THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 6 months with the M235i

10-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

6 months with the M235i

Background: This is my first BMW and first German car. I have been obsessed with performance cars since my teen years, but prior to the BMW, performance to me always meant manual transmission American muscle cars. I'm in unknown territory with this car.

Experience: I got my license in 1971 (you can do the math). My first performance car came 3 years later - a 1974 Camaro Z28. That was followed by these (all manual transmission):

1971 Olds 4-4-2 W-30
1965 Corvette 396 roadster
1980 Camaro Z28 (new)
1984 Camaro Z28 L69 H.O. (new)
1987 Mustang GT
1995 Mustang GT
2005 Mustang GT (new)
2003 MINI Cooper R50 (finally a beater!)

The Decision: It came down to the 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and the M235i. Loved them both and agonized over the decision (for nearly a year), and finally went with the BMW, mostly based on a desire for change.

The Delivery: Flew to the Performance Delivery Center in SC to pick it up. I totally recommend this experience. It's a great way to be introduced into the BMW culture, which is first-rate, and 180 degrees different than all my previous car-buying experiences.

The car:

Alpine White
Manual Transmission
Coral Red Leather
Driver Assistance Package (camera, parking sensors)
Technology Package (nav, apps)
Brushed Aluminum Trim
Black Kidney Grilles
M Performance Exhaust w/Rear Diffuser
M Performance side sill decals (rocker panel)
M Performance Stainless Pedal covers

The Review:

Perception: The first thing I noticed was the reaction from others. Or, the lack of it. The Mustang color was called Screaming Yellow, and Ford wasn't kidding with that name. Even after 10 years, that car was turning heads and starting conversations wherever it went. It was not only the color, but everyone, from kids to non-enthusiasts to enthusiasts, knows what a Mustang is. You don't have to tell anyone it's fast. They know. The BMW blends in more. I live in a typical New England suburb with a lot of professionals, so there are BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis everywhere you look. A good percentage of them are white, and mine doesn't get a second look most of the time. Friends and family have all commented that it is nice, but only a few realize or believe that it is actually faster than my old Mustang. That said, people will think what they will of the BMW brand. People who know me know that I bought the car for its performance and not its status. Who knows what others think?

Driving Experience: It's still growing on me. Magazine numbers are one thing, but BMW really is more than the numbers. I had heard this numerous times over the years, but you really don't understand it until you live with the car on a daily basis. The clutch is feather-light and grabs right where you want it too. The shifter is also light, but precise and firm. The steering wheel feels amazing - it's thick and small diameter - and the soft padding feels weird at first but is so comfortable once you get used to it. The seats hold you tight and are luxurious. And the ride quality, well, I've never experienced a car that could combine handling and a soft quiet ride like this car. The car is polished in a way the Mustang wasn't - the Mustang was raw and visceral, while the BMW sort of insulates you from the mechanicals, with sound deadening materials and the dreaded clutch delay valve. The small size of the BMW makes it so easy to drive. The net result of all this is that it's a pleasure to drive in normal suburban driving.

Performance: After the break-in period, I started experimenting with the driving mode selector (sport, sport+, and DSC off). I wanted to see if you could be a hooligan in this car (responsibly of course). The Mustang came standard with an LSD and 3.55 gears, and power oversteer was always just a stab of the throttle away. The BMW is much more difficult to get sideways, be it the electronic nannies, the lack of mechanical LSD, or the sheer grip of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It's also more difficult [than the Mustang] to break the tires loose on hard shifts. Pretty sure this is due to a combination of the clutch delay valve and the slightest bit of turbo lag. But no big deal - this will likely save the tires and the car in the long run. And despite the slightly noticeable turbo lag, I have no complaints with this engine. It has torque everywhere. I first noticed this on the ride home from the Performance Delivery Center, where it pulled hard below 2000 rpm in 6th gear.

M Performance Exhaust: If you're on the fence about springing for the M Performance Exhaust, just do it. One of the great pleasures with this car is cruising in 2nd gear in Sport mode, and letting off the throttle - the looks of the car might not turn heads, but the pops from the exhaust when letting off the throttle certainly will. In a good way. The exhaust note is never obnoxious (although a cold start is fairly loud for the first 30 seconds), but it's noticeably more sporty than the stock exhaust.

