THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Defect in sensatec seat? Is this covered?

04-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Took it to the dealer and as expected they said that it's not covered. The more I think about it the more I think that this is BS. I've owned several cars with synthetic leather seats and not a single one of them has damage like this. Then throw in the fact that the car is less than two months old.

Anyway, I'll look for some leather touch up and hope that more damage doesn't occur.
Must say I am not surprised.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It really looks like something somewhat sharp snagged the seat and tore it. When synthetic leathers and certain cheap leather products delaminate, it almost always occurs on a single panel and in a much larger area. What you've depicted shows abrasion/cut/tear, especially since the issue occurred on two separate panels, in the same area of the seat, and in an area very exposed to abrasion, wear and tears, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #25
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Took it to the dealer and as expected they said that it's not covered. The more I think about it the more I think that this is BS. I've owned several cars with synthetic leather seats and not a single one of them has damage like this. Then throw in the fact that the car is less than two months old.

Anyway, I'll look for some leather touch up and hope that more damage doesn't occur.
Wouldn't hurt to try and contact customer relations, I used to work for Chrysler warranty services years ago and a number of times things dealers turned down we would be a 3rd party that spoke between the service manager and the customer. More times than not when a vehicle was within warranty and purchased new, Chrysler helped pay all or some of it with a deductible. Worth a shot.

1-800-831-1117 is the number listed on the website.
      04-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #26
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Wouldn't hurt to try and contact customer relations, I used to work for Chrysler warranty services years ago and a number of times things dealers turned down we would be a 3rd party that spoke between the service manager and the customer. More times than not when a vehicle was within warranty and purchased new, Chrysler helped pay all or some of it with a deductible. Worth a shot.

This is good advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #27
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post

Sweet, thanks. I'll give that a shot. I don't think "oh, it must be your pants" is an acceptable explanation. It's not like I changed my wardrobe to become some wannabe punk rocker with spikes all over the freaking place. :/ I mean, I knew going into it that buying a BMW meant accepting lower quality materials for a higher quality driving experience, but this is a bit insane.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #28
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Cow hide is one the the strongest materials on the planet. Especially steer hide. It is superior to synthetic materials in every way if protected, which BMW leather is protected leather. I always wondered why folks go the synthetic route thinking it will hold up better...it does not. The only place where I think synthetic may do a little better is wrinkles. Cow Hide stretches more, so you will get more puddling and wrinkles over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #29
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Cow hide is one the the strongest materials on the planet. Especially steer hide. It is superior to synthetic materials in every way if protected, which BMW leather is protected leather. I always wondered why folks go the synthetic route thinking it will hold up better...it does not. The only place where I think synthetic may do a little better is wrinkles. Cow Hide stretches more, so you will get more puddling and wrinkles over time.
To be fair, I don't expect it to hold up better than leather. I do expect it to hold up at least as well as the "leatherette" found in my previous Hondas and Acuras and my current Mercedes. I guess that's too much to ask though lol.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 04-26-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #30
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Sorry you are having to deal with this in a brand-new -- and much-anticipated -- car, Bent. Stuff like this can take a bit of the shine off the experience but in two years -- especially as you say you have kids -- a certain amount of wear and tear will go mercifully unnoticed or at least un-worried about.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #31
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, I don't expect it to hold up better than leather. I do expect it to hold up at least as well as the "leatheretter" found in my previous Hondas and Acuras and my current Mercedes. I guess that's too much to ask though lol.
It's not too much to ask, and I would be seriously working on this being "good willed" for you through BMW NA and your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
BMW's Dakota leather is also bonded leather, meaning that it is not 100 percent cowhide. It is, for lack of a better way to state it, a chemically blended sheet of synthetic and natural fibers.

