THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i vs. 2015 Mustang GT

11-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

M235i +1
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

i was debating between the new sti, mustang gt or the bimmer. ended up ordering the bimmer in grey with red interior. still waiting for it so i cant say how it drives yet . i went with my gut which was telling me go with the refinement and comfort with the thrills, not just the thrills. had a 2011 sti but the interior sucked but she drove amazing. i am ready for some more mature stealthy hooligan comfort without the boy racer stamp. plus i would spank a sti on the track with a rwd turbo straight 6. the understeer in those sti's is wack i did track days with mine and it was nerve racking and tire mutilator understeer. less fun than my s2000 on the track but the sti was a little faster. go with what suits your lifesyle. if you dd your car and track it once in a blue moon get the bimmer for comfort during dd. cant really go wrong with your choice but the bimmer is more comfy and has better seating position and seats also the quality just feels solid. dont worry about a review opinion worry about your opinion. remember its not the arrow that makes the indian.

Last edited by Dr Fatpuss; 11-14-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Seems like no matter which one you decide you will wish you bought the other.

You really have to make a firm decision or it doesn't matter which one you choose. And really? Caring what others think is not important. Your opinion is what matters. Don't let the opinions of others stray your own.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I just saw the '15 GT at the car show in miami yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to sit in it. I think it is a vast improvement in terms of styling and tech over the previous generation, but obviously have not driven one. I will say that the m235 has no shortage of power esepcially with the availability of many tuning options at different price points. It seems like the guy who made one of those comments doesn't know how to drive because I have no problem throwing my car around corners when the opportunity presents itself. Every time I push it the 235 impresses me more and more, the car is so balanced and nimble. In my opinion when it comes to street driving the 235 has more than enough power to get you into trouble. Also I have already seen about twice as many 15 GTs on the road than 235s since I picked mine up in May. If you need the x-drive I have heard it is much improved, but find a rear wheel drive car and trust me you will not be disappointed with the 235.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #27
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I'm driving myself crazy going back and forth between these two cars.

So it's literally one day where I'm sold on the M235i, and then the next I'm reconsidering the tried-and-true Mustang GT. And I honestly can't decide...
I can say I went between the same two vehicles. My history: 2 x BMWs, 1 x Audi, never a muscle car. However, I wanted more punch this time around, so the new Mustang (and changes at Ford) really interested me. In the end, I just couldn't visualize myself in the Mustang, even though I can appreciate how far Ford has come in its development.

Quote:
"At the end of the day, the BMW M235i is an entertainer, but not necessarily in the way you’d expect. Those seeking a portal to the BMW coupes of the past, where you downshifted into second just to send the rear sliding, will be disappointed. As you’ve probably guessed by now, this is the worst part of the car."

Those negative bits aside, I did see the Motor Trend Head2Head with the M235i versus the CLA45 AMG. I love Randy Pobst, and when he said it was the best handling BMW in the past 10 years, I totally believe him.
Like others noted, ignore the poo-poo reviewers. There will always be fans and hater reviews of every platform. As for the sideways comment, I have a counter comment: Chris Harris. He recently did a tutorial on how to drift a car properly. Weapon of choice? M235i with LSD.

I would have to say that the disappointed driver is just a poor reviewer and driver, since almost every other reviewer notes how easily a driver can get the throttle high enough to rotate the rears. Even C&D got loose on their hot laps.
      11-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #28
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

The 2015 mustang looks to be shaping up to be a nice all around car, decent daily and competent track car.

I would have love to have seen the M235i thrown in that C&D muscle car matchup. I think the 235 would have taken a lot of categories the Mustang dominated and the 235 performance times would have surprised and becomes more impressive considering the power advantage it gives up and the additional 8 - 10 MPG's more you will get out of the 235i.

