THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Key Fob Battery - Problem solved

04-28-2024, 04:08 PM   #1
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Key Fob Battery - Problem solved

I was repeatedly having problems with the small battery in my key fob of my F22. It seemed that every few months I would get the "low battery" warning when I got in the car and would need to replace the battery.

I think I finally found the cause of this problem. Evidently, the key fob is very picky about the brand or manufacturer of the battery. I had two brand new CR2450 batteries - which both read about the same on a digital voltmeter. But one brand works perfectly, and the other had problems.

I attached a photo of the two batteries. The one on the left works fine, the one on the right has problems.

I had noticed a similar problem when replacing batteries in Apple AirTags. Apple noted that some batteries with bitterant coatings "might not work with AirTag." The coating is intended to make the battery taste bad so small children won't eat them. Perhaps a similar issue is happening in the key fobs and coated batteries.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:27 PM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

There are a ton of counterfeit batteries out there. I replaced the batteries in my fobs and there were dead 3 days later. Bought them from Amazon . I use copper top batteries that I buy locally. They see to work fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:21 AM   #3
thomasjohns
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

Replacing the key fob battery may seem small, but it's crucial for smooth operation. It's like giving your car a little energy boost, cheap cable and internet packages ensuring it's always ready to go when you are. Don't underestimate the power of a fresh battery - it's the key to unlocking convenience and peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 12:33 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
There are a ton of counterfeit batteries out there. I replaced the batteries in my fobs and there were dead 3 days later. Bought them from Amazon . I use copper top batteries that I buy locally. They see to work fine.
Yeah, I use Amazon a lot, but not for batteries. For important stuff that use coin cells (key fobs, garage remote, PC CMOS, firearms sights, etc) I pay the premium and buy Energizer or Duracell locally. Cheap ones are OK for the bathroom scales and such.
Appreciate 0