Generally speaking, bonded leather is far inferior to 100 percent leather in both strength and durability. That's why you don't see bonded leather motorcycle jackets/suits, or bonded leather horse saddles, or bonded leather (real) cowboy boots, etc. Depending on the grade, size, and treatment (chrome tanned steer hide vs., say, softened and supple napa leather), this is why 100 percent leather costs so much more, which is why you can buy full-size "leather" sofas for a grand instead of $3-$4k.

So, YMMV, but leather is not always the better option. Dakota leather, IMHO, is not the better option because, well, it's sorta-kinda fake.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #33
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
BMW's Dakota leather is also bonded leather, meaning that it is not 100 percent cowhide. It is, for lack of a better way to state it, a chemically blended sheet of synthetic and natural fibers.

Generally speaking, bonded leather is far inferior to 100 percent leather in both strength and durability. That's why you don't see bonded leather motorcycle jackets/suits, or bonded leather horse saddles, or bonded leather (real) cowboy boots, etc. Depending on the grade, size, and treatment (chrome tanned steer hide vs., say, softened and supple napa leather), this is why 100 percent leather costs so much more, which is why you can buy full-size "leather" sofas for a grand instead of $3-$4k.

So, YMMV, but leather is not always the better option. Dakota leather, IMHO, is not the better option because, well, it's sorta-kinda fake.
All true...it does look fake too. Then again my car is two years old and the seats look brand new...so there is that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #34
dwads
Registered
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i MG/CR

I had this same issue with red leather within 6 months of ownership. My damage was less holes and more abrasions on the piping. The dealer blamed it on me. They said they'd repair just once then it was all on me. I'm careful getting out of the car and didn't like their finger pointing. I called customer service and they gave me the same offer. All told, the leather quality is just not very good on the 2'er.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #35
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwads View Post
I had this same issue with red leather within 6 months of ownership. My damage was less holes and more abrasions on the piping. The dealer blamed it on me. They said they'd repair just once then it was all on me. I'm careful getting out of the car and didn't like their finger pointing. I called customer service and they gave me the same offer. All told, the leather quality is just not very good on the 2'er.

It is what it is...it's not just the 2er...it's all BMWs with Dakota or Nevada leather. It is not full grain leather and is made from splits and highly processed with embossed grain and heavy protective coating which will keep if from fading. However protected leather is not immune to abrashion marks. It does breath though unlike leatherette which will make you sweat in the summer heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #36
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
All true...it does look fake too. Then again my car is two years old and the seats look brand new...so there is that.
True -- and proper care is definitely a factor. Bonded leather usually -- but not always -- reacts well to normal leather treatments and care techniques. One of the advantages of faux leathers such as SensaTec is that it requires less upkeep to look decent. One of the disadvantages, as the OP has experienced, is that faux leather tends to wear unevenly, particularly when used in non-flat high-wear locations such as piping and seams. Leather's inherent strength and tear resistance makes it ideal for that -- which is why you rarely see grommets over shoelace holes on shoes with genuine leather uppers and vamps.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #37
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

So what do you guys use for your leather seats ? I noticed alot of BMWs with leather have VERY early bolster wear, like as soon as 10-20k miles on some
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #38
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
True -- and proper care is definitely a factor. Bonded leather usually -- but not always -- reacts well to normal leather treatments and care techniques. One of the advantages of faux leathers such as SensaTec is that it requires less upkeep to look decent. One of the disadvantages, as the OP has experienced, is that faux leather tends to wear unevenly, particularly when used in non-flat high-wear locations such as piping and seams. Leather's inherent strength and tear resistance makes it ideal for that -- which is why you rarely see grommets over shoelace holes on shoes with genuine leather uppers and vamps.

To be honest I have not put a thing on my seats other than a very rare wet towel wipe down...they still look brand new...it is garaged however.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #39
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
So what do you guys use for your leather seats ? I noticed alot of BMWs with leather have VERY early bolster wear, like as soon as 10-20k miles on some
I did absolute zero maintenance on leather seats in my 2001 330i. When I sold it last year after 180K miles it was kind of dirty and had a few surface cracks but otherwise held up well.
Appreciate 0