I have not worked on a 2015 stang but I had a 2012 and did some work on it as well as my m235i and the build quality fit and finish of the BMW becomes very apparent. I saw the Breenspeed Wheel Hop video and was like damnnnn still. Tells me with the Stang your going to have to jack with your suspension out of the gate, why is Ford sending me to Ford racing parts for a fix to a problem that should not even exist? If your not in a hurry you can keep your eye on the message boards and see what folks are whining about, not much of that going on with m235i

Good luck with your choice either car will be a blast.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold

Last edited by G-Mann; 11-16-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #29
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fatpuss View Post
i was debating between the new sti, mustang gt or the bimmer. ended up ordering the bimmer in grey with red interior. still waiting for it so i cant say how it drives yet . i went with my gut which was telling me go with the refinement and comfort with the thrills, not just the thrills. had a 2011 sti but the interior sucked but she drove amazing. i am ready for some more mature stealthy hooligan comfort without the boy racer stamp. plus i would spank a sti on the track with a rwd turbo straight 6. the understeer in those sti's is wack i did track days with mine and it was nerve racking and tire mutilator understeer. less fun than my s2000 on the track but the sti was a little faster. go with what suits your lifesyle. if you dd your car and track it once in a blue moon get the bimmer for comfort during dd. cant really go wrong with your choice but the bimmer is more comfy and has better seating position and seats also the quality just feels solid. dont worry about a review opinion worry about your opinion. remember its not the arrow that makes the indian.
You made a $50,000 car purchase without test driving it first?!
      11-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Wow, I'm really glad to have posted this here. There are lots of great replies and advice, and I got a lot of useful alternate perspectives.

One post in particular seemed like a terrific idea, and that advice was to drive both cars again back-to-back, and then compile a list of categories and ratings. The extra drive would give me more seat time in each car, and the list would be a more concrete version of what is already in my head anyway. I may have taken this to the point of stupid, but I have compiled a list:

Category Weight Mustang M235i

Value/Cost 8 8 5
Quality/Fit 7 7 10
Fuel Economy 6 5 8
Interior Styling 9 7 9
Reliability 8 9 8
Exterior Styling 8 7 6
Std Features 9 10 6
Handling 10 8 9
Acceleration 10 9 8
Braking 9 10 9
Ergonomics 7 6 8
Access 3 5 5
Status/Image 6 7 10
Fun 10 10 10
Driving Ease 8 7 9
Technology 9 8 8
Maintenance Cost 8 9 4

Again, this may be to the point of being stupid, but I put this in a spreadsheet for the automatic calculations. The raw sums are a dead tie: 132 to 132. Then I added the weighting system based on each category's importance to me, and the result is:

Mustang 108.3
M235i 106.3

Add in the fact that I'm guessing on some of the numbers: for example, I don't know about the braking, so I'm basing that on Randy Pobst's opinion from the Motor Trend Head2Head videos. I don't really know about reliability either, other than the fact my current Mustang is 10 years old, has 77,000 miles, has been driven through winters and 7 track day events, and has never had a single problem.

Going through this rating system shows me why the decision is so difficult - it's essentially a tie. By just adjusting a couple numbers, I can make the weighted result in favor of the BMW.

I think in the end, most of you have nailed the essence of it. I need to go with my heart. Right now, that's telling me that I am firmly in my mid-life stage, and maybe it's time to move into something more appropriate for my age and position. The '05 Screaming Yellow Mustang is fun, and I love the attention it gets. It almost never fails to get some kind of comment wherever I go with it, or whenever some co-worker or acquaintance sees it for the first time: "Bill, I never pictured you in a car like this," is a comment I just got from a co-worker last week. I would miss some of that with the BMW for sure. I may even have a slight fear of coming off as a snob with the BMW, because I think most people wouldn't think of the M235i as being the performance equivalent of the Mustang - but then, I'm not buying either car based on what others may think of me in it.

The difficulty of the decision is compounded by the fact that I tend to keep cars for a long time - so it's got to be something I'm going to love and enjoy for years.

Sigh, this is so hard...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #31
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
You made a $50,000 car purchase without test driving it first?!
Yeah lol. They didnt have one but they did have a 228i so drove that. Test drove the sti and gt. I really liked the cockpit of the 228i so i said if this thing comes with more power im sold. Guy showed me the m235i brochure and i was like ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:

I think in the end, most of you have nailed the essence of it. I need to go with my heart. Right now, that's telling me that I am firmly in my mid-life stage, and maybe it's time to move into something more appropriate for my age and position.
Sigh, this is so hard...
Thats your head, not your heart....Your heart is "which vehicle am I most passionate about?"

Not that it means a hill of beans, but I don't get this comparison at all..

