THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What do you want from an exhaust?

08-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Chris_B
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2016 M235i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
What do you want from an exhaust?

Hey everyone. I'm searching around for an exhaust system for my baby.

I'm looking for feedback from owners, and Pros/Cons if you would be so kind.

So far I've seen these exhausts available for our cars:

Armytrix.

AWE.

Fabspeed.

GT Haus.

M Performance.

Remus.

If you guys could be so kind so respond with any input, or missing exhaust systems you recommend and why?

Input is greatly appreciated!
Instagram @project_kristi
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Chris, good question. Personally, I'm coming from a Cayman S with a Tubi exhaust. The sound was absolutely amazing! When I got my 235 I was rather disappointed with the stock exhaust. I ended up buying a MPE and installed it. I think it sounds very good but I would like it to be a little louder. I most likely will go with a downpipe in the future, plus I'm sure the packing in this exhaust will wear a bit and this one may "open up" a bit more. You listed some very nice choices that all sound pretty good I'm sure as I've heard clips of most of them. I think it all boils down to how much money you want to spend.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Hey everyone. I'm searching around for an exhaust system for my baby.

I'm looking for feedback from owners, and Pros/Cons if you would be so kind.

So far I've seen these exhausts available for our cars:

Armytrix.

AWE.

Fabspeed.

GT Haus.

M Performance.

Remus.

If you guys could be so kind so respond with any input, or missing exhaust systems you recommend and why?

Input is greatly appreciated!

We offer all the exhausts on that list except Armytrix

REMUS is my favorite for a daily driver, it has an aggressive and deep note without being obnoxious

Fabspeed Muffler delete and GThaus Super GT is the go to exhaust if you are looking for a super aggressive system

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I have a fabspeed valvetronic on my car. i love it. Nice and deep. Not too loud and no drone.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Fabspeed Sportcat and M Performance Exhaust here...sounds beastly

Not to mention the power upgrade from the DP, and guaranteed no CEL
Appreciate 4
      08-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

ER catless DP and Armytrix catback exhaust here. I leave the valve open fulltime and exhaust is very aggressive in sport/sport+... popping and cracking all but gone in eco/normal.. which i never drive in cant think of many negatives other than cold start with valve open is LOUD. Valve closed not bad. Fitment was good. I think Armytrix is unique to some other exhausts due to dual runs from collector to muffler. Another not in your list that i think sounds great is AC Schnitzer. Check it out as well.. i can post up more vids if you would like just let me know.
Appreciate 1
Chris_B109.50
      08-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Shifteck catless dp + AWE axel back here. Super aggressive and can make some of the loudest pops I've heard on a car. Not for the faint of heart
      08-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphjr View Post
Shifteck catless dp + AWE axel back here. Super aggressive and can make some of the loudest pops I've heard on a car. Not for the faint of heart
Yeah dude, those catless DPs are just too much for me. The overrun is way more than I would like to have.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post

hnnnnggggg my fabspeed sportcat is sitting in my garage waiting to get installed. also have the MPE. cannot. wait.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It is much appreciated.

I am running our Sport Cat Downpipe and Muffler Bypass Exhaust on my personal M235i and needless to say I absolutely love it. It provides the perfect match between power and sound. I daily drive mine to work everyday. In Comfort Mode, there is definitely an increase in sound but is in no way overbearing. When switching to Sport/Sport+ Mode, that is when the fun starts. The snap, crackles and pops sound incredible and brings a new type of presence to the road.

I would love to discuss more, so check your PM's and I can get you setup with a system !
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post

I have the exact same setup. Car sounds great.
      08-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude
Chris, good question. Personally, I'm coming from a Cayman S with a Tubi exhaust. The sound was absolutely amazing! When I got my 235 I was rather disappointed with the stock exhaust. I ended up buying a MPE and installed it. I think it sounds very good but I would like it to be a little louder. I most likely will go with a downpipe in the future, plus I'm sure the packing in this exhaust will wear a bit and this one may "open up" a bit more. You listed some very nice choices that all sound pretty good I'm sure as I've heard clips of most of them. I think it all boils down to how much money you want to spend.
Dinan just came out with the resonator delete for $279. Sounds really good with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Can't elaborate on most as I've only had MPE. But it's rather disappointing for the $ spent unless you pair it with a DP.

In fact I sold mine and went a different route.

But what's more to say all the brands you posted are phenomenal. If I had to choose between 2 I'd say Fabspeed or Armytix slightly leaning in favor of Fabspeed but it's hella expensive. But worth it. They do some amazing In house work down south.
      08-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Can't elaborate on most as I've only had MPE. But it's rather disappointing for the $ spent unless you pair it with a DP.

I kind of agree with you on what you said.

Lots of the exhausts mentioned sound great on stock DP, but you wont truly know what you are missing out on until you pair them with high flow catted or catless downpipes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Chris_B
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2016 M235i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey guys, sorry I've been a little busy. I really appreciate everyone's info.

So here are some concerns of mine.

