THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m235i: rough costs of head gasket, cylinder head, and engine replacement?

08-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #23
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
-Believe it or not......
But we have done some fair amount of Cylinder Head gaskets on the N55 Engines here at the shop over the past year or so.

98% of the failures are just the gaskets.
It is not an cheap fix.
curious about how much...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Sorry about your car.. I believe that it is quite possible a defect in the engine built and not the flash is the reason for your blown motor but good luck trying to convinced BMW NA of that, as they will always try to weasel their way out of paying for the repair, especially now that they have an out (tampered ECU)..

A lot of people will tell you fight it, mention "Magnuson Moss," pray to Satan, ect.. But speaking from personal experience, it's easier said than done.. I remember when my completely stock Acura RSX Type S tranny, with a known second gear issue, blew, I figure it was a slam dunk that Acura would pay for a new gearbox.. Imagine how shocked I was when the Acura rep denied my claim without a valid reason.. When I kicked up dust and demanded an answer, the rep was like "Why you have performance rotors on your car; you must of driven the car hard and blew the transmission."
The rotors were "A-Spec" branded made and stamped by Acura, sort of what "M Performance" is to BMW. But he didn't care or even knew what was an "A-Spec" SMH..

To make a long story longer, you did the right thing by moving on and outsourcing the parts/motor, plus you save yourself from more frustration. I would also like to mention that I knew someone who blew their E90 M3 motor, they made a comprehensive claim on their auto insurance and actually got paid for an entire rebuilt from the dealer.. I was utterly surprised myself until I saw the invoice and his car running again.. Might want to try to contact your insurance company and inquire about any possible coverage.
Best of luck!
Appreciate 2
Joe2402923.50
rich8566608.50
      08-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #25
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
So you left the ecu flash on the car or took it off and they still detected it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
-Believe it or not......
But we have done some fair amount of Cylinder Head gaskets on the N55 Engines here at the shop over the past year or so.

98% of the failures are just the gaskets.
It is not an cheap fix.
curious about how much...
I don't know to be honest. me as a tech rarely see the bill. especially if it is warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Turns out there is a hairline crack between two of the cylinder heads on the engine block and I'm told the entire engine needs to be replaced. Question now is to replace engine or...what are the other options? Its a lease. 15,000 miles. I don't see a great solution. Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by DfVgyCjmFQnu; 08-11-2016 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #28
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Any ideas why it cracked? That's gotta be a production defect no?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #29
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Any ideas why it cracked? That's gotta be a production defect no?
I would hope so, but since there was a tune, BMW is blaming this problem on the tune itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #30
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
This could be me and my naivety but wouldn't they know you'd need a pretty large amount of boost or knocking to actually blow a crack in a non defective case? Seems like you could argue it maybe
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #31
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not to get off topic on this important thread but this site has some good info about block cracks

http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Procedure
http://www.locknstitch.com/pdf/alumi...repair_new.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #32
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Sorry to hear it. Did you reflash the ECU to stock before bringing it in?
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #33
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou View Post
I would hope so, but since there was a tune, BMW is blaming this problem on the tune itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
So you left the ecu flash on the car or took it off and they still detected it?
Please let us know. Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #34
mitrong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

if he had an ecu flash/tune, im assuming that he went into the dealer without reflashing back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #35
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes there may have been a flash tune on the car when I brought it into the dealer. Yes I understand if somebody has a flash tune it should be refreshed back to stock prior to doing so. The cost and time involved with flashing back to stock is significant, and of course I did not expect an entire engine replacement would be needed. It was a wrong decision on my end. Still, I do not believe this issue is due to the tune, but rather a manufacturing defect given the engine has 15,000 miles on it and has not been raced. An engine block crack between cylinder heads seems to be more likely to a manufacturing defect rather than results of a reasonable tune.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #36
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou
Yes there may have been a flash tune on the car when I brought it into the dealer. Yes I understand if somebody has a flash tune it should be refreshed back to stock prior to doing so. The cost and time involved with flashing back to stock is significant, and of course I did not expect an entire engine replacement would be needed. It was a wrong decision on my end. Still, I do not believe this issue is due to the tune, but rather a manufacturing defect given the engine has 15,000 miles on it and has not been raced. An engine block crack between cylinder heads seems to be more likely to a manufacturing defect rather than results of a reasonable tune.
I agree it definitely sounds like a manufacturing defect. For future reference most tuners will flash you back to stock free of charge.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #37
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I agree it definitely sounds like a ma ifs turning defect. For future reference most tuners will flash you back to stock free of charge.
Yeah, Luminous you are putting out what, at least 100hp more than I am, and so are many others who tune the N55 engine. Reports of a cracked block are very rare. It seems to me that it should be more frequent in the tuning community if this is indeed a tuning related issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #38
Luminous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou
Quote:
I agree it definitely sounds like a ma ifs turning defect. For future reference most tuners will flash you back to stock free of charge.
Yeah, Luminous you are putting out what, at least 100hp more than I am, and so are many others who tune the N55 engine. Reports of a cracked block are very rare. It seems to me that it should be more frequent in the tuning community if this is indeed a tuning related issue.
It's definitely not caused by the tune although running higher boost could have easily stressed a pre existing defect. Of course BMW will jump at the chance to deflect blame. Again I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you, I hope things work out as best they can.

