THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lunatic Stops His Car In The Middle Of A Freeway To Attack Other Driver

02-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #155
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post

Oh, I disagree with this, I see this daily. Last night past 10PM, so not rush hour, no slow traffic to be seen, 65 km commute, I counted 7 cars blocking passing lane going exactly the speed limit, some of them, a car length ahead of the car on their right, moving at the same speed, 2 of them just driving in left lane with 2 others being completely empty.

~~for law enforcement officials on the forum: of course I was observing all this going 1 below speed limit in the middle lane and minding my own business
Ok...so?

So they pulled into the fast lane and then the traffic on the right sped up a bit. This really gets you mad?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #156
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

About 10 or 12 years ago, I was riding my motorcycle in the slow lane at the speed limit. It is an interesting end of the bridge because it is easy to take the right hand exit even if you are in the left, "fast" lane. A BMW 323i was riding my ass so hard, I did a brake check without any velocity change as indicated in the rider's written test.

He got so mad, he honked at me. I made a mistake, as usual, and shook my fist in the air. He agreeably pulled over at the nearest parking lot, and being young and dumb, pulled around to meet him. He looked pretty tough, and I had no idea what to do so I kept my visor-less helmet on.

He yelled at me; I noticed he had a 5 or six year old kid in the back. Nasty, but I told him after I would drop him, then I would urinate on him. His kid started crying and then I felt bad so I left. I doubt he had a big weapon.

Looking back, it would have been funny if I pulled a E. Honda on him. Those don't feel good.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #157
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I appreciate your response and concern.

I typically lift and slow at first and this nearly always generates the response of getting closer.

Next, I touch the brakes enough with my left foot enough to show the lights without slowing the vehicle.

If I brake-check someone, they have been a complete asshat. Additionally, I never use any of my cars' full capabilities. I know that it would end in disaster...especially with the M6.

Cheers-mk
People tailgating an M6? I'm not sure now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #158
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll be honest... I just like to drive fast (it's why I own a BMW).

But seriously, in most metropolitan areas, the concept of keeping the left-most lane open just for passing traffic is a bit antiquated. Most large cities has levels of traffic that all lanes are occupied simply because the road space is saturated with cars. And although I enjoy driving fast and have a somewhat disregard for paying speeding tickets, others do not. So if I'm travelling at well over the speed limit and some jerk in a BMW comes up on my ass because he's going 3 MPH faster than me and I am travelling at the fastest speed possible in the (left) lane while keeping a safe braking distance between me and the car in front (also traveling well above the speed limit - or better phrased the ambient speed limit) there is no need for such tailgating behavior from the BMW. This is where I find a high level of annoyance and provide a bit of a brake-check just to keep things in perspective for him/her.
I see your point but it all depends on the amount of traffic. If its congested then its understandable but this type of driving happens in LA even during mild traffic. And the worst part is when I am in the fast lane going 75-80mph and someone enters my lane without checking their blind spot with cruise control on 65, THAT should be illegal.

As another member said, this method works great in most of Europe and that's mainly why I enjoyed driving there so much. I feel like the main problem is that average drivers in the US aren't as attentive as they should be, they are not too aware of their surroundings, again not all but most drivers in LA at least aren't aware of what is going on. In Germany, that was the opposite, most drivers were aware of their surroundings and were not scared to switch lanes to free up the flow of faster traffic.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #159
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoccultwar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I appreciate your response and concern.

I typically lift and slow at first and this nearly always generates the response of getting closer.

Next, I touch the brakes enough with my left foot enough to show the lights without slowing the vehicle.

If I brake-check someone, they have been a complete asshat. Additionally, I never use any of my cars' full capabilities. I know that it would end in disaster...especially with the M6.

Cheers-mk
Because he's not driving 155 all the time?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #160
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ok...so?

So they pulled into the fast lane and then the traffic on the right sped up a bit. This really gets you mad?
Not mad, not at all, annoyed maybe.

Unlike person in the video above, I don't get mad in traffic. There were times when I did in the past, but I've learned it's not worth my time or effort. Someone gives me a finger or cuts me off, I wish them a nice day and just drive away or slow down. Not because I'm a wuss either, but rather responsible law abiding adult, husband and parent of two.

What I'm talking about is not the scenario you're describing either. It's deliberate/ignorant driving in the passing lane, "I don't care what's going on around me or what I learned when I took the driver's license exam" driving habit.

As someone who grew up and lived most of his life in Europe, still drive there frequently and also had a chance to drive on other continents, I can tell you this is average North American driver. Of course not all, but a lot of drivers behave like this in Canada and US. In Europe, you're in passing lane and see a speck in your rear view mirror, you get the hell out of the way, no matter what speed you or car behind is traveling at, you just move over. In my opinion, just the way it should be, let the police deal with people speeding. Consider that (yes unlikely) maybe, just maybe they have an emergency they need to get to.

If we had this kind of discipline here, we would have a case for legally increasing highway speed limits that are well over 30 years old in many states and provinces. Modern car are more than capable of moving safely quite a bit faster than average 65mph speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #161
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoccultwar View Post
In typical morning traffic.
Appreciate 0