THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos Full M Perforance Kit M235i EBII

07-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Decent room in the back, really very surprising. 5'10 front and back row easy. Probably limit it 6' front an back. For me it's 9 and 7 year old in the back....perfect coupe age.

For a laugh I tried out a 991 911 at the dealer. 5'10 plus briefcase possible!
Attached Images

07-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #46
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
What is the deal like on these?
Not too much of deal really yet Davy. I managed to scrub off a couple of k and had my negative equity on a 5 series only 20 months into a 48 written off (was way over mileage too).

I'd say around £3k off could be achieved but wait a little more as I think stock is starting to build up. If I hadn't gone for this one there were a stock builds I was going to have talk through with the dealer.

Hows the SQ5 running? It did intrigue me for a while before I decided on coupe for me. Looks a performance bargain vs the Macan.
      07-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #47
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

This inspired me to have a look on the BMW website- there were about 60 available in my minimum spec, and about 2 or 3 with the M Perf kit as per yours, but they were 40k ish
They looked very nice in white though!
With that many used ones kicking about I can't help but think there are plenty deals to be had.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #48
thesanjiu
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue ll

The car looks great! how does the M performance exhaust sound? i've been debating on weather or not to install it on my 235
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #49
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesanjiu View Post
The car looks great! how does the M performance exhaust sound? i've been debating on weather or not to install it on my 235
There's a lovely deep sound to it, Sport mode is excellent with crackles on the over run. When it was started up at the dealers (it was a showroom car inside) it certainly got everyones attention. I think I need to take it to a tunnel with the windows down

Silver pipes vs the body colour rear diffusor make it stand out much more too than perhaps the black pipes on the dark diffusor. Really pleased with it.
      07-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #50
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post

I will balance thus out with something constructively negative that I eventually find to say in a review later but for now, this is awesome. An M2 looking slightly wider, carbon roof, built in curved 1M style bootlid spoiler, body kit, auto blipping manual, seats similar to M4 will be a keeper for me and the first car I will buy outright.
That's what I'm waiting for! got my name down for one. The thing I don't like about (M235i) it is the lines around the rear arch the just look odd to me. I'm hoping the M2 sorts that out with wider arches.

It's a cracking car though enjoy it

Quote:
What is the deal like on these?
I was offered one at nearly 11% off but didn't pull the trigger, though I have a good relationship with my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #51
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

lovely car mate!! i want them wheels for my f31 they really look the part!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #52
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Quote:
Not too much of deal really yet Davy. I managed to scrub off a couple of k and had my negative equity on a 5 series only 20 months into a 48 written off (was way over mileage too).

I'd say around £3k off could be achieved but wait a little more as I think stock is starting to build up. If I hadn't gone for this one there were a stock builds I was going to have talk through with the dealer.

Hows the SQ5 running? It did intrigue me for a while before I decided on coupe for me. Looks a performance bargain vs the Macan.
SQ5 is great thanks, great performance, beautiful interior and really really nice noises. As you say a good bit more performance than a Macan and a lot cheaper when you look at spec, option prices and discounts available. Also really exclusive, have only seen one other in the 4 months I have had mine which is great as I hate seeing a twin of my own car every other day.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #53
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Few more...
Attached Images

07-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #54
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Few more...
Looks excellent, the question is, why would anyone want to lumber themselves with a Golf instead of a 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #55
Main Man Mike
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #56
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:
Few more...
Looks excellent, the question is, why would anyone want to lumber themselves with a Golf instead of a 2 series.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #57
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Ummmmmm maybe 5 doors instead of 2???
Do I get the prize for getting it right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #58
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
You could be right, one is a nice practical family hatchback - and the other is a stylish sports coupe that turns heads.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #59
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I guess if I wanted a 5 door practical car I could get loads of models to choose from.

Likely to be a focus to be honest, very good car and great to drive, if larger would go for XF or 3 series.

However comparing the car n question against a 3 door hatch back, no contest.

One is due to the need to put pushchairs in the back and driven by women n young families.

The other is just exceptionally stylish.

Hatch back or coupe, always a hard choice.......
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #60
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Thumbs up Context. 520D to M235i. 3rd Day in, 96 miles.

Engine & 6MT
The engine is superb, it covers all bases. Docile if you need to be efficient but drop into Sport mode and the pick-up is ferocious. The engine note in the cabin is refined in Eco and Comfort but very pleasant indeed in Sport, Sport +, great sounding I6, I’ve missed that! Yes it’s got active sound but it sounds great. The 6MT is my favourite part of the car, it been so long since I enjoyed a proper 6MT transmission. Shifting is easy, short and precise but not Porsche levels. I had doubts about the not exactly sporty looking shifter but it fits like a glove. Thoughts of mod’ing this now gone.

Adaptive Dampers
A first for me and really impressive. Comfort is more comfortable with less road jitter than the passive 520D MSport on 18s. Sport controls body roll almost completely but as yet I’ve not pushed on I’m still running in. My wheels are 19s PZero and I only noticed a day in that they are actually are RFT’s, oops! Still says a lot for the Comfort setting. I still got the compressor in the boot so might try non RFT’s on tyre change. Must have for £500.

