THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235xi + 2001 911 C4 Cab or 2014 911?

04-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Jbirdie6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i X-Drive

M235xi + 2001 911 C4 Cab or 2014 911?

What would you rather?

As the title states, I'm weighing out whether I'd rather keep my current 2 car setup vs going to one. The cars I currently enjoy are a 2016 BMW M235xi auto (bought new in September) and a 2001 C4 Cabriolet 6spd. I am eyeing a CPO '14 991. Looks like most of the CPO '14 991s are around $70k with very low miles and fully optioned (want a manual).

I'm figuring after trading in the M235xi (would be under water by $5-10k, but didn't put anything down when I purchased) and selling the 996 (own that outright) that I'd probably end up with approximately the same monthly payment for the 991 that I carry today for both cars.

I do live in Cleveland, so winter weather is a factor. However, I travel primarily for work (on planes that is) and when I'm not traveling I work from my home. So I don't really drive much, and can avoid it for the most part if need be (plus the wife has a GTI). Is anyone on the forum "crazy" enough to drive their 991 in winter weather if need be, or are all these garage queens?

As I mentioned I don't get to enjoy driving as much as I would like, so having two cars does put me at a conflict from time to time. Part of my rationale is that I might enjoy having one "dream" car instead of the 2 I have now.

Anyone here face a similar decision (going from 2 really cool cars to a 991)? Did you do it? Any regrets? If not, why?

Anyway, I know this is a pretty loaded question and I'm the only one that can really answer it. But figured it was an interesting topic and would like to hear what the people in the 2er world think!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Instead of going from 2 cool cars to a cool 991, why don't you go from 2 cool cars to a freaking sweet 997?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

In my opinion you're in a similar condrum that I have w/cars, ability to drive different cars for different circumstances and situations and trying to balance economic and time constraints w/ownership options.

Given: you live in a northern climate and you seem to be most comfortable w/all wheel drive car. The 991 is actually pretty good in the snow w/ snow tires but won't be as good as your current rides w/appropriate winter tires. If the 991 were an S then you have a nice blend of power, performance, handling, and luxury. The 991 is a better overall Porsche than your current one and far above the BWM. Your Porsche is well down the depreciation curve and given Porsche resale prices it will be flat or could even flatten out. The Bmw
Is in the worst deprecitation point and will be declining an additional 20 - 15%/yr range for the next 2 yrs.

Personal choices: Do you need or want an alternative to your wife's car for specific situations such as weather, space , etc? Are you displeased or in need of replacing or expensive repairs on either of your cars?
Is the reason that you simply want the 991 and can afford/willing to make the financial?

Basically it comes down to your priorities, perceived needs, economics, and practical considerations ...a nice set of car options so from an enthusiasts stand point any combo works, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

My thinking is that you need your primary ride to be able to handle your environment. Any secondary ride should be more targeted in use.

It sounds like that's the setup you have now. Cleveland = snow. Frequently. Not to mention ice and slush since you're in the city. And Cleveland = rather cold temperatures, which can play havoc with summer performance tires unless you run that C4 on a winter setup.

My advice is stick with what you have, or sell the C4 and use that money to put down on a second, more modern 'fun' semi-seasonal car, if you can swing a second payment. You will be devastated (and car-less for a time) if you throw that RWD, rear-heavy machine into a pole ... or you can't control the 991 to evade [insert yahoo here] who loses control.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Why would you burn up $5-10k if you don't have to? You've got 2 pretty cool cars so I would use the M235i while you're in the bad depreciation zone and wait at least 2 years before looking to offload it. I mean if that much money is chump change, then thumbs up.
Appreciate 1