THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m235i: rough costs of head gasket, cylinder head, and engine replacement?

08-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #67
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Let us know what they say about the seal. I'm sure you can get some sort of new gasket seal its just a matter of making it look original.
They said you can replace the seal in my previous post and it's very easy to do. Pretty sure it's a silicon seal. I've seen the OEM silicone for sale on some websites, but I can't seem to find it now.
This would be theeee way to go for most. I'd need to stock up since I've been in my dme about a dozen times is need a few.
      09-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #68
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
im sorry for your bad luck. =( at least you serve as a reminder to everyone on these forums that if you modify your car, you have to be prepared for the worst.
This is very correct and hopefully somebody can learn from my errors (bringing car to dealer with flash tune installed. Should have refreshed to baseline first.) I think the Enzo tune and support is 1st rate. I believe I had a lemon engine block, should not have cracked at 15k miles.

Last edited by DfVgyCjmFQnu; 09-02-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #69
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

This is a good reason to go with a JB4. Pull it off and it won't be detected. I would trade the car in on something else. You will lose money also but not as much as replacing the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #70
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
You mean Enzo lol no they don't seal shit. They seal the shipping box for you tho with some tape
Damn, don't say that. :'( Enzo is who I plan on going with.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #71
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
You mean Enzo lol no they don't seal shit. They seal the shipping box for you tho with some tape
Damn, don't say that. :'( Enzo is who I plan on going with.
I was Enzo tuned. Key word was...
      09-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #72
dglende
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou View Post
I would hope so, but since there was a tune, BMW is blaming this problem on the tune itself.
Seems to me that this whole situation is a good enough reason to pay the extra cost for the Dinan solution. One way or the other this would be paid for, either by Dinan or BMW.

By the way, it seems to me that it is a very bad idea to do these types of mods with a lease car...

Last edited by dglende; 09-02-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      09-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #73
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglende
Quote:
Originally Posted by qafwfk7pNkou View Post
I would hope so, but since there was a tune, BMW is blaming this problem on the tune itself.
Seems to me that this whole situation is a good enough reason to pay the extra cost for the Dinan solution. One way or the other this would be paid for, either by Dinan or BMW.

By the way, it seems to me that it is a very bad idea to do these types of mods with a lease car...
That's what I'm getting at! Mod to a lease = bad idea especially a flash. Just go piggy back and you can stealth take it off.
      09-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #74
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

If you get super lucky maybe the dealer forgot to input your case in the system. Flash to stock and go to the furthest bmw dealer you are able to go to and play dumb
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #75
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

r.e. the comments that this just HAS to be a manufacturing defect to crack the block - if he is losing a liter of fluid a month, he might get enough into the cylinder at one time to hydro-lock it, causing the crack (and probably a bent rod, or at least damaged bearings). I'd be looking for a complete takeout engine, assuming this one is largely toast.

And one of those threads that really conflicts me - on one hand I feel for the OP, but all the suggestions about how to pass this off to another buyer, or hide the mods from the dealer do seem to be outright fraud - bad karma and a discredit to the more honorable tuners out there. This isn't a case of a dealer trying to weasel out of legit coverage - it was quite clear that these mods would void warranty (regardless of whether it actually caused the fail). I fear that every one of these cases makes the dealerships that much more likely to be defensive and litigious with all of us, less likely to goodwill anything. As many have noted, once you mod like this, you are taking on the risk to the engine and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #76
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

this thread is filled with bad, incorrect information.

A piggy can be detected just as a flash tune can be.
They look at the boost levels, speed limits, A/F ratios, etc...

If you have a serious issue which needs BMW NA to become involved, they will read all the hidden codes and you will get busted.

Benefits of a piggy vs flash:
-Piggyback doesnt pull the DME tamper code
- downside is you cannot increase speed limiter
- Dinan is supposed to take care of support costs if they are the cause. Reality is, dinan is so conservative you shouldn't get an issue, but it might happen if you run a DP or other mods. Even than, Dinan can say your other mods caused the issue.

Those complaining about enzo, it's no different than any other flash tuner.

They have to crack open the DME to get to the board. If this is something you are complaining about, you should of known what you were getting into before getting a flash tune. They all do the same thing. I have had 3 different ones and a few piggys and ENZO is the most reliable and produced the most HP on my car.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 3
WolfGTI716.00
Shayan55338.50
amw896582.50
      09-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #77
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
This is a good reason to go with a JB4. Pull it off and it won't be detected.
false
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #78
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
this thread is filled with bad, incorrect information.

A piggy can be detected just as a flash tune can be.
They look at the boost levels, speed limits, A/F ratios, etc...

If you have a serious issue which needs BMW NA to become involved, they will read all the hidden codes and you will get busted.

Benefits of a piggy vs flash:
-Piggyback doesnt pull the DME tamper code
- downside is you cannot increase speed limiter
- Dinan is supposed to take care of support costs if they are the cause. Reality is, dinan is so conservative you shouldn't get an issue, but it might happen if you run a DP or other mods. Even than, Dinan can say your other mods caused the issue.

Those complaining about enzo, it's no different than any other flash tuner.

They have to crack open the DME to get to the board. If this is something you are complaining about, you should of known what you were getting into before getting a flash tune. They all do the same thing. I have had 3 different ones and a few piggys and ENZO is the most reliable and produced the most HP on my car.
I would have to agree with bryan.

