THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications What kind of tint

04-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
jfried1016
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i Blue

What kind of tint

So I was wondering legal limit in AZ is 33 and I need to decide between getting 35 or 15 on my front. What are your guys opinion?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Drifa
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey m235i

I use 3M crystaline on all mine, it's only 40% at the darkest but the heat reflection characteristics are just so nice in a hot climate. Plus the added bonus of not breaking any laws

I do 40 on everything but the front which gets 90.

1995 Porsche 911
2015 volvo xc-60 t6 awd
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
jfried1016
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifa
I use 3M crystaline on all mine, it's only 40% at the darkest but the heat reflection characteristics are just so nice in a hot climate. Plus the added bonus of not breaking any laws

I do 40 on everything but the front which gets 90.
It's suntek Carbon I can opt for 15 all around of 35 on the front but the windows on this car are basically just the two fronts Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I used the most expensive heat reflective 38% tint (legal in Kansas) that was available. I wouldn't want it any darker.

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
jfried1016
Rep

That looks good. I ended up going 35 in front and 15 around the rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried1016 View Post
That looks good. I ended up going 35 in front and 15 around the rest.
Damn; wish I'd caught this. SunTek is not really an A-level tint brand; I'd have avoided it. Also, you didn't note what line of SunTek tint you were using. There are five:
- CXP
- Carbon
- Infinity
- HP
- Standard

CXP and Carbon are the only ones to consider, and I hope the only ones the installer offered for you. Both are nonmetallic.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
jfried1016
Rep

I believe he only had CXP and carbon. I went with Carbon.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
jfried1016
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
I used the most expensive heat reflective 38% tint (legal in Kansas) that was available. I wouldn't want it any darker.

Quick question... Did the bumps by the rear of the window show up lighter than the rest?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
babysarah
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Suntek is actually a great brand. I've had Suntek (carbon) on two of my vehicles now. In my most honest opinion, when you are comparing similar films (say, carbon) across certain brands, 9/10 you (the consumer) will never notice a difference in quality from one brand to the other. As long as the film has been properly applied, I would say in terms of quality, Suntek is neck-and-neck with Llumar. 3M is good this is one of those circumstances in which you're paying for a brand, not quality itself.

Of course, to each their own. Everyone has their opinion.

Peeling? Bubbling? Fading? Those things are all characteristic of a poor install and improper care - not the film itself. You can't see a difference (unless colors are different), you can't feel a difference (unless you're the one applying).

My experience with film has been with Llumar, Suntek, Viper, and 3M. I've had all but 3M put on my vehicles in the past.

Edited to mention: Yes, tinting over the defroster/antenna lines will always cause the tint to look "lighter" on those parts. The lines are raised, so that difference in level when the film is applied versus being applied on a flat surface will always show.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I have Suntek CXP and I love it. My tint is ridiculously dark though. 55% windshield, 18% sides and 5% rear window. If I had to do it again I think I would do 18% all around with the 55% windshield. In terms of looks though, my car looks pretty sick. Had a cop pull up behind me at a stop light and he didn't pull me. I was sweating bullets though. I need to get a Rx from the eye doctor for light sensitivity saying that I need the tint. That'll make me legal.....I hope.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #11
jfried1016
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero
I have Suntek CXP and I love it. My tint is ridiculously dark though. 55% windshield, 18% sides and 5% rear window. If I had to do it again I think I would do 18% all around with the 55% windshield. In terms of looks though, my car looks pretty sick. Had a cop pull up behind me at a stop light and he didn't pull me. I was sweating bullets though. I need to get a Rx from the eye doctor for light sensitivity saying that I need the tint. That'll make me legal.....I hope.
Yeah I'm happy with how it looks but yeah I just didn't want to take the risk. Az cops are aggressive lol. It's legal to tint your windshield there?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #12
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

tint

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

App didn't upload my pics :/
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #14
jfried1016
Rep

Quote:
App didn't upload my pics :/
Looks good! I'll take some tomm.

Did you have any problems with the bumps on the back of the window?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

I went 17% in the back and due to state laws was forced to go 43% front. 17% or 20% all around would be ideal for me.
      05-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #16
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried1016 View Post
Looks good! I'll take some tomm.

Did you have any problems with the bumps on the back of the window?
Yeah, the tint isn't going to be flat due to the defroster lines. I knew that going into it though. There's only one spot that I'd say is abnormal and it's super minor. I'll take a pic after I'm done washing the car today.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Not legal unless you have a medical reason to be exempt from the state law, like light sensitivity. I have 5% rear and rear sides, 15% front sides, 45% front.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's the best pic I could get. The camera had a hard time focusing. That's the only imperfection I have on the rear window. The rest I would say are due to the things that are already on the rear window. I do have a series of small bubbles on the front passenger window that I thought would go away. I'm going to take it back to the shop next week to get fixed.

Oh, just to clarify, the imperfection is that line going to the right from that upside down shark fin.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
jfried1016
Rep

Quote:
Here's the best pic I could get. The camera had a hard time focusing. That's the only imperfection I have on the rear window. The rest I would say are due to the things that are already on the rear window. I do have a series of small bubbles on the front passenger window that I thought would go away. I'm going to take it back to the shop next week to get fixed.

Oh, just to clarify, the imperfection is that line going to the right from that upside down shark fin.
Nice. Yeah I have a series of tiny bumps on each window that are unable to be tinted perfectly.

Here's what mine looks like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Same here. I may have the front windshield done again with a lighter more heat cancelling film in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysarah View Post
Suntek is actually a great brand. I've had Suntek (carbon) on two of my vehicles now. In my most honest opinion, when you are comparing similar films (say, carbon) across certain brands, 9/10 you (the consumer) will never notice a difference in quality from one brand to the other. As long as the film has been properly applied, I would say in terms of quality, Suntek is neck-and-neck with Llumar. 3M is good this is one of those circumstances in which you're paying for a brand, not quality itself.

Of course, to each their own. Everyone has their opinion.
Or, an opinion based on experience, research, and friends who are in the tinting biz ...

Yes: Suntek and Llumar are about equal. Both are class B brands that used to be class A brands. They've both shifted their business model recently to serve car dealers more by pushing in-house template tinting hardware and training. This has resulted in a noticeable lowering of the quality of the tint itself -- according to the shop that I have my tint done at, which recently dropped Llumar after a long (15 years-plus) relationship with it.

Granted, that business model shift hasn't made a lot of independent shops happy at all. But others have moved away from SunTec and Llumar because of film quality issues combined with a lowering of B2B supplier-installer service quality. if you don't believe me, peruse a couple of the tint-specific forums that exist. The drop is well documented if you dig enough.

Thankfully, there are more tint brands than ever now. 3M is class A; you're not paying for the name all that much because it's a relatively recent entrant in the auto-tint market (it's produced tint for commercial buildings and such for decades) and it's aggressively digging out market share. Another class A brand, Huper Optik, is all but unknown to those outside the tint industry but is among the most expensive, even though its technology is roughly the same as what 3M uses.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
marcelo929
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 228

I got my car tinted this weekend. Unfortunately the only place that carried Huper Optik (which was my first choice) had bad reviews regarding customer service and I wasn't too comfortable having my windows done by them.

I was recommended Solar Gard Ultra Performance film by a local guy who does some of the higher end cars in town. I ended up going with it and it looks good and seems to have good heat cancelling qualities that will be much needed in South Texas.

Not sure how good of a film it is, but I am happy with the overall look and the great customer service I got.
Appreciate 0