THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics IDrive Messages disappeared

09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
IDrive Messages disappeared

So lets start off. I have a 2014 M235i with tech and premium and more. 5/14 production. My phone is a Nexus 5

When I picked up the car and for 2 months my IDrive worked fairly well.
Every once and a while my messages would miss a text from my phone but not often at all. It would almost always be an incoming messages as the IDrive booted up or something along those lines. Then about 1 week ago I stopped getting messages to show up in the IDrive. I could see all the old ones but no new ones would appear. So I played around with un syncing my phone and deleting it out of my IDrive. No luck. Then one day later when I hit the shortcut I had saved for my messages it would pop a message up saying "Function Not Available" After 2 days of fooling around with other options I tried to do the delete all personal data from Idrive. That did not work. I tried using a buddies phone too. After the delete of the personal data my messages menu option in the telephone section of idrive was no longer there. And because of the wipe I no longer had a shortcut. There was now way to get to messages. Fast forward a day and the messages option came back and in Bluetooth it says receive texts from "nexus 5" And on my phone it says allow access to text messages. Still no messages from any phone i have tried (3 by now). I tried sending a Google map messages and that worked., Showed but as a my info for an address. I tried updating idrve with a usb. IT said it was up to date.

Any Ideas. MY dealer has the brains of a monkey. I could go to another but its a pain.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

This is really weird, you're the third person I have read about with this problem today. The function you have/had is an extra cost option on the 2015 cars, the only messages I can get to my car are the Send To Car messages.

Do you have another Android device to can test or an iOS device?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I tried 3 android phones. I don't have an iOS device. I might be able to swindle a friend with one.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Well this afternoon It started working again.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Whew. This makes me nervous. I don't know BMW's track record with updates and such. I think its a bigger problem, that's just festering. Please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Maybe they did an OTA update in preparation for IOS 8 that really screwed us Android phone users. Another update today that fixed the previous update as my messages on my Note 3 started working again today as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Maybe they did an OTA update in preparation for IOS 8 that really screwed us Android phone users. Another update today that fixed the previous update as my messages on my Note 3 started working again today as well.
Ungh, the thought of OTA without any warning or change logs make me nervous lol.

Oh, also I think the lack of emails may more so be a limitation of the email app. Are you using Gmail or the Samsung email app? Unfortunately, if neither of them are programmed to send information via bluetooth, it's on Samsung/Google and not BMW. I have a Note 3 too, I'll keep you posted if I can get it working.
Appreciate 0