THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Which Stage 1 to get for my 16 M235i xDrive CV

Closed Thread

08-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #23
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
As I said, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your cheap garbage tune and mods! As long as you're happy that's all that counts!
Really not understanding your argument here...you are saying a tried and true flash tune plus PS2 is garbage? Yet your Dinan tune is the gold standard?

Trying to argue with someone that has had both Dinan and many other tunes is interesting approach considering you've never done anything but Dinan...
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      08-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #24
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
M235iguy oh wait just realized you got the Dinan Sport tune? That doesn't carry any form of warranty, and has some sweet gains of 10whp...
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      08-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #25
chobit
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cab - Blue

After another day of research, I think I have a better understanding now.

As it looks like the majority of the stage 1 product is doing boost increase across all RPM, but the model like JB4 that connected to addition module is capable to control boost by RPM and other factor as well.

While I don't plan on adding anything else other than the Plug-in Mod. It seems to me that the JB4 might be a little safer. I am basing my experience on the used 06 STi that was Protuned with a Cobb AccessPort where Boost can't be added across the full RPM Range with in a fix amount.

So, if I am correct, I can keep everything stock and still use the JB4, right?

One other question, it used to be that when I modify the tune myself on the Subaru myself, I would also make adjustment to the timing, and make sure the Air Fuel Ratio doesn't go to lean. Does any of that still apply to this Plug-in Solution? Or the BMW ECU is capable enough to compensate?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit View Post
After another day of research, I think I have a better understanding now.

As it looks like the majority of the stage 1 product is doing boost increase across all RPM, but the model like JB4 that connected to addition module is capable to control boost by RPM and other factor as well.

While I don't plan on adding anything else other than the Plug-in Mod. It seems to me that the JB4 might be a little safer. I am basing my experience on the used 06 STi that was Protuned with a Cobb AccessPort where Boost can't be added across the full RPM Range with in a fix amount.

So, if I am correct, I can keep everything stock and still use the JB4, right?

One other question, it used to be that when I modify the tune myself on the Subaru myself, I would also make adjustment to the timing, and make sure the Air Fuel Ratio doesn't go to lean. Does any of that still apply to this Plug-in Solution? Or the BMW ECU is capable enough to compensate?
You can keep everything stock and use the JB4 no problem, you just won't see THAT much of a difference compared to the JB Stage 1. However, I think its your best bet considering you can run it stock no problem, but if you ever decide to do more to your car you will have the ability to adjust the tune. Not to mention the addition of logging capabilities, etc.

The ECU is capable enough to compensate, but you can always run logs off the JB4 and then adjust if anything is off.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch
M235iguy oh wait just realized you got the Dinan Sport tune? That doesn't carry any form of warranty, and has some sweet gains of 10whp...
a reputable tune vs a cheap jb4. Factory warranty vs nothing. Factory warranty on stage 1 plus. nothing for jb4. I chose the sport cause thats all I want at this time. you enjoy your cheap tune effing your car up.
      08-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #28
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy
Quote:
a reputable tune vs a cheap jb4. Factory warranty vs nothing. Factory warranty on stage 1 plus. nothing for jb4. I chose the sport cause thats all I want at this time. you enjoy your cheap tune effing your car up.
The dinan sport tune does NOT offer a warranty and will void your factory warranty just like any other tune. That being said $300 for a claimed 10hp gain is a complete rip off. I've tried several tunes including the dinantronics and dinan was by far the worst tune. Power gains were half of what they advertised and in my case was causing my car to throw codes. Flash is the way to go but a properly set up JB4 is nothing to sneeze at.

Flash > JB4 > other piggybacks > Dinan

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      08-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #29
chobit
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
You can keep everything stock and use the JB4 no problem, you just won't see THAT much of a difference compared to the JB Stage 1. However, I think its your best bet considering you can run it stock no problem, but if you ever decide to do more to your car you will have the ability to adjust the tune. Not to mention the addition of logging capabilities, etc.

The ECU is capable enough to compensate, but you can always run logs off the JB4 and then adjust if anything is off.
Cool, so the JB4 can essentially provide me some level of ability to Street Tune like the way I used to do =D

I plan to stay conservative. My previously owned 06 STi used to make 267HP / 277TQ on a mustang Dyno. It was a conservative/safe tune, and I love it. I don't need a monster, just want to unlock some power on the N55, one of the reason I go with a M235i over a M240i.

Thank you guys =D
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      08-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, cheap $1300 ECU tune which is exponentially more powerful and safer than your "super high quality" BMS Stage 1 clone.

Reputable - the Dinan sport just came out, sorry but you can't build a reputation on a product that got released a few weeks ago. You can build it on other products, which have been proven to fail and not get honored...

