I had no idea what to expect. I adjusted quickly, but now I have to admit there is way too much travel in my clutch pedal now. I could operate it with my tippy toes. Definitely need a way to eliminate all the extra travel. Suggestions welcome.

Secondly its loud. At first I thought it was the AC, but when idling in nuetral its makes a raspy sound. My mechanic said thats normal. I hope so. It does not bother me if it is because I'm using it as a track toy, but it is noticeable.

Thirdly after driving it a bit and getting used to it, I noticed that the revs do not drop when up shifting. When down shifting the throttle is more responsive and the engine is easier to rev match because 1 the revs don't drop that much and 2 less throttle was needed to make the tach move. (in sport+)

GSR is this comparable to your experience? Anything not "normal" about having a high performance clutch and flywheel?
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #96
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Sounds all about right. As for the clutch travel, no idea. Ultimate clutch pedal maybe.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #97
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
Well now I think I can answer my own question. Just got the car back today after having the Clutch Master's FW-075-AL and 03075-HDFF-D Flywheel and Clutch installed. First thing I noticed is that the clutch engagement point is waaay lower/earlier than on the stock car. The thing just grabs. It was a little disconcerting and I'll admit I stalled it on the first try as I had no idea what to expect. I adjusted quickly, but now I have to admit there is way too much travel in my clutch pedal now. I could operate it with my tippy toes. Definitely need a way to eliminate all the extra travel. Suggestions welcome.

Secondly its loud. At first I thought it was the AC, but when idling in nuetral its makes a raspy sound. My mechanic said thats normal. I hope so. It does not bother me if it is because I'm using it as a track toy, but it is noticeable.

Thirdly after driving it a bit and getting used to it, I noticed that the revs do not drop when up shifting. When down shifting the throttle is more responsive and the engine is easier to rev match because 1 the revs don't drop that much and 2 less throttle was needed to make the tach move. (in sport+)

GSR is this comparable to your experience? Anything not "normal" about having a high performance clutch and flywheel?

Is the clutch engaging at the end of the pedal stroke or the beginning? Ucp eliminates the dead play in the stock pedal from the beginning of the stroke.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #98
defremov
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i on the way to the track

GSR Autosport, very nice job done, i've subscribed to your project!

There is an issue with camber setting on this car on the rear wheels, it can't be set more than -1.5 degrees. Did you manage to overcome it or keep it like it is?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #99
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by defremov

There is an issue with camber setting on this car on the rear wheels, it can't be set more than -1.5 degrees. Did you manage to overcome it or keep it like it is?
They got custom coil overs from KW with integrated camber plates. So yes they overcame it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #100
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by defremov

If you lower the car you can get more negative camber in the rear without changing the camber arms. My alignment shop could get -2deg in the rear with my car conservatively dropped (ie not slammed) to about 1" between top of tyre and panel wheel arch. I settled on 1.8deg. In the front I'm at -1deg. That's all you can get with stock strut top hats. If you have camber plates then of course you can get more. I'd like 1.4-1.6 degrees. I may be going back to the BC front coilovers with the camper plate top hats.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #101
dfwmods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Sub'd
What does sub'd mean?
      08-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #102
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwmods
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Sub'd
What does sub'd mean?
Subscribed to the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #103
dfwmods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Subscribed to the thread.
Thanks!
      09-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #104
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
This is somewhat related, I guess, but there are a few computer science labs looking at ECU software

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/27...-the-hood.html
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #105
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
I saw your post a long time ago and more recently read it again because a friend of mine probably will purchase a F22 too.

He's planning to put his Recaro Pole Position in it. He actually have the Macht Schnell fixations for his E82 (same as in the E9x).
Did you have issues to put the Macht Schnell fix in the F22 or was it plug'n'play? Any interval or space or something wrong during the installation or the final fitment?

Many thanks in advance

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #106
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Great thread, I had no idea a 228i could be this light from the showroom floor! It's got me interested in the car again.
      08-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #107
2serious28i
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I find it funny how in the video they talk about oiling and dry sump systems then GSR goes and blows their motor due to oiling issues...
Appreciate 1
aerobod3612.00
      08-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #108
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2serious28i View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I find it funny how in the video they talk about oiling and dry sump systems then GSR goes and blows their motor due to oiling issues...
It's a shame theirs blew up and the company (and their successor) doesnt appear to have completed the development of the car with the issue still unsolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
Great thread, I had no idea a 228i could be this light from the showroom floor! It's got me interested in the car again.
I thought mine would be light as an '18 230i slick-top with only the track package and auto trans, but I weighed 3369 lbs at the motorsport shop! It was with most of a tank of gas and a full interior. That seems to beat the published curb weight of 3411 lbs from BMW's spec page though.

I wonder how GSR got theirs so far below the published weight? Did it have a full tank of gas and full interior, or had they started pulling and replacing parts already? Was a '14 really just that much lighter?
Appreciate 0