Edit: have you looked around for a used N55?

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #39
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Don't think it would matter if you flashed back to stock settings. The ECU was opened up and the sticker seal broken so it will be an obvious sign of tampering even if flashed back.

Plus direct from Enzo Tuning website

"By applying our tamper proof label on each ECU calibration, you have the peace of mind that ensures the highest quality of performance available" Not sure if poster had Enzo tune, or if all flash tuners put some sort of sticker/seal on after they tune and open the ECU.

This sounds like they put a sticker on your ECU that can't be taken off without destroying the label, so pretty sure if BMW saw this label after taking engine apart they wouldn't cover anything.

I'd love a flash tune as it definitely appears to be the way to go for power/drivability, but stories like this guy will make me stick to piggyback until warranty is up. Maybe that's a false sense of security on my end as some say hidden tuner codes pop up with piggies, but haven't really heard of warranty claims denied if piggy is taken off and any codes cleared. Audi seems to be really aggressive with flagging cars with tunes, BMW a little less so unless things are obvious, at least for now.
      08-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #40
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
It's definitely not caused by the tune although running higher boost could have easily stressed a pre existing defect. Of course BMW will jump at the chance to deflect blame. Again I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you, I hope things work out as best they can.

Edit: have you looked around for a used N55?
I'm not super technical with engine design, but couldn't a bad tune cause this?

Bad tune = high temps = warps head = head gasket leak = leaked coolant on head causes temp fluctuations on isolated location of head = cracked head?

Last edited by Anthony235; 08-12-2016 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #41
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Don't think it would matter if you flashed back to stock settings. The ECU was opened up and the sticker seal broken so it will be an obvious sign of tampering even if flashed back.

"By applying our tamper proof label on each ECU calibration, you have the peace of mind that ensures the highest quality of performance available" Not sure if poster had Enzo tune, or if all flash tuners put some sort of sticker/seal on after they tune and open the ECU.

This sounds like they put a sticker on your ECU that can't be taken off without destroying the label, so pretty sure if BMW saw this label after taking engine apart they wouldn't cover anything.

I'd love a flash tune as it definitely appears to be the way to go for power/drivability, but stories like this guy will make me stick to piggyback until warranty is up. Maybe that's a false sense of security on my end as some say hidden tuner codes pop up with piggies, but haven't really heard of warranty claims denied if piggy is taken off and any codes cleared. Audi seems to be really aggressive with flagging cars with tunes, BMW a little less so unless things are obvious, at least for now.
I don't think OEM uses a tamper proof sticker.

If I took mine to a tuner I would not want them putting one on either.

Yes, from what I've read about Audi they are the worst. Anytime your car is at the dealer for service the first thing they do is hook it up to some sort of scan tool to check for ECU tampering. It's flagged automatically by the Audi system with no manual input from the tech. Even if you go in for basic scheduled service they do this.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #42
Luminous
Captain
Rep

It might be theoretically possible but highly unlikely considering how many N55 tunes they've sold without any reported issues. I myself have had the tune for over 30k miles, the car is now putting down about 550whp and runs great. To be fair I change oil every 5k at the latest, I use high quality engine oil, high octane fuel and am constantly monitoring afr, timing, IATs, oil temps and boost.

Concerning the sticker or seal, I requested they not put a sticker for this exact reason and it wasn't a problem.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #43
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post

After opening the ECU, the smarter thing to do would be to not use a label or anything else to close it shut. That leaves a very very clear indication that it was opened and someone tried to fix it. Whereas if you leave it open, you have grounds to say that other party were the first to open it, not you.
      08-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #44
mitrong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou View Post
im sorry for your bad luck. =( at least you serve as a reminder to everyone on these forums that if you modify your car, you have to be prepared for the worst.
Appreciate 0