BMW is completely a different class of vehicle than a Ford. Mustang vs Camaro vs Challenger I get. I can even wrap my head around M4 vs Corvette....
      11-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #33
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
The difficulty of the decision is compounded by the fact that I tend to keep cars for a long time - so it's got to be something I'm going to love and enjoy for years.
Reading your first post and then this one, you seem to want to choose the BMW but aren't ready to leave the Mustang behind. So I have an alternate idea:

Do a two year lease on an M235i, and then decide whether to commit to the car with a purchase. You may end up paying a little more and for a longer time, but it gives you a very easy out if the car just isn't for you. You're also 100% covered on all maintenance and service costs, so your lease payment and government fees are all you're ever going to spend on the car.

In two years' time, the M2 and Mustang GT350 should both be available if the M235i is too soft for your taste.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #34
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I think in the end, most of you have nailed the essence of it. I need to go with my heart. Right now, that's telling me that I am firmly in my mid-life stage, and maybe it's time to move into something more appropriate for my age and position. The '05 Screaming Yellow Mustang is fun, and I love the attention it gets. It almost never fails to get some kind of comment wherever I go with it, or whenever some co-worker or acquaintance sees it for the first time: "Bill, I never pictured you in a car like this," is a comment I just got from a co-worker last week. I would miss some of that with the BMW for sure. I may even have a slight fear of coming off as a snob with the BMW, because I think most people wouldn't think of the M235i as being the performance equivalent of the Mustang - but then, I'm not buying either car based on what others may think of me in it.

Sigh, this is so hard...
If this is truly how you feel then I know you should DEFINITELY go with the BMW. If you go white on red as I think I recall you said would be your preference, you will get more than enough attention for the car. And the 235 is smaller and more aggressive looking in my opinion. I am constantly being asked about the car and usually, even the BMW drivers have NEVER seen one. So what I'm trying to say is you won't miss out on any of the attention you got in the mustang and you still have the power to pull on most cars out there in a stealthier more refined package.
As far as the snobby thing, I would not worry about this and I think the average person thinks the //M235 is on a different planet performance wise from the mustang (in a good way). The real problem is that although
BMW makes some expensive cars, the M235i is one that can be had at a reasonable price and delivers outstanding performance. So the only thing you are going to have to worry about is people thinking you might be making too much money, so don't start screwing up at work haha. I negotiated myself a very good deal on one and from the sounds of it I think you are ready for a change and one that is more of an increase in refinement and power as opposed to just power.
If those were the only things holding you back, I can't wait to see pics of your new 235.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Not that it means a hill of beans, but I don't get this comparison at all..

BMW is completely a different class of vehicle than a Ford. Mustang vs Camaro vs Challenger I get. I can even wrap my head around M4 vs Corvette....
Well, I'm surprised that I'm considering the BMW too...

It mostly started when the pricing of the Mustang GT was revealed. I priced a Premium GT with Performance Package, Premier Trim, and Navigation, and it came to just over $40K. Once it cracked the $40K line, I started wondering about alternatives.

Maybe you don't see any similarities between a Mustang GT and the M235i, but I sure do. My basic requirements are RWD, manual transmission, 2-door coupe, and something I can take to the track. I test drove a Subaru BRZ about 6 months ago, but discounted that immediately because it doesn't have the brute acceleration I want. After a lot of research, I'm down to these two cars because they both have what I want. I admit they're not direct competitors, but even over at the Mustang forum, there are other folks cross-shopping the two cars.

I honestly don't understand your confusion... The Mustang has progressed a long way. It could always perform. We all know about the Motor Trend test in 2011 where Randy drove both the M3 and Mustang GT, and the lap times were within a 0.1 seconds. And now the interior is a class above the Camaro and Challenger - no one is saying it's quite BMW quality, but it's pretty darn good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #36
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

M235

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #37
Dr Fatpuss
Private
Rep

For me it was the seating position and the snug feel in the cockpit. The sti i drove had a high up strange civic feel to it from the inside but the steering feel was like no other car i have driven. The gt felt way better than the sti in seating position but i just cant seemyself In a mustang it was too ordinary. So that is how i went with the bmw. Even tho it was 7 gs more i think that is worth it cause i know i will be happy with that car in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #38
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Performance wise, I see the M235 as a rival for Mustang 2,3 Ecoboost and the next M2 as a rival for Mustang Gt. Prices can't be discussed putting the things in this way.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #39
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Performance wise, I see the M235 as a rival for Mustang 2,3 Ecoboost and the next M2 as a rival for Mustang Gt. Prices can't be discussed putting the things in this way.
C & D posted a 0 - 60 1/4 time in the M235i of 4.3 12.9 and the 2015 mustang they posted 4.5 13. It would be very interesting to get these two cars out on the same track at the same time.

