THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Current BMW LCI Strategy

01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
MPNGAO_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e500

Current BMW LCI Strategy

I know that this has been a topic that has been discussed, but my only hope is that BMW recognizes certain deficiencies and corrects them in the future.

Let me start off by saying that regardless of the current taillight design, I will most likely be purchasing an M4 this year. Above all else, driving involvement, pedigree, and over quality are really what is important to me and the M4 really does a good job of hitting these marks. That being said, I really must express how disappointed I am with BMW's LCI "strategy". I think its clear by now that over the last few years BMW has employed a refresh strategy that focuses on the lighting elements of the their vehicles. I can understand how this would be a great cost effective strategy to update vehicles throughout their life. Lighting elements when properly modified can really alter the look of the vehicle without altering "hard points" and when done "responsibly" I think it is a great strategy. Its cost effective and it injects life into the model after a few years.

However, after closely viewing the taillamp assemblies of our current generation 3/4 series models I can't help but feel that this strategy is beginning to really affect the overall perceived quality and value in my eyes. I stood next to an f30 435i parked right next to a brand new C400 and was just disappointed. On driving dynamics alone I would take the 435i but I still can't get passed those taillights. It almost seems as though even the plastic used for the assembly is made of cheaper inferior plastic.

BMW, give us at least the option of a higher end taillamp assembly with our lighting package and don't just leave that for the LCI.

Sorry for the rant guys but I was just so disappointed when I saw that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Get the car. You won't even think about the tail lights once you own one. Believe me, I bought my E92 M3 after the LCI and was delighted with the LED tail lights. I was disappointed when I learned that the F82 would have halogens... but I traded up anyway. No regrets at all. The tails looks fantastic regardless of the type of bulb used. This car is so much more than tail lights...
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
MPNGAO_M4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Get the car. You won't even think about the tail lights once you own one. Believe me, I bought my E92 M3 after the LCI and was delighted with the LED tail lights. I was disappointed when I learned that the F82 would have halogens... but I traded up anyway. No regrets at all. The tails looks fantastic regardless of the type of bulb used. This car is so much more than tail lights...
I completely agree with your sentiments and believe me I'm getting the car now as opposed to later regardless of the lights. My hope is that guys like scott26 and others on this board directly associated with BMW read threads like this and realize that when dealing with luxury items regardless how good it is the small details matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I thought I'd care but haven't given a second thought after picking up f80. Came from e92 lci.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
MPNGAO_M4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
I thought I'd care but haven't given a second thought after picking up f80. Came from e92 lci.
Im not saying its not a reason not to buy the car or wait for the LCI, its just disappointing that it seems like they "tried" to make it less appealing than the eventual LCI. It seems blatant.

They kind of look like they were designed in the early 1990's
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

I've had my F80 for 5 months now and if you held a gun to my head I still wouldn't be able to tell you what my tail lights even look like. Probably the absolute last thing I'm concerned with on the overall car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I too find it annoying and lame that BMW keeps resorting to LED taillight changes as a major feature for their LCI.

I know people say you can't see them, but I also notice how popular tailight swaps become once they are available.

Last edited by OneRib; 01-19-2015 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: stupid autocorrect change
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
SZKGRY
Rep
Drives: BMW 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib
I too find it annoying and lame that BMW keeps resorting to LED taillight changes as a major feature for their LCI.

I know people say you can't see them, but I also notice how popular twilight swaps become once they are available.
It just looks cheap. But hey, still happy to get it. Maybe for the next generation we'll get sealed beam headlights pre LCI. I wonder if anyone would notice.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib

I know people say you can't see them, but I also notice how popular twilight swaps become once they are available.
Yup. This is totally cheap on BMW's part.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
OMG with these taillights and LCI. Its fucking played. I doubt any of the LCI requests have anything else to do with other than "I can't have an old model" obsession.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
OMG with these taillights and LCI. Its fucking played. I doubt any of the LCI requests have anything else to do with other than "I can't have an old model" obsession.
Its more principle at this point. Plus I don't think it can be so easily dismissed unimportant. Aesthetics count, otherwise people wouldn't spend money on spacers, springs, and wheel upgrades (and yes some of it is for performance, but lets not fool ourselves, its mostly for looks). Not to mention amber reflector deletes, chrome grill changes, etc.

