THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum trying to custom order N20 8AT

04-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e34 M5

trying to custom order N20 8AT

I've put an order for 228i 8AT and I wanted the non SULEV N20 in it, but the dealer is telling me that N20 only comes wit the manual trans. I would have loved to have the manual but my wife is going to use the car as DD and prefers the 8AT.

Does anyone know if what the sales associate at the dealership is telling me is correct? A friend of a friend is telling me that they were able to order N20 with 8AT.

Btw, I live in Washington.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

That's correct.

The 228i's ALL get SULEV engines except for the manual 6MT ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

If you are going to do extensive tuning, you will have more headroom with the N20 vs. the N26.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Forzaaddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM 228i coupe 6MT

Is this only in the States or world wide?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
If you are going to do extensive tuning, you will have more headroom with the N20 vs. the N26.
Will definitely do Dinan S1, that's the reason I wanted N20. I guess I am stuck with the N26 then.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well I have the Dinan S1 on my SULEV N26 and it's great, fast but refined. (See other mods in sig). However, if you are serious enough about tuning to want either a Dinan CAI tune (S2) or an intercooler tune (S3) or the S4 tune that Dinan are offering with a Big Turbo (all of which apply to the F22 and more or less to the 228i as well as the M235i), that's where it's an advantage to have the N20 because an emissions-controlled engine is not the best development platform for tuners, for obvious reasons.

Never fear, though; the N26 with the Dinan S1 is an extremely quick and well-balanced sports coupe for the street.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well I have the Dinan S1 on my SULEV N26 and it's great, fast but refined. (See other mods in sig). However, if you are serious enough about tuning to want either a Dinan CAI tune (S2) or an intercooler tune (S3) or the S4 tune that Dinan are offering with a Big Turbo (all of which apply to the F22 and more or less to the 228i as well as the M235i), that's where it's an advantage to have the N20 because an emissions-controlled engine is not the best development platform for tuners, for obvious reasons.

Never fear, though; the N26 with the Dinan S1 is an extremely quick and well-balanced sports coupe for the street.
Thank you BarryJI! Dinan S1 will be as far as I am going to go for engine mods.

I like your set up, I think I am going to have something similar to your car. Mime will be M with THP.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, the THP is indispensable if you want to get the most out of your 228, both in terms of handling and performance. Without it, you've still got a luxury coupe with sporty manners but with it, you've got a dedicated sports coupe that, with a tune, can punch WAY above its weight. The 8AT is a superb transmission, by the way; I am so glad I decided to make it the first AT I've owned in 17 years.

If you find the car at all floaty or soft, I recommend Dinan springs, bump stops and Shockware very highly. Not sure if your wife will love the stiffer ride as much as you will, though; mine doesn't.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
That's correct.

The 228i's ALL get SULEV engines except for the manual 6MT ones.
I have a non SULEV N20 in my 228i 8AT cab....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
I have a non SULEV N20 in my 228i 8AT cab....
They were available prior to MY 2016.
      04-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #11
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

How can I tell which motor is in my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
How can I tell which motor is in my vehicle?
Open up the hood and look at the engine code.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the THP is indispensable if you want to get the most out of your 228, both in terms of handling and performance. Without it, you've still got a luxury coupe with sporty manners but with it, you've got a dedicated sports coupe that, with a tune, can punch WAY above its weight. The 8AT is a superb transmission, by the way; I am so glad I decided to make it the first AT I've owned in 17 years.

If you find the car at all floaty or soft, I recommend Dinan springs, bump stops and Shockware very highly. Not sure if your wife will love the stiffer ride as much as you will, though; mine doesn't.
I think, I'll do the Shockware, but you are right, my wife wouldn't like it if I got the springs.

I have my M5 to play with on the track...I'd still want to try the 228i on the track though. I was really impressed with the car on my test drive at the dealer. For some odd reason I didn't like the M235i...and I drove the 228i second.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
I think, I'll do the Shockware, but you are right, my wife wouldn't like it if I got the springs.

I have my M5 to play with on the track...I'd still want to try the 228i on the track though. I was really impressed with the car on my test drive at the dealer. For some odd reason I didn't like the M235i...and I drove the 228i second.
Well I'm not going to feel bad for you driving a 228i with a less than optimal setup when you have an M5 to play with on the track!

The 228i is arguably better balanced and sprightlier than the M235i but it needs a tune to put its 0-60 time significantly under 5 sec. Be careful about doing the Shockware without the springs; its effect can only be fully realised with them. FWIW, the springs/bump stops are the most transformational mod I've done so you may not be able to resist, eventually. In stock form the car has too much body roll for me and too much understeer. The tune, combined with the springs, really wakes the car up and puts all the power to the road. In stock form it's a great car; with a little judicious modding it's spectacular, as long as you have the THP.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #15
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm not going to feel bad for you driving a 228i with a less than optimal setup when you have an M5 to play with on the track!

The 228i is arguably better balanced and sprightlier than the M235i but it needs a tune to put its 0-60 time significantly under 5 sec. Be careful about doing the Shockware without the springs; its effect can only be fully realised with them. FWIW, the springs/bump stops are the most transformational mod I've done so you may not be able to resist, eventually. In stock form the car has too much body roll for me and too much understeer. The tune, combined with the springs, really wakes the car up and puts all the power to the road. In stock form it's a great car; with a little judicious modding it's spectacular, as long as you have the THP.
You wouldn't recommend doing the Shockware with the stock suspention?
Btw, are the springs on the THP different then the none THP car?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think Shockware is only offered for the adaptive suspension (which is part of the THP package) and not, interestingly, for any version of the M235i. With the stock springs and adaptive suspension it will retune the shocks and dial out some of the dive and roll, but it wasn't enough for me without combining it with performance springs. The Dinan site acknowledges this.

