THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Vehicle 2 Recommendations

01-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Vehicle 2 Recommendations

I have a 16 M235i, which I absolutely love as my performance car. What would one recommend as a second vehicle? I'm loooking for it to be comfortable to take on long road trips and in the high 30ks to 40k range. Some sort of performance would be nice too, if possible. I was thinking Forester XT, C Class, etc. I don't know if I want it to be a crossover or sedan. Leaning more towards a crossover size. I know people will say go take a test drive and see what fits your needs and what you like. I am just trying to get some more ideas on my second car from my fellow 2 series owners.

If I had the money, I would for sure get the Macan. Just out of my budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

There's a BMW dealer in TN who has a steeply discounted 2015 X1 xDrive35. It's the old one before they went to the mini platform and an awesome car. Think it has 120 miles on it. Awesome car I'd get it myself if I had even a tiny need for it. Too many cars already. Warranty hasn't started on it or anything it's truly a new car not exec demo or loaner. I'm not affiliated with them in any way was bored and just started looking for cars last week for no reason. For what you're describing I cannot imagine a better car in your budget. And I've had a macan this isn't that but performance wise not too far off.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
smitty16s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 and X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBimmer View Post
I have a 16 M235i, which I absolutely love as my performance car. What would one recommend as a second vehicle? I'm loooking for it to be comfortable to take on long road trips and in the high 30ks to 40k range. Some sort of performance would be nice too, if possible. I was thinking Forester XT, C Class, etc. I don't know if I want it to be a crossover or sedan. Leaning more towards a crossover size. I know people will say go take a test drive and see what fits your needs and what you like. I am just trying to get some more ideas on my second car from my fellow 2 series owners.

I have a 2013 x3 xdrive35i. Really great vehicle for comfort and driving, I just miss having a m235i, so I'm looking to get back into one. This thing is perfect for what your looking for. You could get a cpo for around 33k. I'm trying to sell mine for around 30k
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Kinda funny because I was going to recommend the 2016 X1 after they updated it. I have a '14 M235i and my wife drives a '16 c300. We recently traded my murano for the X1 as it's a car we can both drive (she's 5'1, so we couldn't get anything much bigger). I'm not a huge fan of the c-class, feels like it floats too much. I prefer my daily driver to be a crossover and the X1 surprised me with how much room and storage there is, plus it drives more like a sedan. It was parked next to an x3 and the size difference was marginal. Would recommend giving it a look.

If I had my choice though I would've gone with something bigger, like an MDX or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Last edited by wanofakind01; 01-09-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Also been looking for a second vehicle.
235 is pretty good so the flaws in a lot of other cars are more apparent.

C-class ( owned 2 previous models ) Beyond depreciation of the 4-cylinder is a great car. However, on the highway, they seem to be best at very high speed. Even my 235 is fun at 55, but in the C-class at 55 it feels unplanted, they just work better at 100mph. I know I seem crazy describing the C-class like this.

My GF's Honda Accord is a great car for road trips. With both Bridgestone and now Michelin, on the highway in the severest rain storm, the car is quiet, never feels like it will hydroplane, even the wipers are nearly silent. Extremely comfortable and drivetrain is bullet-proof.

Just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
pre-owned GLA45 for that price range? Crossover+performance. Just don't be surprised when it's faster than your 235
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/bmw...-and-info-news

Do you need the vehicle soon?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For a DD, you might want to check out the Mazda crossovers - not the same pedigree as Merc or BMW, but they seem to be the target for that X2 linked above. I think they do a pretty good job of retaining some of the connected driving feeling, even if they aren't going to burn up autobahn at 100+, and much more economical so you can afford all those mods on the fun car (even buying new I think you can get them mid 30's, but I'm out of date.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      01-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Here's the car I was talking about. They will let it go for $38K, you could probably do a little better.

http://www.kingsportbmw.com/new/BMW/...bec92b69c8.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:

YMMV, but I feel a second car should be, as much as possible, what your first car isn't but still 'checks your boxes'. For instance: I've never owned a second car, but I've owned a second vehicle -- a motorcycle. I've even had two bikes plus a car: one sporty road bike/one track bike/one car; and one literbike V-twin/one thumper supermotard/one car. In each case, one bike checked a bunch of boxes, the other bike checked other boxes, and the car checked a bunch, too.

I wouldn't own a second BMW as a second car; they're all just too similar. Since you're thinking long trips and gravitating toward a crossover in your price range, I'd look at a Grand Cherokee for its off-road capability, or the new Infiniti QX30 or Lexus NX for a just-out SUV getting great reviews. Maybe even a CPO Volvo V60.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
YMMV, but I feel a second car should be, as much as possible, what your first car isn't but still 'checks your boxes'. For instance: I've never owned a second car, but I've owned a second vehicle -- a motorcycle. I've even had two bikes plus a car: one sporty road bike/one track bike/one car; and one literbike V-twin/one thumper supermotard/one car. In each case, one bike checked a bunch of boxes, the other bike checked other boxes, and the car checked a bunch, too.