Factory warranty - you argue the Stage 1 plus, but you unfortunately couldn't afford that so you are stuck with no warranty as well.

Also just remembered you're the kid that has the sweet vanity plates, definitely going to trust your judgement when it comes to this stuff...
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      08-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #31
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit View Post
Cool, so the JB4 can essentially provide me some level of ability to Street Tune like the way I used to do =D

I plan to stay conservative. My previously owned 06 STi used to make 267HP / 277TQ on a mustang Dyno. It was a conservative/safe tune, and I love it. I don't need a monster, just want to unlock some power on the N55, one of the reason I go with a M235i over a M240i.

Thank you guys =D
Yeah that's the most reasonable path unless you want to pony up a bit more for an ECU flash, which I would highly recommend! I just did mine recently and it is night and day over a piggyback...just food for thought. PM me if you want more details.

If no ECU flash, JB4 is definitely your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #32
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Back to the original poster and topic. If you aren't going to add any other mods or use E85 mixes, don't waste your time and extra $$ with the JB4. It does not adjust boost by RPM unless you are running custom map. For a stock car it is recommended by BMS themselves that your run map 1 which is identical to stage 1 BMS in terms of power and also that added power is the same on map 1 across the RPM range; about 4 psi of extra boost constant. 2 plugs solution = JB stage 1 or Dinan Sport. Dinan Sport does not give you any car warranty for issues, don't be fooled by what you may have read regarding car warranty and Dinan, as this only relates to their $2k plus tunes, not the $300 option we are talking about here.

If you want a simple plug in tune that comes with a stock RPM based setup then AA8 or RaceChip Ultimate with Bluetooth connection are your easiest pre-set options.

JB4 is designed for cars with supporting mods which it sounds like you won't be doing any.
      08-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #33
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You're clearly delusional and stuck on Dinan, when the sport tune is the EXACT SAME THING as BMS stage 1. Screwing up the car how? Do you even understand what your Dinan sport or the BMS or jb4 or any flash tune does/consists of?

Dinans reputation? Are you kidding me? You're like this 14th person on this forum thats right 14th because their sales on here's shit, (they're lucky to sell 2 dozen dinatronics) that is arguing the same point based off of warranty retention because backed into a corner you have no valid point or intellectual tuning experience vs EVERYONE else and every single time you (Dinan) guys say well I have a warranty and you don't. No you're dead wrong in modded to the teeth and I still have my warranty. Dinan left by the way. You're so stuck on e36 and 1996 get a clue.

Dinan refuses warranty claims and you're to thick to even ask why or who did that happen to because you're so stuck on justifying your purchase. Fine your money whatever spend it how you see fit. but you clearly have no idea all your comments show it.

But yeah we all on here have zero clue and our mods are cheap shit.
      08-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #34
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, cheap $1300 ECU tune which is exponentially more powerful and safer than your "super high quality" BMS Stage 1 clone.

Reputable - the Dinan sport just came out, sorry but you can't build a reputation on a product that got released a few weeks ago. You can build it on other products, which have been proven to fail and not get honored...

Factory warranty - you argue the Stage 1 plus, but you unfortunately couldn't afford that so you are stuck with no warranty as well.

Also just remembered you're the kid that has the sweet vanity plates, definitely going to trust your judgement when it comes to this stuff...
Dinan is a far more reputable tune than any tune out there. You have your idiotic opinion and my opinion is backed up with a factory warranty on stage 1+

Factory warranty, Dinan offers it yours doesn't.

Funny how someone going the cheap route states someone cant afford something lol. I live very comfortable with no mortgage. try another angle, but the cant afford something while yourself being cheap isn't working very well.

As long as you're happy with your cheap tune, I'm happy for ya!
      08-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #35
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
You're clearly delusional and stuck on Dinan, when the sport tune is the EXACT SAME THING as BMS stage 1. Screwing up the car how? Do you even understand what your Dinan sport or the BMS or jb4 or any flash tune does/consists of?

Dinans reputation? Are you kidding me? You're like this 14th person on this forum thats right 14th because their sales on here's shit, (they're lucky to sell 2 dozen dinatronics) that is arguing the same point based off of warranty retention because backed into a corner you have no valid point or intellectual tuning experience vs EVERYONE else and every single time you (Dinan) guys say well I have a warranty and you don't. No you're dead wrong in modded to the teeth and I still have my warranty. Dinan left by the way. You're so stuck on e36 and 1996 get a clue.

Dinan refuses warranty claims and you're to thick to even ask why or who did that happen to because you're so stuck on justifying your purchase. Fine your money whatever spend it how you see fit. but you clearly have no idea all your comments show it.

try searching for jb4 problems and let me know how that's working for people
      08-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Dinan is a far more reputable tune than any tune out there. Yu have your idiotic opinion and my opinion is backed up with a factory warranty on stage 1+

Factory warranty, Dinan offers it yours doesn't.

