THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Variable Steering vs. Non-Variable

02-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Variable Steering vs. Non-Variable

Anyone out there notice a fairly significant difference between variable steering vs. non-variable steering? Every time I am in my M235i driving in parking lots or making slow maneuvers everything seems fairly normal. Then when I jump into my 128 without the variable steering and I keep getting caught off guard on how much more I need to turn the steering wheel. Every time I guess I expect it just just go into the parking spot then realized I am still pointed at the rear corner of another car.

Love the older steering feel for higher speed (highway) driving but love the variable steering for slower maneuvering.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I came at this a bit differently. I had overboosted hydraulic steering on my departed MB C-Class for six years. Although I knew the advent of EPS brought along some loss of feel/feedback, I didn't realize how much until I drove the 3 Series. Then, by comparison, the 2 seemed wonderful! I really enjoy how it tightens up as the wheel gets off-center, and I am no longer missing the feel I thought I would always want to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I came at this a bit differently. I had overboosted hydraulic steering on my departed MB C-Class for six years. Although I knew the advent of EPS brought along some loss of feel/feedback, I didn't realize how much until I drove the 3 Series. Then, by comparison, the 2 seemed wonderful! I really enjoy how it tightens up as the wheel gets off-center, and I am no longer missing the feel I thought I would always want to have.
This. People have gone around the world and back complaining about BMW EPS when it really is actually pretty good and eventually everyone will forget about it. I have learned in life to fairly quickly identify what I like and cut through the noise of people complaining mostly out of just not being used to things, or sometimes not even using them right. I sometimes feel like I kind of know how Steve Jobs felt with Apple. He would pretty often just have to say to people "You're wrong". EPS is DEFINITELY one of those things. It is different, yes of course, but it is by far a net positive.
      02-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Golf, well written & spot on!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
This. People have gone around the world and back complaining about BMW EPS when it really is actually pretty good and eventually everyone will forget about it. I have learned in life to fairly quickly identify what I like and cut through the noise of people complaining mostly out of just not being used to things, or sometimes not even using them right. I sometimes feel like I kind of know how Steve Jobs felt with Apple. He would pretty often just have to say to people "You're wrong". EPS is DEFINITELY one of those things. It is different, yes of course, but it is by far a net positive.
I totally agree. I've very much enjoyed the EPS. Works fantastically! It seems most people realize this when they hop back in their older hydraulic steering car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Maybe I'm the outlier here, but I don't notice any real difference with EPS. That's not to say it isn't there, just that it feels so natural that it doesn't stand out to me. I will say however that I was amazed how quickly I got used to the car and felt comfortable driving it. I don't mean seat position or anything like that. You all know that feeling of being a bit tentative in a new car because you're not used to it and it takes a little while before that feeling goes away. That "little while" was very brief with this car (literally a matter of a day or two) and I think EPS had something to do with it.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Monoblock
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Maybe I'm the outlier here, but I don't notice any real difference with EPS. That's not to say it isn't there, just that it feels so natural that it doesn't stand out to me.
I agree - doesn't feel all that much different to me either.

But a thought: I've read several posts in various forums that the EPS is (somehow) tunable, and there has been quite some variance from car to car. If true, what we could be hearing from people could all well be valid reports: some cars may feel livelier than others, some may feel deader.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Jumping back and forth between both my cars I usually only notice a difference (other than the heavier steering) when parking or cruising down the highway for a lengthy amount of time.

The variable steering IMO is amazing when parking but when I cruise down the highway the car seems to drift around in the lane much easier than the steering in my 128i.

On the other hand parking my 128i has now almost become a chore but feels much better on longer highway drives.

Maybe I need to take both cars down the exact some stretch of highway one right after the other because after all the road surface can play a big role.
Appreciate 0