THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Down to 4 Configuration choices - Seeking advice

View Poll Results: Based on your experience, need recommendation from a perceived value/performance POV
A 8 13.79%
B 8 13.79%
C 17 29.31%
D 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

01-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX767 View Post
D..life is short.
This
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #24
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
So, OP, you've gotten inconsistent, if not diametrical, advice and the sample size of the poll is so small, you cannot find significant differences among the answers. This community has a diverse range of tastes, preferences, and priorities....where do you come down?

Lol....Why am I harkening back to Mr Wonderful from Shark Tank??
      01-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

OP I'm in the same boat as you, very similar configuration options. Unless you get a great deal on a loaded 228i go for the M235i. 3 liter 6 cylinder engines won't be around forever so make the most out of it and go big.

For the sake of 3 grand I'd rather have that extra grunt and that beautiful sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i View Post
Lol....Why am I harkening back to Mr Wonderful from Shark Tank??
Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it! LOL!....."So, what are you going to do?"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #27
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
The Tech Package is REALLY good! I find it necessary to look up the traffic conditions here in LA.

Is it ~2000 dollars good? That's entirely debatable to you. But for me, it's been worth every penny.

Considering what I had to put up with before:
A cheap smartphone mount. I had to store it away each time I leave my car out for extended amount of time, out of fear that someone would try to break into my car looking for an expensive GPS unit... The chances of this scenario happening are low enough that I mostly forget about storing away the mount after a few months, but high enough that I still hear it happening to people I know. And for what? A cheap phone mount....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

C
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #29
RocketJohn
Hookem Horns!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 325iX, '95 993C2

D, but ditch driver assistance, and upgrade to full cold weather pkg.

Spend the extra $600 on Premium pkg since you are already buying leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
The Tech Package is REALLY good! I find it necessary to look up the traffic conditions here in LA.

Is it ~2000 dollars good? That's entirely debatable to you. But for me, it's been worth every penny.

A cheap smartphone mount. I had to store it away each time I leave my car out for extended amount of time, out of fear that someone would try to break into my car looking for an expensive GPS unit... The chances of this scenario happening are low enough that I mostly forget about storing away the mount after a few months, but high enough that I still hear it happening to people I know. And for what? A cheap phone mount....

You could by 2 new iPhones and even an iPad for that money so what's the point of paying 2k for BMW's. The phone mounts now will nicely clip into the air vents and Apple stores have them.
      01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #31
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post

You could by 2 new iPhones and even an iPad for that money so what's the point of paying 2k for BMW's. The phone mounts now will nicely clip into the air vents and Apple stores have them.
It's totally irrelevant how much iPhones or iPads cost. Only one option is perfectly integrated into the car and uses the cars much better GPS antenna. It doesn't block any vents, doesn't have wires running to it, doesn't need it's own data plan.

Also, it doesn't just get you Nav, but also the upgraded iDrive which has several features not available on the standard iDrive, as well as a much bigger screen that can display more info through the system than the smaller standard one. Like I said, it's not essential, but it is very nice to have.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #32
F22me
Registered
Rep
Drives: cooperS

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Definitely a good eye opener. I have decided to skip the tech package since I dont rely on Navi that much currently. I have decided on option A, but with a caveat.

The debate is coral red leather vs track handling pkg.

I have driven a leather car and had a e92 with leatherette in the past. Always dreamed about having a red interior until I got good seat time with the leather. Wow, is it just me or is it quite rough and stiff!? I had to do a double check and found a sensatec to sit in and it was marginally softer in feel. TBH at that point, it felt like the premium cost for leather would just benefit in the smell and the color.

With that said, it seems as tho the track handling pkg would be more worth it, but due to the limited availability I have yet to get near one.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22me View Post
Appreciate everyone's feedback. Definitely a good eye opener. I have decided to skip the tech package since I dont rely on Navi that much currently. I have decided on option A, but with a caveat.

I have driven a leather car and had a e92 with leatherette in the past. Always dreamed about having a red interior until I got good seat time with the leather. Wow, is it just me or is it quite rough and stiff!? I had to do a double check and found a sensatec to sit in and it was marginally softer in feel. TBH at that point, it felt like the premium cost for leather would just benefit in the smell and the color.

With that said, it seems as tho the track handling pkg would be more worth it, but due to the limited availability I have yet to get near one.
Sounds like you're on a good path! Definitely the Track Handling Package...you may have to take it on faith, given the inventory situation, but if you query folks who have it, I think you'll find lots of support. If you live where the heated seats are helpful, I would suggest a mere $200 to go from heated seats to full Cold Weather Package. A warm steering wheel is a wonderful thing!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #34
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
-Living in the PNW or any wetter climates with a M235i, is getting traction a nuisance with such high low end tq figures?
-Still on the fence with using cellular gps vs getting the tech pkg. The larger screen and the integration aspect are tempting
-For those that have a 228i with the track handling pkg, have you guys noticed a night and day difference in spirited daily driving?
-I am somewhere between B and C ish. The mpg and the nibleness of the 228i is more appealing, but at the same time option C is only ~3k more but lacks tech pkg that B has.
I chose D, but I'm jaded. The only addition I had to that was the premium, but I could have left that out easily. I actually like the tech pack - the smaller screen was an eye sore to me and, once coded and fiddled with, I can make the screen show all kinds of info.

