THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235i aFe Power intake dyno test

09-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #45
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

I had to create an account and crap to ask the question. Went ahead and registered my intake since I created the account. I'll keep you posted on their response.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #46
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

No response from them and its been well over the 48hrs they claim they will respond by. Hope they have better support for more technical related issues like with their tuner device.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #47
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

:-(
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #48
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM View Post
Hmmmm... so it seems like it actually does *not* suck up more hot air as the "internet engineers" speculate and produces more power too!
Internet engineers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #49
aFePOWER
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry nobody got back to you about the flow.
Let me explain it for you:

30-10226 is a OE replacement filter. It fits directly into the OE air box. It flows 528 cfm at 1.5"H2O by itself (not inside the air box). OE filter flows 410 cfm at 1.5"H2O by itself

54-82202 is a full intake system that replaces the the OE air box, tube and filter. It flows 205 cfm at 1.5"H2O. OE intake system (air box + tube + OE filter) flows 150 cfm at 1.5"H2O.

So you cannot compare the flow of the filter by itself versus the full intake system. The OE replacement filter doesn't outflow the full air intake system, it's just different test set up.

Let me know if you have additional questions
Christian
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #50
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFePOWER View Post

30-10226 is a OE replacement filter. It fits directly into the OE air box. It flows 528 cfm at 1.5"H2O by itself (not inside the air box). OE filter flows 410 cfm at 1.5"H2O by itself

54-82202 is a full intake system that replaces the the OE air box, tube and filter. It flows 205 cfm at 1.5"H2O. OE intake system (air box + tube + OE filter) flows 150 cfm at 1.5"H2O.

So you cannot compare the flow of the filter by itself versus the full intake system. The OE replacement filter doesn't outflow the full air intake system, it's just different test set up.

Christian
Can you guys put the OE replacement filter and do the same test where the OE intake system flows 150 cfm at 1.5"H2O so we can see the 3 systems compared at the same condition...?

If you were able to measure the stock box, you should be able to do the same with the stock box and a drop in filter right?...

mmmm.... if the stock box flows 150 and the OE filter by itself flows 410 and the drop in flow 528 by itself.. I guess the drop-in inside the box should flow around 193 cfm

So i guess 150 (stock) - 193 (drop-in) - 205 (full intake) ... not much improvement in flow from the drop in to the full intake...? am i correct?

Last edited by pikcachu; 09-30-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #51
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFePOWER View Post

Christian
Thanks for jumping on and responding, much appreciated.

I'm sure more questions will pop

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
aFePOWER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
No response from them and its been well over the 48hrs they claim they will respond by. Hope they have better support for more technical related issues like with their tuner device.
Please also accept our apologies on that, we just found out today there was an error and these requests have not been hitting the intended targets for answers. This is being fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #53
aFePOWER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Can you guys put the OE replacement filter and do the same test where the OE intake system flows 150 cfm at 1.5"H2O so we can see the 3 systems compared at the same condition...?

If you were able to measure the stock box, you should be able to do the same with the stock box and a drop in filter right?...

mmmm.... if the stock box flows 150 and the OE filter by itself flows 410 and the drop in flow 528 by itself.. I guess the drop-in inside the box should flow around 193 cfm

So i guess 150 (stock) - 193 (drop-in) - 205 (full intake) ... not much improvement in flow from the drop in to the full intake...? am i correct?
These products are sent through R&D and comparisons we test and publish are to keep things apples to apples, for example comparing the drop in filter to our OE replacement, and stock intake versus our aFe intake system.

Customers are typically either in one of two categories when considering performance products, just wanting a better flowing OE filter with lifetime warranty and the ability to clean it, or are looking for a more substantial performance product like an full intake system that will change sound, have a much stronger impact on performance, etc.

I don't think taking percentages of the OE-sized comparison and applying it to the intakes will necessarily be accurate, but we do not currently have the data you're asking for.

There are a lot of other benefits to replacing an OE filter with an aFe filter, but most of the flow restriction is in the OE airbox design.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #54
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

I see... thanks for the explanation...

I still think it would be beneficial if you could include in the future do the test of the drop-in filter inside the OE box..... if it can be tested with the OE filter, testing with the drop-in should be very simple, just replace the filter and re do the test...

despite sound, is there any other variable apart from flow that will increase the performance between the full intake and the drop-in in the OE box ?

I could think temperature but both are using a box so air is coming from the outside of the car in both cases so temperature should not be a factor...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #55
aFePOWER
Rep

Quote:
I see... thanks for the explanation...

I still think it would be beneficial if you could include in the future do the test of the drop-in filter inside the OE box..... if it can be tested with the OE filter, testing with the drop-in should be very simple, just replace the filter and re do the test...

despite sound, is there any other variable apart from flow that will increase the performance between the full intake and the drop-in in the OE box ?

I could think temperature but both are using a box so air is coming from the outside of the car in both cases so temperature should not be a factor...
Happy to look at testing the OE intake with the aFe drop-in filter to see flow numbers, but as mentioned, generally someone looking for an intake wants a true difference in performance and sound.

OE's in almost any instance, still develop vehicles (even performance or specialty models) with the general public in mind. We have a LOT of female customers who are as proud as any males, but most performance BMW's (we can agree on) are purchase by males, and most their daily driver, and BMW knows this, and will make concessions on performance to reduce sound. To control NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) they measure everything in a lab to try to appease everyone, not necessarily extracting all of the airflow and performance.