On the Track: Last month I got the opportunity to drive the M235i on the track. I was invited to a private event with about 12 guys at Palmer Motorsports Park in MA. I was a little hesitant about going at first, with the car only having 3500 miles and still essentially being in showroom condition, but it was too good to pass up. I ran about 20 laps, not pushing it super hard, but hard enough. It's a blast on the track. The turbo lag I mentioned earlier is not noticeable on the track. The torque I mentioned earlier is certainly noticeable, and I was able to stay in 3rd gear the entire time, until exceeding 100 mph on the front straight. No issues with the brakes either, though I didn't punish them by any means. I drove in Sport+ mode with DSC on, and this allowed some tail-out wheelspin on the lower speed turns, while staying under control.

Technology: I have to admit that I'm not the most tech-savvy individual, despite being a software developer by profession, and building my own PCs for the past 15 years or so. I did figure out how to use the M Laptimer app with my iPod Touch at the Palmer track, and also figured out how to connect an OBD2 Wi-Fi adapter to the Dash Command app (for the oil and coolant temp gauges). The technology in the M235i goes beyond what I will probably use. I still don't know how to use all the features of the iDrive - for example, is it possible to swap whatever is on the left side of the split screen with the right side? I have not figured out the "widgets" that I hear others talk about. I have upgraded the software twice, but am still not sure if the OTA updates for the Navigation system are happening. Rain-sensing wipers? I wouldn't know how to use them, since the car has never been driven in the rain. Some of it is needlessly complicated, for example the radio. Why can't there just be the normal tuning knob on the right? That said, the big screen that comes with the Technology Package is impressive, and I have gotten more compliments on that from passengers than any other part of the car.

Reliability: N/A. The car has 3900 miles and has not yet had its first service. So far, everything works, and there are no rattles or squeaks. Knock on wood that this continues.

Quality: I've never paid much attention to fit and finish, but there is an obvious attention to detail with this car brand. The gaps between the sheetmetal are all uniform. No visible flaws in the paint. The interior is a definite step up from what I am used to. The door panels have leather on them. The trim is real aluminum. The Coral Red leather is a perfect color - it's eye-catching without being garish. Even the engine compartment is finished nicely.

Quirks: Do all BMWs get this wet in the door jambs and around the trunk when you wash them? Washing the car is a labor of love so I don't mind it, but it does require an additional 10 minutes or so to dry off the door jamb and inner trunk areas. I use the Absorber synthetic chamois to dry the car, and part of that involves opening both doors and trunk and soaking up the puddles. And could the wheels be any more difficult to clean? If you use a typical wheel cleaner solution and mitt, it's almost impossible to clean between and behind the spokes with all the nooks and crannies.

Summary: After first realizing the car was not as toss-able as the Mustang, I wasn't positive that I had done the right thing. For $10K less, I could have gotten the 435 horsepower S550 Mustang with a real LSD, Brembo brakes, line-lock, heated and cooled seats, and that sexy body style. But like I said, the BMW has grown on me with daily use, and I've come to appreciate all the subtleties that are lost in the magazine reviews. It's a pleasure to drive and it's fun. It's just the right size. It consistently gets over 20 mpg. Absolutely no regrets about the decision now. In another month or so it will be covered up in the garage for the winter, and it will certainly be a long winter without it...
      10-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
bgregg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The latest Mustang GT with the Performance Package is the first one I've really liked a lot. A friend at work bought one, since he likes to track his cars. Like you, I went for the M235i instead. But I was tempted to look at that Mustang GT PP. Then I saw the car magazines saying "if you like the Mustang GT PP take a look at the Camaro 1LE also". I looked at one and decided I was a BMW kind of guy afterall. I even looked at the Audi S3 or Golf R which gets compared to the M235i. Choices in the low $40K pricerange where I was shopping.

Good writeup of your observations!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

Fantastic writeup and review. FWIW I looked at the 2015 Mustang GT as well. I also looked at the Chevy SS believe it or not. Drove a 6MT car but ulitmately decided I really don't need something that big or a 4 door. I did not drive the Mustang thinking I might go back to my pony car days.

