THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Who has sat in the 2 series

01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Who has sat in the 2 series

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Please anyone from Detroit show have a chance to sit in the car. I'm 5'10 with a 7 and 9 year old, will rear room be an issue at all. From what I've seen of the F21 or F22 these both look ok and as long as head room only is down for the coupe I cant see a problem?
      01-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
doppler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
Please anyone from Detroit show have a chance to sit in the car. I'm 5'10 with a 7 and 9 year old, will rear room be an issue at all. From what I've seen of the F21 or F22 these both look ok and as long as head room only is down for the coupe I cant see a problem?
I sat it in. The dimensions are not terribly different from a 1 series. I'm 5'10" as well, and we routinely have adults in the back of our 135 for 30 minute trips around the city. It's snug, but not miserable. I would add that I sit relatively close to the wheel by choice. The extra .7 inches of rear legroom (or whatever it is) will only help, but it's still going to be a bit tight for adults. Kids should be fine.

edit: Car looks awesome in person. Front end is well sorted.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Superb thanks Doppler, I think this is it, loaded M235i here I come for summer 2014 Looking forward to some old skool NMW and 6MT to boot, sweet!
      01-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

BMW tries to keep it a secret but there is actually less rear headroom in the new 2-series than in the 1-series. The difference is 16mm which is about 0.6inch.

compare (click on magnifying glass next to "technical data") :
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html

versus:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html

Another secret: despite being much larger 4-series coupe has even less rear headroom by a whooping 26mm which is about 1 full inch.

So in summary: BMW screwed up major with 2-series by making the car larger on the outside yet smaller on the inside where it matters. Yes I know it has more rear legroom but it was ok to begin with (based on my ownership of 1-series) especially with front seats in forward or intermediate positions.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

My opinion is if you need a 4 seater, and have growing kids, the 2er is not going to work well. Certainly the 1er doesn't, and the 2er is very similar in size.
      01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep

One more thing to keep in mind: if you specify electric seats (standard on M235i) it is easier to access the rear because when you press the "forward" button on front seats they automatically slide forward.

With manual front seats (at least in my 128i) there is a hidden handle you have to clumsily grab to do the same and the seat doesn't always return to the starting position.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Yes spot on wheelwright, I was playing with that on the 4 series at the dealers, seats look the same. You tap the button to move it all the way or hold it to slide manually then pull the lever to tilt the seat forward. I did notice on the 4 that if the headrest was up high and the seat is brought forward for access it bumps the top of the roofliner or visors.
      01-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
So in summary: BMW screwed up major with 2-series by making the car larger on the outside yet smaller on the inside where it matters.
I'm not sure that I'd classify 2/3rd of an inch of less rear headroom as a major screw-up, but this is a subjective thing and we all have our individual priorities. Obviously, there's something of a tradeoff between rear headroom and the shape of the roof, and BMW went with styling over comfort. It's their call. I'm of the view that if rear passenger comfort is one of your main priorities, you probably shouldn't be looking at subcompact coupes to begin with, but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep

That was the hidden beauty of 1-series: small on the outside (in fact smaller than many compacts like Mazda 3, Cruze etc yet surprisingly roomy on the inside due to boxy, oldschool greenhouse design. I just don't want BMW to mess with this successful formula because this is what made them stand out.
Appreciate 0