Like I said, watch the tail light swaps that start when LED's are available.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Its more principle at this point. Plus I don't think it can be so easily dismissed unimportant. Aesthetics count, otherwise people wouldn't spend money on spacers, springs, and wheel upgrades (and yes some of it is for performance, but lets not fool ourselves, its mostly for looks). Not to mention amber reflector deletes, chrome grill changes, etc.

Like I said, watch the tail light swaps that start when LED's are available.
Don't let my post mislead you that I don't appreciate technological advances because I do, but swapping tail lights wasn't intended for this discussion. You'd have to had have a pre-lci car to swap out anything. Im talking about all the "Im waiting out for the LCI" or "if you were smart like me, you would lease while the LCI is released" crowd. A tail light upgrade or any minor aesthetic change is so irrelevant. If you look at the F10 M5, the LCI came out pretty quick but that was to resolve serious complaints. This car is perfect.

You'd have to look a few years back to notice any significant and actually meaningful LCI upgrades, for example when the E36 M3 went from 3.0 to 3.2 or when the M Roadster went from S52 to S54.

Its just BMW trying to siphon your wallets gents.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
This
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
SZKGRY
Rep
Drives: BMW 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01
I think your missing the point. It has nothing to do with old/new, LCI/not LCI, it's old tech for the sake of differentiating later. I'm in the manufacturing industry and I'm willing to bet that the designs of the pre LCI and LCI are signed off at the same time. In this day and age it almost cheaper to go with LED's across the board (economies of scale) than have to design and manufacture with incandescent in mind. It's purely a strategic decision. It just sucks for the early adopters. You would hope that they would at least make it easier to convert in the future (minimal or no coding)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Don't let my post mislead you that I don't appreciate technological advances because I do, but swapping tail lights wasn't intended for this discussion. You'd have to had have a pre-lci car to swap out anything. Im talking about all the "Im waiting out for the LCI" or "if you were smart like me, you would lease while the LCI is released" crowd. A tail light upgrade or any minor aesthetic change is so irrelevant. If you look at the F10 M5, the LCI came out pretty quick but that was to resolve serious complaints. This car is perfect.

You'd have to look a few years back to notice any significant and actually meaningful LCI upgrades, for example when the E36 M3 went from 3.0 to 3.2 or when the M Roadster went from S52 to S54.

Its just BMW trying to siphon your wallets gents.

I get where you're coming from. It is a little silly to constantly wait for the next big thing because you will never get anything. No one with a 2015 made a bad choice by not waiting for LCI changes.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

Not really sure it would be an upgrade, but what about LCI from n54 to N55. From a reliability perspective I would think it is. Furthermore, although it isn't an excuse for BMW, you have to think also that while the LCI models are being sold, they are already developing the current series of vehicles. What that means is that perhaps they had already settled on a specific criteria, and made that decision seperately from decisions of the current model LCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Atleast its not like the E90's where an LCI conversion involved many new body panels. Hopefully the new LCI tails for F3X and F8X will bolt up without needing a new trunk, then we can all just buy them and be happy (kind of)

But yes, I would agree that these tails are deliberately halogen.
      01-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

It's a tired strategy that points to a culture of bean-counting.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukaGRY View Post
I completely agree with your sentiments and believe me I'm getting the car now as opposed to later regardless of the lights. My hope is that guys like scott26 and others on this board directly associated with BMW read threads like this and realize that when dealing with luxury items regardless how good it is the small details matter.
They won't care. They've done that for years now. I don't really stare at my taillights, ever, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Just admire the rest of the car. M4's are quite nice in person.

If it wasn't taillights, it'd be something else BMW does with the LCI. Every manufacturer does it to keep their current gens fresh until a new gen can be introduced. From new engines, more aggressive designs, slightly different interior, trust me people are always bitter for some irrational reason. It's like they want a manufacturer to stop changing a car only because they bought one.

Some of the jealousy you read around here is quite petty (not saying your argument is petty, it is weird how they seem to always reserve the lights for an LCI).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 06:26 AM   #20
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
But [OLED] will be available to specify on G models.
... for the LCI, only after the initial models launch with halogen tail lights, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #21
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

The M4 has taillights?

I have never understood the fascination with the taillight side... or should I say obsession... to me as long as they are attractive (and not ugly), who cares? It has NOTHING to do with the way the car drives or performs and I rarely ever see them when I'm sitting in the car Show versus Go...
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #22
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
It's a tired strategy that points to a culture of bean-counting.
It's always that.
Appreciate 0