My previous rides:

1965 Mustang- straight 6 (at 17 yrs old)
1978 Monza Spyder 3.8 "Buick" 4 spd (yes, decal delete- Lol)
1979 El Camino 305 4 barrel
1984 Z28 H.O. 5 MT
1985 Trans Am H.O. 5 MT
1996 Z28 6MT
1998 M3 5MT (sort of made the conversion starting here)
2004 M3 6MT (traded last month)

Current:
2014 M235i 6MT, silver, coral
1985 S-15 P/U, 4X4 Ext Cab (dad's old truck)
1972 Nova, 350, AT, 3.42, typical bolt on parts
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova

Last edited by supernova72; 10-14-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgregg View Post
The latest Mustang GT with the Performance Package is the first one I've really liked a lot. A friend at work bought one, since he likes to track his cars. Like you, I went for the M235i instead. But I was tempted to look at that Mustang GT PP. Then I saw the car magazines saying "if you like the Mustang GT PP take a look at the Camaro 1LE also". I looked at one and decided I was a BMW kind of guy afterall. I even looked at the Audi S3 or Golf R which gets compared to the M235i. Choices in the low $40K pricerange where I was shopping.

Good writeup of your observations!
I considered all the cars you list above, except the Golf - and I do like the Golf. I drove the S3, and it was great, but no manual so that was out. I also drove a Subaru BRZ but it was cheap and underpowered. I know all about the Camaro 1LE, and might have gone that way, except that the new 6th gen Camaro is only a month away. But that Camaro is a beast! There's no better value for a track car anywhere.

If you're considering cars in the $50K range, the new Mustang GT350 is real attractive. That's another track beast.

Like I said, I'm real happy with the M235i now. It's more subtle than the Camaro/Mustang, with more luxury, and the smaller size makes it easier and more fun to drive around town.
      10-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Fantastic writeup and review. FWIW I looked at the 2015 Mustang GT as well. I also looked at the Chevy SS believe it or not. Drove a 6MT car but ulitmately decided I really don't need something that big or a 4 door. I did not drive the Mustang thinking I might go back to my pony car days.

My previuos rides:

1965 Mustang- straight 6 (at 17 yrs old)
1978 Monza Spyder 3.8 "Buick" 4 spd (yes, decal delete- Lol)
1979 El Camino 305 4 barrel
1984 Z28 H.O. 5 MT
1985 Trans Am H.O. 5 MT
1996 Z28 6MT
1998 M3 5MT (sort of made the conversion starting here)
2004 M3 6MT (traded last month)

Current:
2014 M235i 6MT, silver, coral
1985 S-15 P/U, 4X4 Ext Cab (dad's old truck)
1972 Nova, 350, AT, 3.42, typical bolt on parts
We're sort of parallel in our history! You just made the conversion quicker than I did.

I'm with you on the Chevy SS. If I was in the market for a big 4-door sleeper, that's the car. It's a poor man's M5.
      10-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
You know, you might want to consider getting an LSD. You don't have to get the M-Performance one either. You can get a Quaife or Wavetrac for around $2k. Makes a big difference though.
      10-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

When i first starting reading this review, i thought it will end with you regretting getting this car. Glad that was not the case

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

At 3900 miles, pay the dealership to change your oil.

I changed mine at 4200 and I sent the oil out to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for oil analysis and they said there were enough metals in my oil to warrant an oil change, and that my results were on par of the average 6,000+ miles.

My plan will be to cut the oil change intervals in half. Ex. 1 change under warranty, 1 change me paying.. etc etc
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
We're sort of parallel in our history! You just made the conversion quicker than I did.

I'm with you on the Chevy SS. If I was in the market for a big 4-door sleeper, that's the car. It's a poor man's M5.
With the SS I have a soft spot for GM Holden Aussie cars. But yea, that list of cars by you and I (pre-BMW) has muscle written all over it

When I made the switch to German many of my friends warned me about high maint costs. What I learned over 12 yrs between two M3's is not much breaks on them. A sensor here and there, then I had one alternator failure on the E46 M3. Not sure it was designed for 8,000 rpm's. Ha.
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0