Ecoboost and 228i match up better and based on some of the reviews I have seen the 228i was preferred.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #40
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
C & D posted a 0 - 60 1/4 time in the M235i of 4.3 12.9 and the 2015 mustang they posted 4.5 13..
I wonder if they will be able to crack high 3's(3.9-4.1) with the XDrive version?!

4.3 is moving for a RWD!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #41
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

No interest in E92 M3? Seems like a perfect fit for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #42
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'm surprised that I'm considering the BMW too...

It mostly started when the pricing of the Mustang GT was revealed. I priced a Premium GT with Performance Package, Premier Trim, and Navigation, and it came to just over $40K. Once it cracked the $40K line, I started wondering about alternatives.

Maybe you don't see any similarities between a Mustang GT and the M235i, but I sure do. My basic requirements are RWD, manual transmission, 2-door coupe, and something I can take to the track. I test drove a Subaru BRZ about 6 months ago, but discounted that immediately because it doesn't have the brute acceleration I want. After a lot of research, I'm down to these two cars because they both have what I want. I admit they're not direct competitors, but even over at the Mustang forum, there are other folks cross-shopping the two cars.

I honestly don't understand your confusion... The Mustang has progressed a long way. It could always perform. We all know about the Motor Trend test in 2011 where Randy drove both the M3 and Mustang GT, and the lap times were within a 0.1 seconds. And now the interior is a class above the Camaro and Challenger - no one is saying it's quite BMW quality, but it's pretty darn good.
This has been a bit of a taboo subject in this forum if you are a new member. There is nothing wrong with this comparison other than the mustang is more close in size to a 4 series and the obvious price difference. Most of us cannot give unbiased opinions because when we were in your predicament we chose the BMW and did NOT look back. BMW offers a balance of luxury and performance unlike any other brand save for maybe audi. Mustangs are pure speed machines and despite being very impressed with the new mustang, the quality and finish just won't be the same. If you don't mind that then the mustang is a great choice, but if, and it sounds like you do, you want a more refined package that will outperform your current car in any phase while being more luxurious and comfortable then the M235i is you.
It really is the hands down best "value" offerred by BMW, which are two words not typically used in the same sentence. With very little modification, which you do not seem opposed to you will have an absolute beast on the track and a sleeper on the streets.
Time to experience something new, and if you have to why not make that the highest rated consumer BMW of all time. The best of the best for a bit more than a mustang GT...where do I sign.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #43
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
I wonder if they will be able to crack high 3's(3.9-4.1) with the XDrive version?!

4.3 is moving for a RWD!
I think the 4.3 is a perfect scenario number and I love it, but I would be surprised if the all whee drive shaves more than a tenth.

Speaking of which, can any of the 235 xdrive owners who have had previous x models shed any light on the improvements in the F22 system.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #44
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
I think the 4.3 is a perfect scenario number and I love it, but I would be surprised if the all whee drive shaves more than a tenth.

Speaking of which, can any of the 235 xdrive owners who have had previous x models shed any light on the improvements in the F22 system.
I can see a 2 tenth improvement with xdrive. We have to take these numbers with a grain of salt, track conditions, temps, driver, etc... can be interesting variables. Still a 4.3 is a damn good number and the potential xdrive numbers (4.1) under the same conditions would have been interesting. What these numbers do show is that performance wise these cars do compete. C & D also got a 4.9 out of the 228i

M235i is the best performance luxury car that you can buy today period. Show me another 4.3 car in its class and price range. I was just checking out the numbers on the lexus RC 350 coupe, what a disappointment.

p.s. Here were the mag numbers on the 2015 stang.

(Source – 0-60 – ¼ Mile time)
Car & Driver – 4.5 – 13.0
Road & Track – 4.6 – 13.0
Motor Trend – 4.4 – 12.8 -

MT was able to get the 2013 Mustang GT from 0-60 in 4.3 seconds while running a 12.7 quarter mile.

See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-f....qcsFaoiQ.dpuf

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold

Last edited by G-Mann; 11-17-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0