Steering, Ride & Handling
What I loved about my M135i test drive was the cars nimble size and quick turn with the VSS. This is night and day vs an F10. If I’m honest I actually prefer this light approach to the full on M4 cars steering setup, weird yes I know. Not very manly perhaps to state this but it just works better for me as a car I drive. I agree the M4 steering is fantastic but it felt very very heavy to me. One thing I can advise is that this car will drift at will. I’ve got nowhere near 5k RPM yet in any gear but on a few feisty corners could feel the back end beginning to lose traction on the damp pick up weekend I collected the car. Motorway cruising is much less refined than an F10 as expected but not many are a smooth as the F10. You do notice the shorter wheelbase in the ride too. Vehicle weight is down by over 200kg and you can feel it everywhere, braking is much reduced. This car is just fun to drive.

Size
It’s not everything. I’m loving being able to park this car anywhere, parking at the supermarket does not require advance planning. As I’ve said elsewhere, a 6ft driver in front and 6ft rear passenger leg room is possible, head room gets a bit tight for adults on longer trips, best for younger family kids or occasional use in the back Love it, this car is the perfect size for my needs right now, it’s why I changed. I know some are avid dogging fans on Bimmerpost…but this might not be the car for you .

M Performance Kit
So being honest when specing this car myself I might not have gone for any of it. However once I saw it with all the sparkly bits added it just looks immense and IMO more than just a 2. The Sports exhaust is lovely, really great feature. I think I’d need to spec this on most cars from now. Again fits the BMW Jekyll and Hyde model well, quite a beast in Sport mode. Also noticed that a little like the Jag F Type the car starts up with a bit of a roar, pleasant. One word of warning, warn the kids about the protruding exhaust. Son got a shock at the weekend when his bare leg touched it, obviously it sticks out a bit when you look at vs other beemers. He’s ok BTW, phew. Also the M Performance stickers add at least 15hp, Fachhhht.

Other Bizarre Bits
DAB. My first in a car, it’s great to not have Talksport crackle under power lines. Love the track names on music stations too. 21st century at last for me. Takes longer switching between stations than an FM though.
Door bins. These are huge and possible make up the 100Litres of boot space lost. Decent 3 compartments too and nicely sectioned. The usually bit of lower model scrimping here with no nice soft touch lining as in an F10 and F30.
Aircon. Seems just as good to me as the F10, X1 felt a bit weedy, pleased about this obviously.
Auto Start Stop Off. Easier to reach located on the top of the start button rather than under it.
Pro Nav. You all know about this already, for me it looks great. Early days yet but it likes my left handed writing and the new voice recognition is superb. Mode button on the new sports wheel is also clever, it cycles only through the Audio sources available rather than also cycling though your empty Aux etc.
Folding Mirrors. Don’t have them and wouldn’t say you need them on a 2.
Sliding Armrest. Perfect for the 6MT, comes forward just enough, Hbrake still easily accessible and iDrive wheel.

Negatives
Obviously this package isn’t going to win any MPG awards. You need to go into this proposition with eyes open and prepare for maybe 30-40% fuel cost uplift. I’ve got this covered but it’s still a shocker. The tank is also not huge at 52 litres I think? Makes the range sub 400 miles for the first time in…forever but hey ho more time at petrol stations tills looking back at the car.

Space, well I’ve lost about 100litres of boot. Mrs ChesterM4 will come to the rescue with the mini changing to a larger car for trips and weekends.

I’m going to list my favourite feature as a negative too, the 6MT. Only 3 days in yet and thankfully I’ve not had a traffic jam yet but this will not be fun when it does happen. Plan will be just stick her in Eco so the stop and go pulling away isn’t as jerky.

Instrument Binnacle. No temp gauge, not great for some but I really don’t care. I’ll drive steady for the 1st 5 minutes and then if the car warns me it’s hot fair enough. Just be aware. It’s actually a nice compact view with Speedo and Rev Counter.

Had 1 rattle in a rear pop up head rest, quickly sorted as it wasn’t 100% seated into the holder. Dealer wouldn’t really have tried this so fair enough only happened when I messed with the pop up headrests.

Summary
Great, great car. It’s getting quite a few accolades and deservedly so. The M2 will be a classic but I wonder if I might just stick with her. Only time will tell, so that’s obviously a no! Very very happy customer right now. If it’s in anyway practical for you to have this car or the 228i with some toys on, it should be first on the list to test drive. Sorry to ramble all questions and photo requests welcome. Chris.

PS Sorry I know this is the F30 forum but its got the best UK attendance and I thought a few would be interested

Last edited by JustChris; 07-07-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #61
General
No_Country
Rep

Excellent write up.

Have passed it to the darling wife for a read.

I don't think anyone getting that size petrol, should even mention economy.

It's all about the feel and the experience.

Luckily would still have the 330 for dogging side of things, would never think of putting him in a coupe - open top sports car yes

Just have to chase up what deal is on the table for wife (leaving that sentence alone lol).

So how would it be on the track
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #62
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Great write-up thanks for that.

Quote:
PS Sorry I know this is the F30 forum but its got the best UK attendance and I thought a few would be interested
Oh don't worry about that. It's not like its a car no-one is interested in.......... like an Audi for instance.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #63
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Cool write up. Great car!
      07-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Decent MPG (uk unites mpg) on this mainly mway run. Very happy with that indeed, was EcoPro at 70 and kids school drop off before that.
Attached Images

07-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #65
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Congrats ... Looks great

Excellent write up ... thanks for sharing.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #66
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman999 View Post
Congrats ... Looks great

Excellent write up ... thanks for sharing.
Cheers Hitman, any luck with that order now?

On the M235i front, bad traffic home on the M56, took the scenic route and what a joy Quality tunes, sun shining, windows down, Sport mode with 320HP on manual tap...whats not to like