THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Expected M2 TCO after 3-5 years (vs 228i)?

09-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
tubedreamer
Private
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2008 SSII 6MT E90

Expected M2 TCO after 3-5 years (vs 228i)?

This is probably the weirdest comparison to most people since people here tend to go for the best car they can afford, but I already have too many cars, and I'd be happy with a 228i (mostly commuting). I'm planning to do ED though, and a 2 door might not be the most practical car for me after 3-5 years for me, so I'm also considering the M2. If the TCO for M2 is not too much more than the 228i then the choice is pretty clear.

What concerns me is that 228i resale will very likely drop like a rock in 3-5 years. I think after 5 years of daily driving (10k miles/yr), resale will be around 40-50% of MSRP. I don't expect a 4 cylinder car at the budget end of BMW's lineup to have much resale appeal except to a small segment of enthusiasts (most of whom are on this forum =P). What do you guys think?

Based on past M3/M4 resale values, what do you expect the M2 resale value (% of MSRP) to be in 3-5 years (based on 10k mi/yr)?

It'll obviously depend on several factors including M2 MSRP, future LCI updates, whether M2 supply will be limited. Using the M3/M4 as a model, does it seem like BMW intends to limit the allocation of M cars going forward?

The state of the global economy should also have an impact and it looks like we're just about to head off a cliff here. How much does the economy affect the resale value of M cars vs cars in general?

I'd appreciate a discussion here.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0