THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Euro Delivery and the Tech Package - a couple things to watch out for

08-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Euro Delivery and the Tech Package - a couple things to watch out for

I'm having a ball on my Euro Delivery tour, but had a couple surprises with the Tech Pkg that I thought I would pass along. Rather than load the European maps into the system then re-load the US maps when the car gets to the states, they supply the maps on a thumbdrive in the USB port. This has a couple of ramifications. First, they strongly cautioned to NOT remove the thumbdrive, or it would cause the iDrive system to lock up. So no using the usb port for music! I was able to download a bunch of my albums from Google Music and write them to DVD, but it makes all the carefully selected playlists I made for my iPod useless.

Second, and a much bigger deal - there is no address data for a number of countries! The maps are there, but you can't enter an address! You can however enter GPS coordinates, and the Interactive Mode works if you have a map that shows where the address is. So far, this has been an issue for the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, and Slovenia. The system has worked as normal for Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Luckily I bought a European data package for my phone, so by using Interactive Mode to get me to the right city, then Google Maps on my phone to get the last few miles it has not been too much of a PITA. But had I known, I would have packed my Euro-map equipped TomTom from my last ED trip!

And of course, nothing that uses the car's data connection works in Europe. No traffic info, no connected apps, no BMW SOS, POI is very limited, and non-existent for the countries with no address data. None of this was a surprise though.

A little aggravating, but I am loving the car. Currently in Budapest. I brought my 67yo mother with me on this grand tour, and she has gone from being petrified the first time on the Autobahn to calling the car "the blue streak" and wanting to go faster every time we are on a highway!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

We did our ED in May with the tech package. We had no problems with addresses in Germany, France and Austria.

We did have the maps from the thumb drive freeze up a couple of times. We could reset the drive by powering down the car and then restarting.
Appreciate 0