THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What wagons or crossovers do 2-series driver like? Need to buy something...

04-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

What wagons or crossovers do 2-series driver like? Need to buy something...

Looking for something for dad, he's currently in an Allroad. Wants blind spot assist, rear view camera, all the old guy safety stuff. Currently looking at either a 335 GT or X1. New Allroad won't be here until fall need something now. Most important is ease of getting in and out, comfort while driving, and fast enough that he won't get bored. Need AWD and nothing huge so no XC90. I'll be driving it too which is why I'm asking fellow 235 owners. We obvs like the same cars so what else should I be considering in a wagon / GT / crossover? Nothing insane so pls don't tell me E63 or import and RS6 avant. He had a Macan for 6 months (sick car) but it bothered his hip and knee to climb into it. Will be a bit of a goldilocks process from that perspective. This one is too high, this one is too low, etc. Need enough room for his 2 grandchildren and their crap, but not so big that mom won't drive it.

I don't want to go ask on the respective forums bc everyone will obvs tell me whatever they have is the best, so would appreciate some impartial (as much as possible) input from some like minded enthusiasts. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Have you considered the Subaru Outback? My coworker has it, and surprisingly it picks up fast. I mean it's no Macan but I enjoyed driving it. It has all the bells and whistles too like rear view camera, blind spot assistance, it's comfortable and all that for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_G View Post
Have you considered the Subaru Outback? My coworker has it, and surprisingly it picks up fast. I mean it's no Macan but I enjoyed driving it. It has all the bells and whistles too like rear view camera, blind spot assistance, it's comfortable and all that for a reasonable price.
I also have a Subaru Crosstrek and my son (who has a Cayman S as primary car) also has a Forester. Subaru is a real sleeper....extremely well engineered, comfortable, ridiculously good value, outstanding symmetical all wheel drive, IIHS Top Safety Pick+ (with their Eyesight system) etc. etc....It's really just a matter of trying the different ones in the showroom to see what feels good. These are not high-performance cars (although the Forester should be the XT model), but delightfully well thought out, comfortable and rugged cars. They also offer a sense of relaxation, as my son and I each enjoy the sense of relief/lack of worry....precisely because they are not Porsche/BMWs! I use "Sue" for parking in crowded malls and any inclement weather. In its own way, very pleasing to drive and enjoy! Worth checking out......Mazda CX9 has also gotten great reviews and has more "zoom zoom" to it, if that is desired.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-13-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

BMW 328 Sport Wagon, if not too low or too hard to get in and out of.

BMW X1, very nice. Thought it would be like a tarted up MINI, but it has a very nice interior.

Mercedes GLA, the base model wheel and tire size are great for city broken streets, and it's got paddle shifters. It has great enter and exit height.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My wife is on her 3rd Subaru wagon now. She had a 1998 Legacy GT wagon (owned 10 years), a 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited (owned 5 years), and now a 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited. The 3.6R denotes the 256hp 3.6 liter H6 motor teamed with the high torque CVT found in the WRX. All our Subarus have been extremely reliable including my 2012 WRX that I sold when I got my M235 a few months back. Subarus are crazy easy and cheap to maintain and work on as well.

Our Outback 3.6R has voice activated nav, BT, keyless entry/push button start, Pandora app, rear view camera, leather, front and rear heated seats, power front seats, heated front windshield and mirrors, moonroof, power lift gate, blind spot detection, and reclining rear seats. Subarus wonderfully simple AWD system is second best only to Nissan's ATESSA AWD system found in the GTR and Infiniti products. 3.6 H6 motor is bulletproof. The CVT in the 3.6R has programmed fake shifts so it feels more like an automatic. It also does a good job of emulating a 6 speed auto in manual mode. The car isn't a rocket, but tests show lower to mid 6 second 0-60s and the 3.6 motor has great low and midrange torque. I never have felt wanting for power in that car. The car sees around 22-23mpg is severe driving (lots of sub 5 mile trips). On the highway, we see 28-29mpg.

The current generation Outback very roomy on the inside and the rear legroom is abundant. I'm 6' 2" and with the driver's seat in my driving position, I can sit behind the seat with about 4" of space between my knees and seat back. The rear cargo area is quite large as well.

The car was $34,200 new (list was $36,500) and I can't think of a better wagon/crossover for the money. Is it German quality no? Is it cheaper and far more reliable than a German crossover. Oh yeah.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Good call on the Subies he actually had 2 outbacks in a row so probably looking to try something different but will def check those out. Really liked the ones he had but that was maybe 7-8 years ago at this point. His last one was all tarted up with Momo gear in fact.

GLA also may be worth another look, he was down to that or the Allroad when we got rid of the Macan last year. Actually asked him if he wanted to try and drop the ride height with different suspension on the Macan and he told me to quit being stupid.

