THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum new 228i

02-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
SC228
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i, 6MT, THP, no SR.

new 228i

My e39 is getting long in the tooth, more frequent visits to the mechanic, so I've been lurking on the dealer websites checking out inventory.
Local dealership had a 2016 228i Alpine White, MT, THP, no sunroof, minimal other options for 8% off MSRP, so I couldn't resist after the test drive.

I've only had it a few days, but here are some preliminary observations.
THP throttle response is definitely noticeably improved in sport mode. The suspension firms up a bit but still quite comfortable and maybe a little more leaning in turns than I'd like, but overall a nice upgrade. Haven't had a chance to really test the brake upgrade but the blue calipers definitely look cool. I'll see how they do on the track at some point.
Wasn't sure how I'd like the electric steering, but so far so good on the street. Maybe a little X-Box like, but no real complaints.
The exhaust is very (too) quiet. Does not appear to have any sound synthesizer/fake engine noise that I can detect.
Seats are very comfortable and supportive (Sensa Teck). I don't miss leather here.
Definitely notice the nice torque curve in comparison to previous 128 and even e36 M3s.
Overall, a nice choice as a sporty, comfortable DD that should also be able to handle a track day.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Very nice and congrats! I have a 228 as well but mine is an M Sport with no THP. Everyone seems to talk about the wonderful torque availability on this car. Have fun with it!
      02-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Congrats! I think you did really well to find a 6MT with THP sitting on the lot and to get it for 8% off MSRP!

It's a really nice, fast car with a lot of headroom as a tuning/mod platform. Every shortcoming you mentioned can be dialed out except for the steering, which is regrettably drive-by-wire and over-engineered.

As you can see from my sig, I've modded my 228i w/THP extensively, mainly because I was so impressed with the car that I decided to buy, not lease; I feel I'm investing in a modern classic.

The roll, lean and general softness in suspension responsiveness are manifestations of the car's dual role as both a performance coupe and a luxury coupe. First thing I did was get the Dinan Shockware mod, which addresses some of this but taking the plunge (if you'll excuse the pun) and getting the accompanying spring set with supplemental bump stops which drops the car 1/2" F/R, has had a spectacular effect on suspension behavior; an already fast car is now so much more eager and fierce and has very little unnecessary "give" left in the suspension, in any plane.

I realise you might not want to mod the car, or tune it; maybe you are leasing. Rest assured that it's a great car, quick and responsive, with superb driving ergonomics, at dead stock. Also, the N20/N26 is a great engine with lots of low-end torque, which will just pull and pull under load. However, when tuned...

Congrats again. Big win.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 02-13-2016 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
SC228
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Barry. I bought it, so no leasing issues with mods. I do like that Dinan has a matching warranty. I'll run it the way it is, at least for now. Did you add the intercooler? Seems like a good idea for running more boost, especially if you track it from time to time.
The additional HP/torque specs of the tune as published on the Dinan website are quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC228 View Post
Thanks, Barry. I bought it, so no leasing issues with mods. I do like that Dinan has a matching warranty. I'll run it the way it is, at least for now. Did you add the intercooler? Seems like a good idea for running more boost, especially if you track it from time to time.
The additional HP/torque specs of the tune as published on the Dinan website are quite impressive.
I am a little skeptical about the intercooler. It appears not to have been built for the 228i but fits it, so they sell it as a mod for our car. I suspect it is only really optimised in cars with available Stage 2 or Stage 3 tunes. I may be wrong, and I will ask my very expert Dinan techs and see if there is a S2 tune for the 228i on the horizon that really integrates this hardware. And it's not cheap. Finally, if you look at the notes on the Dinan site here, the wording is very interesting: Currently: This product is legal in California only for racing vehicles, which may never be used upon a highway. CA; that's me. Plus this: Max HP Gain: 6 @ 5500 RPM. Max Torque Gain 5 @ 5500 RPM. That's not worth $953.00 plus maybe another $400 in labor. The advertised gains of 15 HP and 13 lb-ft are obviously only accomplished with a Stage 3 tune that is not available for the 228i so buyer beware.

The intercooler is not where I would ever consider starting. The S1 tune, followed by springs plus Shockware and bump stops are the really transformative mods if you go the Dinan way. I am trying to maximise street performance as aggressively as I can while preserving the warranty and staying emissions-legal.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 02-14-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
SC228
United_States
Rep

Thanks, and I agree with all your points. It would be nice, though, to be able to monitor water/oil temps during "spirited driving". If one's intended use does not significantly raise temps, then I agree that a larger intercooler would be of questionable need. The turbo generates heat, and heat is the enemy.
I wish it was possible to reprogram the display to show temps/oil pressure rather than the totally useless HP/Torque display. Since all of this comes from the OBD2 you would think it could be done. Listening, Dinan?
Also, sorry about your oppressive CA regulatory environment. We are at the other extreme end of the spectrum here in SC (which I prefer) - no inspections, no emissions testing, and only a flat $300 sales tax on any vehicle purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, I have found no way, even with an OBDII dongle and DashCommand to gain access to oil temp output. This, along with the sub-par audio system (both stock and the HK upgrade) is one of the most frequently mentioned complaints about the car that you will find on enthusiast forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Also, sorry about your oppressive CA regulatory environment. We are at the other extreme end of the spectrum here in SC (which I prefer) - no inspections, no emissions testing, and only a flat $300 sales tax on any vehicle purchase.
Having a 228 and being in SC as well I can relate. Where they get you is the property tax. I'm in the Greenville/Spartanburg area from time to time.

I don't have the sporty bits but this is a fantastic car. I agree that this will be a BMW classic platform for sure in the future. I do wish that DINAN made more performance oriented parts for the N20 platform as it's lighter and I think more balanced of the 2 series.

Congrats on your new ride. Check out the American European Motorsports thread in the SouthEastern location section of this forum. I'm the SC Chapter president of the car club. Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Thanks, and I agree with all your points. It would be nice, though, to be able to monitor water/oil temps during "spirited driving". If one's intended use does not significantly raise temps, then I agree that a larger intercooler would be of questionable need. The turbo generates heat, and heat is the enemy.
I wish it was possible to reprogram the display to show temps/oil pressure rather than the totally useless HP/Torque display. Since all of this comes from the OBD2 you would think it could be done. Listening, Dinan?
For $400 I bought and installed a P3Cars VIDI,a digital gauge that fits in the top two slats of the left side vent. It plugs into the OBDII port,but can be easily unplugged for diagnostic work.It has readouts for coolant and oil temps,which I was mainly interested in,but also 7 or 8 other functions including a 0 to 60 timer.I am very happy with it and it was a fairly easy install.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
VIDoug
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport,THP, PP

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Oil Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Yes, I have found no way, even with an OBDII dongle and DashCommand to gain access to oil temp output. This, along with the sub-par audio system (both stock and the HK upgrade) is one of the most frequently mentioned complaints about the car that you will find on enthusiast forums.
Barry: FYI. Oil temp andmuch more -- Android phone, Torque app, and dongle Riorand RD9 dongle from Amazon.
Attached Images

02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I know it will output oil temps to Android phones but have yet to find an app for an iPhone that will cooperate (Torque is for Android only, I believe). Odd, huh?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Thanks! I know it will output oil temps to Android phones but have yet to find an app for an iPhone that will cooperate (Torque is for Android only, I believe). Odd, huh?
You could always find an old Android on CL or eBay that someone is just trying to get rid of and use it just for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #13
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
You could always find an old Android on CL or eBay that someone is just trying to get rid of and use it just for that.
That is rather an interesting idea, thank you!

Appreciate 0