THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help with creaking, rattles and my sanity :)

10-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
mraptor
Rep
Drives: M235i

Exclamation Help with creaking, rattles and my sanity :)

Hi Everyone!

New user from the UK so hopefully you can all help me with a few niggles I am having with my 5 month old M235i and my local dealer. The car is suffering from a number of rattles and creaks that are driving me absolutely bonkers, especially at night time when trying to enjoy the car. The car has been back into the dealer 4 times already now, and even with the videos and taking the technical manger out for a drive, I am no closer to getting this resolved. I have a case open with BMW UK.

Hopefully, somebody on this forum has had the same problem or can at least point me in the right direction.

Rattle one: Driver side HK speaker (or around it) - this noise is like a continuous clicking noise that is most notable at motorway speeds. I have a video of it, which I will post if I figure out how to. It seems to be coming from the HK speaker itself, but I can not get it to replicate.

Rattle two: Sunroof or roof lights - this one sounds like a lose plastic part from the roof. Apparently the light has been repaired three times now, rails replaced and seals greased, but comes back randomly.

Creak three: Rear passenger side area - Every time accelerating or coming to a stop, the car creaks from the rear. I can do this every time in first gear by rocking the accelerator.

So far though the arm rest and passenger seat has been replaced for rattles and squeaks. Along with the exhaust tips for discoloration.

Not expecting a fully silent BMW on 19" fun flats, but I have never had a premium car with such rattles.

Anyone please point me in the right direction please?

I will post videos if someone can show me how?

M235i M235i - Melbourne Red, fully loaded. M-Performance wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Hi mate. There is a lot of discussion of 'clicking' noise, it isn't that? Coming from wheels, hubs or bearings. This seems to be common.
      10-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
mraptor
Rep

Hi, thanks for getting back. The noise is more of a creak than a clicking noise I feel, though it does sound to be coming back from rear bench or suspension.

Here is the front A pillar noise that BMW says can not find the fault

https://vid.me/v9HQ

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
mraptor
Rep

Bump - anyone? Car is in at the moment and would like something to go back with

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
matthibodeau
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

My glovebox rattles quite a bit, other than that nothing..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraptor View Post

This sounds like static noise coming from the speaker. But I would guess that your dealer already checked it. Anyway, can you unplug the speaker and see if it's still noisy?

PS: there are some youtube videos about static noise on E65 7 Series. But it is not as bad as yours.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      10-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
mraptor
Rep

Cheers - yeah I first thought it could be static, though the noise slightly goes away when I press the speaker firm in. Also, BMW said they removed the speaker, went on a test drive and the noise remained.

Got to be something lose or rubbing? External mirror?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Please help me resolve these too -- especially passenger door and driver's side...I'm besieged by these rattles. A bit upset too that there are so many.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Only rattle , when doors are slammed.
      10-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Happy to report zero rattles in my '15 m235i.

Of course, I improve my odds slightly by doing moonroof deletion.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
mraptor
Rep

Had a few issues with the sunroof/moonroof but that was all sorted with new seals and rails.

Though the rest is really getting on my nerves now

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

My passenger door rattles, as does the rear deck. But I found out what was causing the rear deck rattle. There are little plastic clips covering the child seat locks? Or some fold down portion. Anyways, should be easy to locate them.

If you want to test it out, open and close the clip a couple of times, and then knock on the area of the deck around it. You should be able to reproduce this pretty regularly.

I hear some rattles from the drivers side door near the tweeter, above my head near where the window closes. In the center of the dash somewhere as well. I have asked them to look at it a couple of times, but usual dealer BS, we cannot reproduce it.
      10-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
mraptor
Rep

Cheers guys - quick update. Dealership called and BMW UK is helping them investigate as they can not resolve the creaking problems. I think this must be suspension related after reading around on here.

Car has been in for over a week now, and I am in currently driving a loan 420d Vert. Bit of a different ride!

Since this is visit 5 - I can only see three outcomes now.

1.) They fix it
2.) They swap the car (less than six months old)
3.) Compensation for losing 4 weeks of the vehicle

Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      10-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #14
arun21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

My driver side window is starting to creak a bit as well as the front dash only on ONE specific road. Overall still pleased.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

I think my car has the three issues too.

The noise on the tweeter įrea (dont have tweeter nor hk) is more like a "tick tick".

Moonroof rails get greased every other month and the rattle keeps coming out.

In the rear area they have not find it and is the one that anoyes me the most.

BMW after sales in Mexico saddly is a very forgotten area of the bussiness , so have to live with them. I rather have this 3 noises than let them destroy my car looking for the causes.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
mraptor
Rep

Interesting to see you have the same problems, though not nice that you have them!

I could live with a slight rattle, but not in this area and this loud. BMW have the chance to fix it. If they make it worse, the car gets rejected. In the UK precedence has been already set with quality issues and rejecting. Though I am giving BMW UK the chance to put this right and fix all three. No driver should expect constance creaking and rattling from a £40K+ car.

Hoping though the moonroof\sunroof rattle does not come back in time... To quote the BMW Techy.... "that sound is awful"

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I don't meant to sound like a whiney person, but the rattles are super annoying. I have a noticeable one from passenger door panel, rear deck, and somewhere around the drivers door panel or above my head. I haven't been able to locate it directly as it happens only on certain roads. The crappy thing is, everytime ive taken the tech for a ride, it wont do it on any of the roads near the dealer.

I think next time I will properly scout out the crap out of the area near the dealer to find a road that makes the car rattle. And then take him there. I understand the problem with chasing down rattles, to you its obvious because it is your car, you know exactly the sound. Them having to hunt them down, can be a bit harder.

So i will try this before my next service, and hopefully i can reproduce the noise next time reliably, and it will be a thing of the past.
      10-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #18
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Let me add a new one to the mix:
Something rattles behind the radio. I am unable to pinpoint it but it sounds like something loose in the center dash. When driving on bad quality roads (i.e. all the time in New York) it drives me nuts.
Of course everything is sealed off, meaning I can't get inside from the foot well or the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraptor View Post
Hi, thanks for getting back. The noise is more of a creak than a clicking noise I feel, though it does sound to be coming back from rear bench or suspension.

I have this exact problem on the drive side of my car. It only seems to appear when the road is slightly rough and I'm traveling between 110-120km/h.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Let me add a new one to the mix:
Something rattles behind the radio. I am unable to pinpoint it but it sounds like something loose in the center dash. When driving on bad quality roads (i.e. all the time in New York) it drives me nuts.
Of course everything is sealed off, meaning I can't get inside from the foot well or the glove box.
I've heard this one in my car as well. Honestly, what I plan on doing is scouting out the roads near my dealer before I take the car in, and see if I can find one that will readily reproduce the issue.

Then when it comes time to complain, just take him for a ride along. They also then have a place to test it themselves. Realistically intermittent squeaks and rattles are terrible to diagnose, and I do feel for the techs, they are not with the car as much as we are, so it can be harder to reproduce. Out of 3 drives I took with them, only once did the rattles show up. (Roads too damn smooth). So prior to my next service visit I will get a good drive of the surrounding roads.
      10-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #21
jabber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 218d f23

had numerous noise problems with my 1 series convertible now have a 220d convertible I think its even worse than the 1series definitely should have gone with a audi a3 convertible
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #22
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

I have a rattle from the radio/hvac area, going to take my car in tomorrow because its getting worse, and more annoying.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00