We at aFe have the ability to strip those concessions, to 3D scan the engine bay, look at all of the space available, build an intake based upon the filter size we can, develop a new intake box to accommodate the increased size, and take advantage of what is possible, and increase airflow in the intake tract, which also lets the engine breathe and sound awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #56
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
I went closed to help minimize the possibility of hot air being pulled in.
Thanks for sharing this G, do you think using this if I have no intention to do any ECU upgrades (say Burger) worth doing it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #57
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Thanks for sharing this G, do you think using this if I have no intention to do any ECU upgrades (say Burger) worth doing it? Thanks
I see it as some low hanging fruit that based on the limited data I have seen seems to help torque in particular. I would do it again for the slight increases and its a 15 min swap.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #58
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
I see it as some low hanging fruit that based on the limited data I have seen seems to help torque in particular. I would do it again for the slight increases and its a 15 min swap.
I appreciate your response G, very useful, I'm more interested on this one you got (the closed one) rather than the open. So, no heat soaking with the enclosed model right? Sometimes I have to drive with heavy traffic and want to avoid the intake soaking very hot air. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #59
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
I appreciate your response G, very useful, I'm more interested on this one you got (the closed one) rather than the open. So, no heat soaking with the enclosed model right? Sometimes I have to drive with heavy traffic and want to avoid the intake soaking very hot air. Thanks again!
That is the theory but I can't say for sure. I do feel that a open filter has more opportunity to pull in hot air and I think the one thing we will all agree on is hot air is no good. A open filter also has more opportunity to pull in more air so perhaps this is why it might make the better 1/4 mile filter but perhaps for daily driving in traffic the closed box is best in 100 degree temps.

I believe AFE makes both types, it would be interesting if they could chime in on the subject.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold

Last edited by G-Mann; 10-04-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #60
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Yep...there ya have it. Someone on the Internet who has tested every single aftermarket intake available for the past 30 years and has been an engineer for 39 years says they don't work.

I'm taking his word for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #61
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
I've raced enough cars (road courses, 1/4 mi, standing mi, etc), in different climates for testing reasons, in 30 yrs and tried every CAI kit on the market to know what works and what doesn't. Many top roadcourse racers and experts that know airflow and that a proper dyno is with hood closed, runs a simple drop-in oem high performance replacement filter. This poor guy lost huge power from heat. Well, if the car was actually road dyno'd or hood closed on the rollers, there would not have been more than a few hp gain when cool. A good high flow drop-in keeps temps within +\- 4-7 degrees...no big swings like this. Good day kids, gents, ladies.
Well that was my thinking too.... when I tried extrapolating the flow numbers from the different tests from afe to get a comparable reading...
No idea if the fact they were tested in different conditions was intentional or not so you can't easily compare one to the other...but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt...

"So i guess 150 (stock) - 193 (drop-in) - 205 (full intake) cfm"

so $75 for the high perf drop in and $400 for the full intake...
to me seems like drop-in is the way to go but although I'm an engineer, I'm not an aerospace one

to me 10 more cfm don't think it's worth $300 at least for street driving...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #62
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well that was my thinking too.... when I tried extrapolating the flow numbers from the different tests from afe to get a comparable reading...
No idea if the fact they were tested in different conditions was intentional or not so you can't easily compare one to the other...but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt...

"So i guess 150 (stock) - 193 (drop-in) - 205 (full intake) cfm"

so $75 for the high perf drop in and $400 for the full intake...
to me seems like drop-in is the way to go but although I'm an engineer, I'm not an aerospace one

to me 10 more cfm don't think it's worth $300 at least for street driving...
It would be nice to see a simple before after dyno, stock and then drop in filter. I doubt anybody buying the drop in is going to spring for the dyno.

I have seen a couple real world dyno's with the AFE closed box and perhaps not the most ideal tests, the results show positive gains, particularly torque numbers. The OP got 8rwhp and 25rwtq I just don't see a drop in netting these kind of results but 5rwhp and 20rwtq would make the drop in pretty damn appealing for the simplicity of it but i just don't see a drop in netting much of anything these days.

I've also seen dyno results where a drop in actually resulted in loss of hp and torque, not to say that is the case here.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #63
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It would be nice to see a simple before after dyno, stock and then drop in filter. I doubt anybody buying the drop in is going to spring for the dyno.

I have seen a couple real world dyno's with the AFE closed box and perhaps not the most ideal tests, the results show positive gains, particularly torque numbers. The OP got 8rwhp and 25rwtq I just don't see a drop in netting these kind of results but 5rwhp and 20rwtq would make the drop in pretty damn appealing for the simplicity of it but i just don't see a drop in netting much of anything these days.

I've also seen dyno results where a drop in actually resulted in loss of hp and torque, not to say that is the case here.
I don't think you will get much gain from just drop-in or an intake alone, but it should sound better and it should be a little bit more efficient as the engine will breath easier....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #64
G-Mann
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you will get much gain from just drop-in or an intake alone, but it should sound better and it should be a little bit more efficient as the engine will breath easier....
We can speculate all day long, the only real world dyno data I have seen shows some impressive gains from the AFE, 25 rwtq and no tune for what the OP picked up is worth $400 IMO, not saying I got that, perhaps I got more
My DP arrives this week to add to whatever I picked up from the AFE, could not pass on the shiftech deal. Will also go map 2, can't wait.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold

Last edited by G-Mann; 10-05-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #65
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

I wish we had a dyno comparing the drop-in afe against the full afe intake...

I dont' think there should be much difference between drop-in and full intake from the flow numbers... i mean apart from temperature and flow...i don't think there is anything else affecting perf but no airflow engineer
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #66
OmarK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235

Hello Folks,

I ordered and installed an aFe Magnum force air filter. I noticed that the factory ram air vent is left open to the engine bay area. When cruising at highway speed, there is a considerable amount of air noise coming into the cabin. i took it out and reinstalled the factory intake and the noise is gone so i am fairly sure it is the aFe filter. Can anyone confirm the same noise?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0