I don't know if the springs themselves are any different on the non-THP version of the stock 228i, probably not; it's the versatility of the programming options for the shocks and steering that really makes the difference. Since I could not put it nearly as well myself, here is how the THP was explained when it was announced, here:

Quote:
The Track Handling package will consist of four elements: adaptive suspension, special Michelin Pilot tires on 18-inch wheels, variable sport steering, and upgraded brakes. The package is offered on all 228i coupes, whether equipped with the six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic.

With the adaptive suspension, the car is lower by 0.4 inch and includes front axle and central accelerometers. Working together with data from the steering-angle sensor, throttle position and brake-pressure sensors, a computer analyzes damping needs at all four corners and adjusts each damper in milliseconds in response to road conditions and driver inputs to minimize squat, dive, and roll.

The package also includes variable sport steering with a mechanical steering rack (the crowd goes wild!) and a variable-assist ratio that provides low effort at slower speeds and gradually becomes faster as the car bends deeply into corners.

The upgraded brake system features 13.4-inch rotors with fixed four-piston calipers up front; at the rear are 13.6-inch rotors with two-piston calipers. Brake pads are upgraded as well, and for a touch of flash, the calipers are finished in dark blue; the front calipers bear the M logo.

The tires are special Michelin Pilot Super Sports similar to those on the M235i coupe. They’re designed for wet grip as well as dry and the rears are wider for traction. One thing they don’t do is run flat, so a mobility kit is included, consisting of a portable 12-volt air compressor and tire sealant neatly packaged in a nylon carrying case.
As I said, for me, this package was a no-brainer, both because it's the sportiest stock version of the car (others here have said it turns the car into an "M228i") but also because it's the best platform for suspension mods. I liked the THP when I first drove it, but didn't think it went far enough so I put the car on performance springs and now the effect of the sportier driving modes on the car's manners and dynamics is what I believe it should be for the street performance enthusiast (track performance enthusiasts will want to go further). Dinan sees itself as every bit as much a suspension development company as an engine development company and their suspension mods for the 228i are really transformative. I do not believe that the non-adaptive suspension on the non-THP version of this car can offer nearly as much headroom for performance modification where it counts every bit as much as in the engine, which is in the suspension.

Last edited by BarryJI; 04-28-2016 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think Shockware is only offered for the adaptive suspension (which is part of the THP package) and not, interestingly, for any version of the M235i. With the stock springs and adaptive suspension it will retune the shocks and dial out some of the dive and roll, but it wasn't enough for me without combining it with performance springs. The Dinan site acknowledges this.

I don't know if the springs themselves are any different on the non-THP version of the stock 228i, probably not; it's the versatility of the programming options for the shocks and steering that really makes the difference. Since I could not put it nearly as well myself, here is how the THP was explained when it was announced, here:

As I said, for me, this package was a no-brainer, both because it's the sportiest stock version of the car (others here have said it turns the car into an "M228i") but also because it's the best platform for suspension mods. I liked the THP when I first drove it, but didn't think it went far enough so I put the car on performance springs and now the effect of the sportier driving modes on the car's manners and dynamics is what I believe it should be for the street performance enthusiast (track performance enthusiasts will want to go further). Dinan sees itself as every bit as much a suspension development company as an engine development company and their suspension mods for the 228i are really transformative. I do not believe that the non-adaptive suspension on the non-THP version of this car can offer nearly as much headroom for performance modification where it counts every bit as much as in the engine, which is in the suspension.
Thanks Barry! That's a verry useful info. After reading your post I am sure I will want to get the Dinan springs set up, and their exhaust too.

The labor for the springs is quoted at about 8h, that seems a bit pricy. It shouldn't take more that 2 to 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

If I am not mistaken, the M Sport version of the 228i has option 704, which is M Sport passive suspension. If you add the THP to that, the 704 option is deleted. It isn't perfectly clear, but I take that to mean that the THP uses the stock, non-M-Sport springs plus adjustable shocks to provide the (selectable) added stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
If I am not mistaken, the M Sport version of the 228i has option 704, which is M Sport passive suspension. If you add the THP to that, the 704 option is deleted. It isn't perfectly clear, but I take that to mean that the THP uses the stock, non-M-Sport springs plus adjustable shocks to provide the (selectable) added stiffness.
704 is deleted because inside ZTR (THP) is MAdaptive Suspension 2VF which replaces 704. The relationship of the calibration of 2VF to base or 704 is not clear, but 2VF is not the same as base, simply based on the vehicle lowering with 2VF.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #20
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
704 is deleted because inside ZTR (THP) is MAdaptive Suspension 2VF which replaces 704. The relationship of the calibration of 2VF to base or 704 is not clear, but 2VF is not the same as base, simply based on the vehicle lowering with 2VF.
That has to be right; I had forgotten about the 10 mm of ride-height difference. All the same, I think the springing has to be more compliant to give the ZTR-equipped car a genuine "comfort" mode. Or at least that's what I expect, rather than an M Sport ride in comfort and a harsher one in sport.
Appreciate 0