THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anybody installed exhaust cut outs (or muffler delete)

07-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Anybody installed exhaust cut outs (or muffler delete)

The M235i is my wife's DD, and she is very sensitive to how loud the car is. I do have the flapper opened up, which is nice, but I want more! I have a muffler delete on my M3 and also had one on my previous V10 M6, and they were perfect for what I wanted. Loud scream under full throttle, crazy sounding down shifts, and little to no drone cruising.

I understand that with the N55 to get the best sound you really need a full exhaust, but that is really not an option. The car can't be any louder when the wife drives, and I am not going to spend a ton of money on a valvetronic system (if there is one offered). I have heard a friends N54 muffler delete and I thought it sounded pretty good, but I would definitely want to be able to turn it on and off as it was louder than my M3 and droned a lot more. I like the stock exhaust on the 2, but I would love to be able to push a button and hear it really roar or hear the pops and crackles louder!

So, if anyone has a muffler delete or even better an exhaust cut out please post sound clips, pictures of install, and your thoughts or reactions!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I am a bit confused.

You do not want the car louder but you want to do a muffler delete?

I think the best option for you would be catless downpipes with the BMS can flap module to control the exhaust valves depending on how loud you want the car to be.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the confusion! I would be doing a exhaust cut out so that the exhaust would be 100% stock when my wife drives, and then when I drive I can open it up. I just thought I would ask to hear opinions or videos on the sound of the muffler delete since it is basically the same thing.

No way my wife would let me do a muffler delete in her car lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

you can actually get a valvetronic system for stock exhaust from CG Precision for only $150ish. It comes with a remote so you can choose to open up or close the valve.

However, giving that you liked the loud muffler delete option on m3, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the sound. There really is no way of going REALLY loud (ie muffler delete) to stock sound (extremely quiet).

Like Mike said, if you want just a little bit more sound than stock, catless downpipes would be a good choice or maybe a resonator delete as well. However, it depends on your wife if she can tell the difference or mind the sound because car will be a bit louder than stock still on throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet

OP did you ever have the cut out installed ? im curious in having this done aswell, i drove around without the muffler while i was installing the MPE and our car sounds amazing muffler-less, but i cant always have it muffler-less as my wife will complain. A exhaust cut out sounds like the answer. For those who dont know what it is , its basically a butterfly valve that is electronically controlled, so when you open it the mufflers are bypassed and exhaust exits upstream of the mufflers. I have heard of people having problems with the motors on the valves failing alot so im a little cautious of this since i havent had one installed before. Curious if anyone has one on a M235i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet
you can actually get a valvetronic system for stock exhaust from CG Precision for only $150ish. It comes with a remote so you can choose to open up or close the valve.

However, giving that you liked the loud muffler delete option on m3, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the sound. There really is no way of going REALLY loud (ie muffler delete) to stock sound (extremely quiet).

Like Mike said, if you want just a little bit more sound than stock, catless downpipes would be a good choice or maybe a resonator delete as well. However, it depends on your wife if she can tell the difference or mind the sound because car will be a bit louder than stock still on throttle.
For anyone interested, I happen to have the cg precision valve controller for sale in the classifieds section for $100 shipped. Awesome product to pair with your mpe, comes with two remotes and can be installed in minutes.

Only reason I'm selling is I upgraded to an exhaust with no valves.

EDIT: Nevermind, just sold.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4Z808
OP did you ever have the cut out installed ? im curious in having this done aswell, i drove around without the muffler while i was installing the MPE and our car sounds amazing muffler-less, but i cant always have it muffler-less as my wife will complain. A exhaust cut out sounds like the answer. For those who dont know what it is , its basically a butterfly valve that is electronically controlled, so when you open it the mufflers are bypassed and exhaust exits upstream of the mufflers. I have heard of people having problems with the motors on the valves failing alot so im a little cautious of this since i havent had one installed before. Curious if anyone has one on a M235i
Hi, I actually decided to get the m performance exhaust and diffuser as our car was rear-ended and some if the parts had to be replaced anyway! I think it would be a great idea to try the cut out though as I agree the car does sound pretty awesome without any muffler, but at the same time it can get a little annoying to never have a muffler like I do on my m3!

I am very happy with the m performance exhaust for what it is; a wife friendly exhaust thst still gets me more sound. From the outside of the car it sounds amazing, but I will say from the driver seat, if it were my car, I wooukd want it louder than what it is!
Appreciate 0