3 wagon he just wasn't into for whatever reason, who knows why.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

My only concern w the Subaru route is the fit and finish think it checks all the right boxes from a feature / utility perspective but at the same time for his primary car want something that has that with a top notch interior and nice styling which is what excluded them to begin with. Only so many more cars I'll be able to buy for him so while I don't want to spend $150k on the AMG wagon, I also want something that he's really going to enjoy. Will def reconsider and give them another look though.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

I confess, I haven't driven a Volvo in a while, but I generally read good things. With that said, Volvo V60 T6 with Polestar ECU upgrade? http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/08/2...-drive-review/
      04-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

If the goal is to impress him more with a plusher car (and not just with your sense of "value"!), an MB is a good choice, but definitely not the GLA. The sister CLA on the same platform/power train has received awful ratings for quality and customer satisfaction. An MB price point squeezed out on the cheap. Start with a GLC, hugely superior in quality/capability, not just a bit bigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon
I confess, I haven't driven a Volvo in a while, but I generally read good things. With that said, Volvo V60 T6 with Polestar ECU upgrade? http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/08/2...-drive-review/
We do like volvos he had the XC60 r design a few cars ago. The Polestar may be worth a look thanks. Would love it if the new XC60 were out already but that's a few years out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
If the goal is to impress him more with a plusher car (and not just with your sense of "value"!), an MB is a good choice, but definitely not the GLA. The sister CLA on the same platform/power train has received awful ratings for quality and customer satisfaction. An MB price point squeezed out on the cheap. Start with a GLC, hugely superior in quality/capability, not just a bit bigger.
Not really looking to "impress" him per se as he couldn't care less about such things, but want something he'll look forward to seeing in the garage and enjoy being in every day. Is the GLC a lot higher that the GLA? The GLA I know he can get in and out of easily. Agree I am not a fan of the CLA would start with a C450 if going the sedan route, first thing working up the lineup worth driving IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not really looking to "impress" him per se as he couldn't care less about such things, but want something he'll look forward to seeing in the garage and enjoy being in every day. Is the GLC a lot higher that the GLA? The GLA I know he can get in and out of easily. Agree I am not a fan of the CLA would start with a C450 if going the sedan route, first thing working up the lineup worth driving IMO.
Of course, I don't know his height, but I'm probably close to his age, 6'2" and had no problems checking it out. I'd be far more trusting of the GLC within the C family. The Alabama plant had a terrible first year launching the C sedan for North America, with issues from body build to having to replace full interiors due to defective seat trim. I believe the GLC is sourced in Germany with an experienced supply base. MBUSA has probably resolved most of these issues, but that's hope and speculation. If an MB in the C family, the GLC is more likely not to have your dad knowing his Service Advisor by his first name too soon!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

The Acura rdx is pretty nice
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #14
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Callaway AeroWagen:
      04-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Of course, I don't know his height, but I'm probably close to his age, 6'2" and had no problems checking it out. I'd be far more trusting of the GLC within the C family. The Alabama plant had a terrible first year launching the C sedan for North America, with issues from body build to having to replace full interiors due to defective seat trim. I believe the GLC is sourced in Germany with an experienced supply base. MBUSA has probably resolved most of these issues, but that's hope and speculation. If an MB in the C family, the GLC is more likely not to have your dad knowing his Service Advisor by his first name too soon!
Thanks good to know. I'm not very familiar with the GLC since it just came out and I wasn't really looking in this segment. He just called me the other day and said he was sick of the Allroad so I'm on a new mission to get him something ASAP. Do you happen to know if the air suspension is like the range rovers where you can lower it to get in and out? Dad's 5'6" on a good day so has slightly different issues than you may at 6'2"
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks good to know. I'm not very familiar with the GLC since it just came out and I wasn't really looking in this segment. He just called me the other day and said he was sick of the Allroad so I'm on a new mission to get him something ASAP. Do you happen to know if the air suspension is like the range rovers where you can lower it to get in and out? Dad's 5'6" on a good day so has slightly different issues than you may at 6'2"
I'm sorry that I do not know the answer. But, if you consider that 5'6" is approximately the height of a 50th percentile female in the US population, and the primary market for this vehicle, it is reasonable to assume that this may work out well, pending him actually trying it or you making a showroom judgement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-13-2016 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: ADDED LINK TO REVIEW
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I was gonna say Q5/SQ5 but if the Macan didn't work then the Audi won't either.

My wife drove an X1 28i for a couple years (2013) and we broke lease and traded it 7 months early because we didn't like it. Only time I've ever done that. It was mostly about the throttle lag issue. It took honestly close to 2 full seconds from slamming the gas to the car deciding that meant go. It was a major safety hazard and so ridiculous that I could rapidly tap dance on the throttle and the car would completely ignore it, no revs. It was the base model also and drove like a whale.

The new X1 looks great and I would give it another go because I like the size, but I would strictly vet the throttle response and only get it in M-sport if I were to do it again.

The 335 GT is ok, but man is that thing fugly. I test drove one as part of a fan day thing and thought it was just like a slightly higher and uglier F30. Definitely a car for old dudes who are trying to be "practical" and don't care about style.

What about the 2017 Tiguan? If they put in the 2.0 TSI that matches the GTI, it should be killer. I have no idea when it's available.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
There's that GLA45 with the 2.0 litre that somehow manages 375 HP
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #19
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
We bought an X3 last September and are delighted with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #20
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Have had a number of SUVs during the past 20 years and the 2 models which impressed me most were the Subaru Forester and BMW X1. Both were easy to handle and right-sized (good for my wife) and were bullet proof from a fit, finish and reliability perspective and were actually pretty good from a performance perspective.
      04-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing insane so pls don't tell me E63 or import and RS6 avant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
There's that GLA45 with the 2.0 litre that somehow manages 375 HP
Something tells me that is more relevant to you than it will be to his dad.
OTOH, having a car that's not so plasticky and stays out the service department may be more important.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
sabynswift
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i MG/Terra/M-Sport

Depending on how down-market you're willing to go from BMW and the other German makers, the Mazda 3 hatch is really good. It has blind spot, backup cameras, heated seats, leather, etc for a super reasonable price. And, you get can get it with a 6-speed MT!
Appreciate 0