I'm planning catless dp, which of course is going to throw a code (Right???), but I'm not sure whether to run catback first or just pull the trigger on a full system.

I THINK valvetronic (Fabspeed/MPE/Armytrix?) is the way I'm leaning, I like the idea of my exhaust adjusting with driving modes, but if I'm going to code anyway, realistically it doesn't matter whether the exhaust is valvetronic or not correct?

I REALLY enjoy the Armytrix feature (Mobile App).

If there was something you would change about your current exhaust setups, what would it be?
Instagram @project_kristi
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I have the Fabspeed sport cat and muffler delete. Excellent tones and volume presence. This is my first "loud" car and I was pleasantly surprised at how manageable the volume is.

In the cabin it's not the least bit overwhelming, but you can definitely hear it when accelerating. Personally, I don't miss the valvetronic feature at all, the volume is fine 100% of the time, though I was concerned about this prior to the install.

If you run catless you will also need to consider an ECU retune because the difference in expected back pressure will be significant. I even feel it in the 200 cell cat, so to go catless, the difference will be more startling.

The only thing I would change about the current setup is exactly the above...need a retune done. It feels like the car lost a bit of low end power, but at the same time it makes the throttle map more interesting... decisions decisions.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Hey guys, sorry I've been a little busy. I really appreciate everyone's info.

So here are some concerns of mine.

I'm planning catless dp, which of course is going to throw a code (Right???), but I'm not sure whether to run catback first or just pull the trigger on a full system.

I THINK valvetronic (Fabspeed/MPE/Armytrix?) is the way I'm leaning, I like the idea of my exhaust adjusting with driving modes, but if I'm going to code anyway, realistically it doesn't matter whether the exhaust is valvetronic or not correct?

I REALLY enjoy the Armytrix feature (Mobile App).

If there was something you would change about your current exhaust setups, what would it be?
It really depends what you want to tackle first. If you are looking for more power right off the bat then I would do the downpipe. This is where a majority of the power and sound are. I always will recommend going with our Sport Cat Downpipe. No tuning necessary and no CEL. If you go catbypass, you will have to tune for that. There are a handful of issues with running catless without a tune so be ready to add that to the cost when going catbypass.

I have our Sport Cat Downpipe with our Muffler Bypass Exhaust and I wouldn't change a thing. I absolutely love it. It is the perfect setup in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
I have the Fabspeed sport cat and muffler delete. Excellent tones and volume presence. This is my first "loud" car and I was pleasantly surprised at how manageable the volume is.

In the cabin it's not the least bit overwhelming, but you can definitely hear it when accelerating. Personally, I don't miss the valvetronic feature at all, the volume is fine 100% of the time, though I was concerned about this prior to the install.

If you run catless you will also need to consider an ECU retune because the difference in expected back pressure will be significant. I even feel it in the 200 cell cat, so to go catless, the difference will be more startling.

The only thing I would change about the current setup is exactly the above...need a retune done. It feels like the car lost a bit of low end power, but at the same time it makes the throttle map more interesting... decisions decisions.
Thanks for the write up! Glad to see you're still enjoying your setup .
Appreciate 1
Xiaoxi269.00
      09-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #18
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm still in love with my Fabspeed valvetronic. The tone is perfect. I actually would like a little more volume, but I'm sure that will be solved when I get the sport cat.

I don't have the actuator installed on the exhaust, so my valve is open 100% of the time. It hasn't been an issue. Even cold starts aren't bad once you get like 20' away from it. It's definitely louder, but I'm not worried about waking the neighbors. The neighbors definitely hear me coming down the street though. I get a lot of looks. Good or bad? Idk and idc lol.

The exhaust has messed with my podcast listening habits though. Around town I'd rather cruise with the windows down and radio off just to listen to the exhaust and intake combo I have on my car. It's that good. Seriously, not a day goes by without me thanking myself for pulling the trigger on getting the exhaust. It wiped out my mods budget, but it's well worth it.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #19
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
I have the fabspeed muffler bypass and I love it! I just picked up a catless VRSF DP bc I want more power. Kinda worried it might be too loud but I guess we will see. Picked up everything else I was missing to go FBO from mike @ extreme power house. I'll definitely be posting something once I get it all installed. I figure if this combo is too loud I can always sell the DP and go with fabspeeds catted.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #20
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

I had the fabspeed sportcat paired up with my MPE last week. It's great. The best part is that the throttle is so much more responsive now. The car should have absolutely come from the factory with this pedal feel and responsiveness.

The sound is great with the windows down and from the outside, but I wish it was louder with the windows up. The problem though is that these cars have so much sound deadening that by the time I got the exhaust to sound good to me on the inside (all that really matters) it would just be plain obnoxious to everyone outside (imo).

I did the exhaust valve mod so that it stays open 100% of the time. No point at all for the exhaust flap to exist if you are modding the car for a louder throatier exhaust.

The DP changed the car completely for the better. Absolute pleasure to drive. #1 mod besides a tune. Go turbo-back from the get go.
Appreciate 1