THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 Right Headlamp out - bulb ok - how to diagnose?

02-19-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

F22 Right Headlamp out - bulb ok - how to diagnose?

We have a pre-LCI 228i with halogen lights. We recently replaced the main headlights with LED, and the driving lights (the small bulb) also with LED. Huge difference.

The RH side LED started to act up a week after installation, it would come on a few seconds after the lamps were turned on. The dash warning would display a few seconds later and go away after the LED comes on.

Just yesterday the RH LED would not come on at all. I thought the LED bulb was dead, but after installing the old Halogen it too did not come on. I checked both of these bulbs on the LH side and they work.

I checked the fuses and all 3 listed on the fuse card is ok.

So far the only thing I found is 2.4V at the RH bulb wiring terminal, the LH side was 14+V.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this? I'm wondering if I broke a wire while installing the bulb, or the driving bulb on that side.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:16 PM   #2
Bigkris06
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22BMW M240i F87116d

You can’t really tell by the voltage as since canbus things don’t work like that. Maybe worth if you have the patience switching one headlight to the other. That way you can narrow it down to a headlight fault or wiring fault.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:28 AM   #3
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep

I put in a working bulb on it's not coming on. So far, I have the LED light on the LH side, working. The original Halogen on the RH side, not working. I'm wondering if this could be fixed with coding, removing the lighting bulb check for LED lights that are not canbus friendly.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbedrosi View Post
I put in a working bulb on it's not coming on. So far, I have the LED light on the LH side, working. The original Halogen on the RH side, not working. I'm wondering if this could be fixed with coding, removing the lighting bulb check for LED lights that are not canbus friendly.
Did you code for the new LEDs when you switched from the halogens in the first place? The conversion itself generally does require coding.

Last edited by Kernel Kurtz; 02-23-2023 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #5
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep

Hmmmm….the LED has a driver and was advertised as canbus friendly. But I did not code since initially they worked. I do have BimmerCode app.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep

Still don’t have this resolved. Used BimmerCode to code LED headlights/taillights.

What I tried so far.
1) visual inspection of wiring - ok
2) checked halogen bulb on bench with 12v battery - ok
3) checked LED bulb on LH side of car - ok
4) checked LED bulb and halogen on RH side - Not ok
5) checked voltage again at connector - only 2.5V (as you say, canbus, maybe means nothing, but shows no break in circuit)
6) checked 4 fuses total (2 in trunk, 2 under hood) - ok

I removed the RH headlamp (PITA), it’s sitting on the table, don’t see anything out of the ordinary. Wires are in great shape as they should.

I’m attaching the picture of the connector I tested and the main harness port.

I don’t know how to test the large connector that plugs into this headlamp, I’ll search for a diagram.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #7
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep

I checked the voltage with either bulb installed, car running, lights on, and the voltage drops to 0.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 09:19 PM   #8
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep

Just to close this....I ended up taking car to dealership. They found a short fault code in the FEM module, and the module shut down the RH headlamp. Not sure where the short came from but tech just reset the FEM module and all is fine. I think the LED light and controller had an internal short.
Appreciate 1
Dom14790.50