THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone have a POV (M235xi / M240xi - snow & ground clearance)

01-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I have xdrive w/ Conti snow tires, and it is like a snow-track, hard to upset it at all unless I'm really trying. The only time I had clearance problems was when we got about 18" of that ultra-dense packed powder, and my plow guy stood me up. I was able to move in it, but slow going. This season I'm trying s/t new and using Eco mode as a 'snow traction mode' but have only had a couple storms bad enough to try, not sure it really helps anything - sport mode throttle would be a mistake, I think, especially with the extra power of a 240.

Never drove the BMW on all seasons, but I'm a dedicated snow-tire fan - now that I've tried dedicated snow tires I'll never go back. Ditto to the comments above, and I would also add that the winter tires are also a big help for hydroplane resistance, with the deep slush and heavy standing water. I've also found that the snow tires don't wear as bad as I expected during warmer times, so I'm less bothered about having to get them off at the 'just right' point between last snow and warm weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC 07 View Post
Anyone out there have an opinion on the M235xi or the M240xi in snow? Also, anyone with these cars have an issue w/ ground clearance in snowy conditions? I have an M240xi on order. Curious what folks in the snow belt have experienced ... quality of all-wheel drive performance and ground clearance in the winter ??? I live in eastern PA, so snow is not that big of an issue ... may be an issue 4-5 times in a winter. Like to hear what M235xi and M240xi owners have to say.
Ran my M235 RWD for two winters. Leaving in Quebec so getting lots of snow. I had good set of winter tires (Hakkappelitta) and it was a joy. Only drawback was that it was too tempting to run without the traction control enabled and went through 2 tires each winter.

Car is stored for the winter this year because we have an SUV and I did not need it but no need to worry driving those cars during heavy snow. With good winter tires and all electronics switched to On it is very stable and predictable and none intrusive. AWD must be even better and I never got any clearance issue. AWD is higher as well if I recall so no worry.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I've had a number of AWD sport sedans and coupes over the years. S4, 235 xDrive, etc. all with dedicated winter wheel and tires. I have never had a single problem in the hilly Northeast and have often passed SUVs stuck at the side of the road. That said, don't be an idiot and you will be fine. If it's really shitty out, stay home. Unless you are on call at the hospital and absolutely need to get there, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. 18" of snow in a day and nothing is plowed yet? Skip the commute and VPN in from home. Very few of us really "need" to leave the house when weather is crap anymore. I was always more concerned with being out somewhere, weather starts getting bad, and being unable to get home. That happened to me once in a RWD Benz, but in the xDrive BMW you will be perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #26
WildWest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235ix

Question Ground Clearance Question on M235i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC 07 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like Joe240 and Topdown240 love their M240xi and that the vehicle operates well in the snow for an all well drive car when called upon. It appears as if the ground clearance is 5.5" inches at the low point up front (physical measurment). BMW Genius spec says that the ground clearance is 5.1" inches, however, that location is somewhere under the car and not the front end. If anyone else has a POV ... love to hear your thoughts on performance in the snow and front end ground clearance?
I'm buying a 2016 M235i XDrive Coupe and live where I have to drive over a 2 mile stretch of gravel/dirt road with some potholes. First off I can't find any specs on the M235i there. I have found the 5.1 inch ground clearance detail for the M235 on other web sites. I was hoping if I remove the lip/spoiler off the front of the car that it would at least slightly increase my ground clearance when I accidently hit one of those Pot Holes. Would it help to put it in sport mode to stiffen the suspension to keep the car from getting damaged when hitting these holes.

Your thoughts on advantage of removing the front lip and running in sport mode to reduce the chances of damage????
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:35 PM   #27
SizzlerWA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240 XDrive

The ground clearance was fine. The Cinturato all seasons were ok on snow and slush but skid like a MOFO on an icy hill. On hills I felt far more confident with my RWD 330 on Blizzak WS70. This year I got Blizzak LM001 and they are much better on ice than the AS and not too much worse on dry on my M240 XDrive.
Appreciate 0