THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery seeking pre-deposit advice

12-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
idontkickpuppies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 240i on order

seeking pre-deposit advice

I'm submitting my deposit on a 240i next week. Had my eyes on an M2 but decided it was a bit too brash. I knew going in there would be zero negotiation on the price of that model. As best I can tell, 240s are more easily obtained but still require a deposit. I'd love to get a 235i but the only new ones I've found in my region have premium pricing.

Regardless of whether you have a 228, 235, or 240, is there anything you wished you'd done/stipulated prior to making your deposit? This is the only time I'll have any leverage and I want to make the most of it. One tactic I'll definitely try is getting compensated for opting to not take both the auto trans and moonroof. Has anyone gotten allowances for those?

If you have any advice for me at this stage of the process, please share.

Last edited by idontkickpuppies; 12-04-2016 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontkickpuppies View Post
I'm submitting my deposit on a 240i next week. Had my eyes on an M2 but decided it was a bit too brash. I knew going in there would be zero negotiation on the price of that model. As best I can tell, 240s are more easily obtained but still require a deposit. I'd love to get a 235i but the only new ones I've found in my region have premium pricing.

Regardless of whether you have a 228, 235, or 240, is there anything you wished you'd done/stipulated prior to making your deposit? This is the only time I'll have any leverage and I want to make the most of it. One tactic I'll definitely try is getting compensated for opting to not take both the auto trans and moonroof. Has anyone gotten allowances for those?

If you have any advice for me at this stage of the process, please share.
I was offered 6% off MSRP and did not have to put a deposit down prior to ordering. I would negotiate at least a 5% discount prior to putting a deposit down. I've seen as high as 9% off on M240i's.
      01-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Ok first off auto trans and moonroof plan is not going to get you anywhere don't waste your time.

Next, basic common sense, call a number of dealers with exactly what you want and let them bid for your business. Once you have a few offers, written offers, in hand play them against each other. Don't waste your time or theirs. Send the best offer to second best dealer and ask him to beat it, etc.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Two things when I shopped for my 235, any dealer that said concerning pricing "I'll have no problem moving this car" with the insinuation they wouldn't negotiate...I walked. At the very least I wanted the dealer to want my business or want to sell a car to me. So any dialogue from a sales manager with the idea the dealership was doing me a favor by selling at full MSRP, I eliminated that business.

But I also wasn't out to negotiate to very little profit for the salesperson - and getting a feel for what that price should be is a bit of a challenge.

And the more salespeople and dealerships (Internet or Walk-in) you contact (without wasting their time but getting the important info)
you'll get a feel for who comes across the best or who comes across as someone you can (feel comfortable) buying from.

Almost forgot, I left a deposit. I have no issue with doing that, always with the acknowledgment that that deposit is refundable. So why a deposit? I know guys that have gone to multiple dealerships and ordered cars knowing that some or all the dealerships wouldn't get the sale.

Last edited by overcoil; 01-05-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I was offered 6% off MSRP and did not have to put a deposit down prior to ordering. I would negotiate at least a 5% discount prior to putting a deposit down. I've seen as high as 9% off on M240i's.
Middle of winter you can do better than that

If you cant get at LEAST a "Great Price" according to True Car estimates then find another dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
idontkickpuppies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 240i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Next, basic common sense, call a number of dealers with exactly what you want and let them bid for your business. Once you have a few offers, written offers, in hand play them against each other. Don't waste your time or theirs. Send the best offer to second best dealer and ask him to beat it, etc.
Yeah I've been doing this via email for the last couple weeks. Right now it looks like I'll be getting 12.5% off MSRP, plus any discounts available at delivery. That percentage includes USAA's $2k offer.

Last edited by idontkickpuppies; 01-06-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0