I wouldn't own a second BMW as a second car; they're all just too similar. Since you're thinking long trips and gravitating toward a crossover in your price range, I'd look at a Grand Cherokee for its off-road capability, or the new Infiniti QX30 or Lexus NX for a just-out SUV getting great reviews. Maybe even a CPO Volvo V60.
All sorts of personal strategies, for sure. One place where I would really although respectfully differ is even considering the Lexus NX. My son leased one on an impulse. I drove it, and I found it awful...."rubber bandy" drivetrain...numb steering (far moreso than anything BMW!) feeling very much like the Toyota RAV 4 it is underneath. My much less costly Subaru Crosstrek feels derived from much more competent engineering and certainly far more fun to drive. He also became disenchanted quickly and managed to get out of the NX lease. Two NX thumbs down from me!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
All sorts of personal strategies, for sure. One place where I would really although respectfully differ is even considering the Lexus NX. My son leased one on an impulse. I drove it, and I found it awful...."rubber bandy" drivetrain...numb steering (far moreso than anything BMW!) feeling very much like the Toyota RAV 4 it is underneath. My much less costly Subaru Crosstrek feels derived from much more competent engineering and certainly far more fun to drive. He also became disenchanted quickly and managed to get out of the NX lease. Two NX thumbs down from me!
I hear you, and concur -- I'm not surprised by the handling feedback regarding the NX, though I gotta say that I really like the NX's looks. Right there with you about the Subie, too: I'm a big fan of 'em, having owned a WRX before and with friends that own a Forester and an Outback. I hesitate recommending one, though, because Subies aren't really good long-trip vehicles for the price. Interiors and equipment are a notch or two below the competition. That's always been Subaru's major weakness: its interiors are always at least a generation behind almost everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

4Runner.

Thank me later. Everything Toyota holds their value like crazy.. and the 4Runners are extremely awesome and well built
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty16s View Post
I have a 2013 x3 xdrive35i. Really great vehicle for comfort and driving, I just miss having a m235i, so I'm looking to get back into one. This thing is perfect for what your looking for. You could get a cpo for around 33k. I'm trying to sell mine for around 30k
I also have an X3. 2012 xdrive28i and love it. Comfortable, as we drive to Fla. every year, quick, handles great with plenty of room.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Here's the car I was talking about. They will let it go for $38K, you could probably do a little better.

http://www.kingsportbmw.com/new/BMW/...bec92b69c8.htm
Thanks for sharing. I would consider but my timeline is actually a little further out. Just trying to here everyone's feed back and what works for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

Our "2nd car" is a Mercedes Benz GLK 350 4matic. Comfortable, quiet, good road manners, reasonable MPG and solid as a bank vault. And the most important point is that my wife loves it.

And on really long trips, I prefer it over my M235i. I've made several 11+ hour days in it and although a bit tired at the end of the day, I was not saddle sore.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #17
Bill Kayen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230ix cabrio, 2021 X3

Garage List
I too have a GLK. It is a solid comfortable SUV that holds a lot and is small enough to drive easily. The new GLC is amazing and winning many awards. Maybe you can find a dealer demo of a GLC and save some bucks. I also think the new X1 is beautiful. Very versatile for its size. Enjoy your search. There are many good choices out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I have a 2013 335i M-Sport and wife drives a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible. Both are great for road trips as well as spirited driving. Obviously the 335i has more room, but when it's just the 2 of us, the 228i has been a great road car. We have previously owned a Honda and a Nissan as her car, but she really preferred BMW. If you don't want to buy a new one, look at CPO or used with a BMW Gold warranty. I prefer cars over whatever they call the boxmobiles these days, as we have no need for one of those.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I have a 2013 335i M-Sport and wife drives a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible. Both are great for road trips as well as spirited driving. Obviously the 335i has more room, but when it's just the 2 of us, the 228i has been a great road car. We have previously owned a Honda and a Nissan as her car, but she really preferred BMW. If you don't want to buy a new one, look at CPO or used with a BMW Gold warranty. I prefer cars over whatever they call the boxmobiles these days, as we have no need for one of those.
They call them Utility vehicles. Try driving 1500 miles to Florida for 2 months with lots of luggage, bike inside, golf clubs etc in either of your vehicles and you will understand why we have a box mobile and a 228ix. The X3 is not exactly a box mobile. Different strokes for different folks dude.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
There are all kinds of really good, fun-to-drive Sport Utes and small wagons / 5-door hatch's on the market these days. Sport Utes, SUVs and Trucks are THE high margin vehicles that keep the lights on and pay the bills for both manufacturers and dealers so they can also sell fun and less practical vehicles like my 2 Series vert. Unfortunately, at some point, when the market is completely saturated by these vehicles, gas prices will creep back up to pre-2009 levels, or more, and the party will end and folks will be looking for Prius's and Civics and dumping their beloved SUVs.

I'd second Mazda. We loved my wife's CX-9 and only traded for the Q5 because we didn't need the space and 3rd row seating in the Mazda any more. My son has a Mazda 3 5-door that he loves and I am very impressed with. The new CX-5 has received great reviews.

As much as I love my M235i, we couldn't live without my wife's Q5 too, and even though I don't drive it much, I'd also be hard pressed to get by without my truck. Best of luck with your search.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
smitty16s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 and X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
They call them Utility vehicles. Try driving 1500 miles to Florida for 2 months with lots of luggage, bike inside, golf clubs etc in either of your vehicles and you will understand why we have a box mobile and a 228ix. The X3 is not exactly a box mobile. Different strokes for different folks dude.
What part of Florida are you in?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #22
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
See that's the thing...I wouldn't be transporting all that stuff in either vehicle. When we moved from TX to NC, we put all the clothes and other whatnot we'd need for 6 weeks while living in a furnished rental house in the trunk of the 335. There were some items that we didn't want the movers to carry and store (weapons, jewelry, cameras, etc.) that fit in there too. Plus, we had our 2 cats in carriers on the back seat. If I really needed something to carry a lot of stuff, I'd probably get an F31 wagon. Old school, dude!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0