Any tune can be detected as out dme's show bmw NA the afr and other values.
I also have Enzo's tune and i couldnt be happier with it as far as drivability, power and the features. If you didnt want your tune to he detected. Should either stayed stock or hit up dinan and suffer with being slow
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #79
smileycvc
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I'm not super technical with engine design, but couldn't a bad tune cause this?

Bad tune = high temps = warps head = head gasket leak = leaked coolant on head causes temp fluctuations on isolated location of head = cracked head?
I know this post is really old, but detonation can cause cylinder cracks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #80
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I agree with the fact that tuning these cars carries a risk. I don't think Dinan is particularly slow- perhaps slower than some of the other mentioned solutions. I went with Dinan purely because the cost is nothing when it gives me peace of mind with the warranty - I don't need my daily driver to be the fastest car on the road, I just wanted a little more oomph while retaining OEM driveability.
If I decide to take this car further and Dinan doesn't meet my needs then I'll make the appropriate choice. Fact is two consecutive 80 to 140 rolls with an M4 and sitting right there with my car very slowly pulling away above 120 reinforced my decision.

It all really comes to choice and what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
If you didnt want your tune to he detected. Should either stayed stock or hit up dinan and suffer with being slow
Appreciate 1
CAMOETO140.00
      10-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #81
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Wow I can't believe people still think they can hide stuff from the manufacturer. If they want to find out they will. They can look back at data and see your boost was above stock.

Anyway, it's pretty dishonest to try getting the manufacturer to pay for a modded car. If you mod, you need to take responsibility for what could happen.

Do I believe that the tune caused caused this guy's problem? I don't know what kind of tune he had or how hard he was pushing it? Maybe it was a bad tune? Probably wasn't the tune though, but it doesn't matter. Learn from this guy's mistake and don't do it unless you are willing to spend big bucks on repairs.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #82
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Hey everyone.. Sorry I have been away for a little while from the Forums.

I would be getting BMWNA involved in this case for sure before your pull the plug on paying out for the repair. Flash Tune, JB4, or any sort of Tune.. Return it to stock or not.. BMW will be able to pick it up through the FASTADATA that is sent back to HQ when ever a vehicle is scanned. HQ can see more data than us techs can as well. BMW lately has been Cracking down on tunes in vehicles including able to detect piggy back modules such as the JB4.

Also in the case BMW has to prove to you that the Tune was the failure of the component. If they cant prove it, they half to cover it. that being said BMW has millions of dollars in engineers and lawyers who will most likely find a reason to back up their claim.

I sure hope BMW covers this repair for you to be honest. It is sad to see this happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #83
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
r.e. the comments that this just HAS to be a manufacturing defect to crack the block - if he is losing a liter of fluid a month, he might get enough into the cylinder at one time to hydro-lock it, causing the crack (and probably a bent rod, or at least damaged bearings). I'd be looking for a complete takeout engine, assuming this one is largely toast.

And one of those threads that really conflicts me - on one hand I feel for the OP, but all the suggestions about how to pass this off to another buyer, or hide the mods from the dealer do seem to be outright fraud - bad karma and a discredit to the more honorable tuners out there. This isn't a case of a dealer trying to weasel out of legit coverage - it was quite clear that these mods would void warranty (regardless of whether it actually caused the fail). I fear that every one of these cases makes the dealerships that much more likely to be defensive and litigious with all of us, less likely to goodwill anything. As many have noted, once you mod like this, you are taking on the risk to the engine and drivetrain.
I almost bought this car. It's sitting at Bellevue BMW right now. The no CPO on a car with 27K miles had my spidey senses going off. No fault on the OP, shit happens. Hope the car is good for someone.
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #84
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Don't think it would matter if you flashed back to stock settings. The ECU was opened up and the sticker seal broken so it will be an obvious sign of tampering even if flashed back.

Plus direct from Enzo Tuning website

"By applying our tamper proof label on each ECU calibration, you have the peace of mind that ensures the highest quality of performance available" Not sure if poster had Enzo tune, or if all flash tuners put some sort of sticker/seal on after they tune and open the ECU.

This sounds like they put a sticker on your ECU that can't be taken off without destroying the label, so pretty sure if BMW saw this label after taking engine apart they wouldn't cover anything.

I'd love a flash tune as it definitely appears to be the way to go for power/drivability, but stories like this guy will make me stick to piggyback until warranty is up. Maybe that's a false sense of security on my end as some say hidden tuner codes pop up with piggies, but haven't really heard of warranty claims denied if piggy is taken off and any codes cleared. Audi seems to be really aggressive with flagging cars with tunes, BMW a little less so unless things are obvious, at least for now.
I don't think OEM uses a tamper proof sticker.

If I took mine to a tuner I would not want them putting one on either.

Yes, from what I've read about Audi they are the worst. Anytime your car is at the dealer for service the first thing they do is hook it up to some sort of scan tool to check for ECU tampering. It's flagged automatically by the Audi system with no manual input from the tech. Even if you go in for basic scheduled service they do this.
Yes, from what I've read about Audi they are the worst. Anytime your car is at the dealer for service the first thing they do is hook it up to some sort of scan tool to check for ECU tampering. It's flagged automatically by the Audi system with no manual input from the tech. Even if you go in for basic scheduled service they do this.[/QUOTE]

My son is an Audi tech. He tells me that they can tell if an ECU has ever been tuned.