I never drove the 228. Coming from a 2.0T Audi A4, I wanted more HP, more torq, and just did not want to end up wishing I had more power. M235 and love it!

If you need coding up in PNW, more than a few of us can do!
      01-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #35
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
C or D If you go for one of the 4 bangers you will always be wondering about the creamy 6 pot engine. Even though you won't admit it.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #36
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:

I would go with the THP. While I currently have the leather seats, it was because I wanted the other things in the premium package. I actually find Sensatec to be really nice and still looks brand new many years later.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #37
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I never drove the 228. Coming from a 2.0T Audi A4, I wanted more HP, more torq, and just did not want to end up wishing I had more power. M235 and love it!
Just wanted to note that my 228i definitely feels like it puts the power down a lot better than the A4's that I've driven in the past.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #38
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Sounds like you're on a good path! Definitely the Track Handling Package...you may have to take it on faith, given the inventory situation, but if you query folks who have it, I think you'll find lots of support. If you live where the heated seats are helpful, I would suggest a mere $200 to go from heated seats to full Cold Weather Package. A warm steering wheel is a wonderful thing!
I chose not to go this route due to the extra holes in the front bumper for the headlight washers. If I could have just bought the rear sensors, no backup camera, and foregone the front sensors. Sadly, to get one part, I had to go with the full kit :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer86 View Post
Just wanted to note that my 228i definitely feels like it puts the power down a lot better than the A4's that I've driven in the past.
Mine was APR tuned, lowered, and setup better than stock :P From a stand still, in wet weather, I could get all four wheels spinning. I bet the 228 could be really fun as well, just loved the grunt of the 6 cylinders instead.
      01-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #39
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
C or D If you go for one of the 4 bangers you will always be wondering about the creamy 6 pot engine. Even though you won't admit it.
I agree with creepy coupe. The feeling of wondering what the inline six might have felt like is a shitty one to have for the rest of the years that you'll own your 228. But, that's just me.

I, personally, am willing to spend the extra bucks to paint a wider smile on my face each day that I own my 2 series. But, I don't know about your financial constraints.

That said, I'm sure the 228i is also a blast to drive. You just have to learn to live with that feeling of missing the 6 cylinder (or not, if you really don't care).
      01-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #40
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Coming from a 2.0T Audi A4, I wanted more HP, more torq, and just did not want to end up wishing I had more power. M235 and love it!
Dude, you and I have the exact same engine in our current cars !!! I drive a VW GLI Autobahn (probably not as nice as your A4) with the 2.0T TSI engine. And like you, I wanted more hp and torque, which is why I opted to go for the M235i. Like you, I didn't wanna end up wishing I had more power !

Great minds think alike

BTW, ignoring the M235i for a second, how do you like your A4 overall ? And the engine in particular ? I think the engine is a lot of fun, but has considerable turbo lag that does bite when wanting to pass. My GLI and your A4 are very nice cars, no doubt, but the M235i is sublime
      01-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #41
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
I agree with creepy coupe. The feeling of wondering what the inline six might have felt like is a shitty one to have for the rest of the years that you'll own your 228. But, that's just me.

I, personally, am willing to spend the extra bucks to paint a wider smile on my face each day that I own my 2 series. But, I don't know about your financial constraints.

That said, I'm sure the 228i is also a blast to drive. You just have to learn to live with that feeling of missing the 6 cylinder (or not, if you really don't care).
I do agree that you don't want to necessarily regret a decision, but I honestly am not wishing for more power out of my 228i, and I tested both of them.

Not sure if you drove the 228i as well, but it really does have a personality of it's own and I think it will surprise you. And IMO much better than the 2.0T as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post

Actually, there was nothing to wonder about. Drove both cars, decided I wanted the 228i, but with the 235 chassis. I liked the nimbler feel with plenty of power - most pleasing balance TO ME. It was quite the afternoon of driving! I actually went in thinking I would buy a 4 Series and drove that first - didn't love it. The 3 and 4 series bit the dust in my mind as feeling too big/less engaging. Ordered 228i with Track Package - bingo!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #43
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I chose not to go this route due to the extra holes in the front bumper for the headlight washers. If I could have just bought the rear sensors, no backup camera, and foregone the front sensors. Sadly, to get one part, I had to go with the full kit :/
I went back out to look at my car. There is a small rounded-edge square cutline under each headlamp, which I presume covers the washers...never paid attention to that before. Are those small cutlines the reason you gave up the heated steering wheel? Each to their own, but I wasn't sure I really understood what you were trying to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #44
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

B- track pack is a must. Real world, you can hardly use all the power that's in even the 228.
Appreciate 0