Funny how someone going the cheap route states someone cant afford something lol. I live very comfortable with no mortgage. try another angle, but the cant afford something while yourself being cheap isn't working very well.

As long as you're happy with your cheap tune, I'm happy for ya!
Ya let us know how they warranty your charge pipe when it blows.

But yeah none of us know anything and use junk. You bought junk that's copied. Dinan talked so much shit about piggy backs on the E platform and said repeatedly how JN4 is shit and they'd never put a piggy back on their cars and yet since they're clueless and can't tune cars for shit here we find ourselves on the F platform with Dinan using a piggy back and their answer is "well we feel right now this is the best solution moving forward."

Yeah who's the biggest hypocrite in that case you or Dinan. Or do you even know anything about this "well reputable" company you're so valiantly supporting.
      08-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #37
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

try searching for jb4 problems and let me know how that's working for people
Try searching for Dinan drivetrain malfunctions and it'll be the same story...

And search Dinan won't cover or vouch for warranty and you'll be so glad you chose them..
      08-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #38
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Back to the original poster and topic. If you aren't going to add any other mods or use E85 mixes, don't waste your time and extra $$ with the JB4. It does not adjust boost by RPM unless you are running custom map. For a stock car it is recommended by BMS themselves that your run map 1 which is identical to stage 1 BMS in terms of power and also that added power is the same on map 1 across the RPM range; about 4 psi of extra boost constant. 2 plugs solution = JB stage 1 or Dinan Sport. Dinan Sport does not give you any car warranty for issues, don't be fooled by what you may have read regarding car warranty and Dinan, as this only relates to their $2k plus tunes, not the $300 option we are talking about here.

If you want a simple plug in tune that comes with a stock RPM based setup then AA8 or RaceChip Ultimate with Bluetooth connection are your easiest pre-set options.

JB4 is designed for cars with supporting mods which it sounds like you won't be doing any.
Yeah I was thinking more so the extra $200 for the JB4 is worth it in the event he eventually wants to mod more (which can happen very fast as I found out). If spending the $600+ on AA8 or RaceChip I would still go for the JB4 just based on all the support, etc.

Also, not gonna entertain the little Dinan guy anymore, hopefully he goes away. OP should have what he needs at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #39
chobit
Rep

Wink

Ok, I'll start reading more on AA8 and RaceChip Ultimate with Bluetooth connection then =D

Thank you, I really appreciated all your feedbacks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #40
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And search Dinan won't cover or vouch for warranty and you'll be so glad you chose them..
I'll stick with a company backing a factory like warranty and IF you're not putting in all sorts of cheap mods of downpipes ect, then they will cover it. jb4 will tell you to go blank yourself.
      08-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #41
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'll stick with a company backing a factory like warranty and IF you're not putting in all sorts of cheap mods of downpipes ect, then they will cover it. jb4 will tell you to go blank yourself.
No they won't but keep thinking that.

Let us know how it works out on your sport tune that's not covered and your charge pipe failure because they blow under factory boost. Well eagerly await for you with friendliness and open arms just like the other ex Dinanites
      08-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #42
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Let us know how it works out on your sport tune that's not covered and your charge pipe failure because they blow under factory boost. Well eagerly await for you with friendliness and open arms just like the other ex Dinanites
LOL!! you're joking right?? jb4 or anyone of the numerous cheap junk mods people buy for their car here are far more likely to run into a failure. I'm 100% confident in Dinan products. That's why I wouldn't put jb4 on my car for free from the worry of some cheaply made product that has problem after problem. You don't like Dinan, I don't give a rats behind. Enjoy your cheap jb4 crap product and have a nice day.
      08-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #43
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Are you dense? The Dinan device on your car is only warrantied for the device and not one ounce of damage that it may cause to your motor. Dinan products have caused issues and had tuning issues just like any other piggyback device out there. You really should move along and go back to your 3rd grade class. Recess is over.
Appreciate 2
crbalch472.50
Jadar1752.50
      08-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #44
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

LOL!! you're joking right?? jb4 or anyone of the numerous cheap junk mods people buy for their car here are far more likely to run into a failure. I'm 100% confident in Dinan products. That's why I wouldn't put jb4 on my car for free from the worry of some cheaply made product that has problem after problem. You don't like Dinan, I don't give a rats behind. Enjoy your cheap jb4 crap product and have a nice day.
Delusional as all the others defending them til the very end.

Have a great day sir enjoy your car M235 is a wonderful machine.
Closed Thread