THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Please Delete

11-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
He was just in for an oil change
I get that. They still road test, though, apparently
      11-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #24
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
There may well be some sort of liability thing where do any work on car = test drive to ensure proper function, to protect dealership and car owner. No idea what the legal environment is like up there, but purely from an underwriting perspective that dealer may have something in the language of their policy.
This is my thinking also.

Put me in that situation though and I definitely say something, there is absolutely no reason for a tech to do my oil change then go WOT 4 or 5 times in my car, language or not.

I know I have to request my car not to be washed, I should not need to request the car to not be redlined.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #25
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I did watch and listen closely, and didn't hear this thing hitting redline, though. WOT, yea, but he quick shifts at what sounds like 4-5k each time. If you can't handle the fact that someone else may road test your vehicle, and "test" the car out to ensure all is well after service, you should request a ride along, next time. You'd have every right to do so, in my opinion.

I do my own services like many others, here, so I'm not too concerned about something like this taking place. Either way they'd never drive my car as hard as I do anyway
      11-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Either way they'd never drive my car as hard as I do anyway
Agreed, but doing so on a cold engine and tranny is bad news bears. Oil needs to be up to adequate temp to set the appropriate film strength to protect the bearings. ATF and manual transmission fluid are the same way. Cold tranny on a 6MT plus shifting hard is a stellar and quick way to destroy the 1-2 syncro.

Cold motor = AT LEAST 10 minutes of driving before driving hard unless of course it's needed in an emergency situation. Otherwise, drive moderately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Agreed, but doing so on a cold engine and tranny is bad news bears. Oil needs to be up to adequate temp to set the appropriate film strength to protect the bearings. ATF and manual transmission fluid are the same way. Cold tranny on a 6MT plus shifting hard is a stellar and quick way to destroy the 1-2 syncro.

Cold motor = AT LEAST 10 minutes of driving before driving hard unless of course it's needed in an emergency situation. Otherwise, drive moderately.
I guess it's one of those total "unknown" situations. I mean, if I drove into the dealer, hot, for an oil change. I would think after a 30-40 min service the block and internals would still be really warm, the oil should get up to temp quick as the coolant will still be hot at this point. That and the way he's driving speeds up the warm up process, lol..

I'll play the devils advocate on this one
      11-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I'll play the devils advocate on this one
Yeah the car could have been idling inside for a while to ensure no leak before pulling out for test drive, still warm, all kinds of things. Even worst case scenario this isn't the end of the world. We've all, on occasion, on a cold day hammered the car to get out into traffic or without thinking about it. The world did not stop spinning on its axis. Not curing cancer here, just not that big a deal.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      11-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #29
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

^^ My thoughts as well. I just hope the OP can come to terms with this. Sounds like they've put him through the ringer on more than one occasion.
      11-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Yeah the car could have been idling inside for a while to ensure no leak before pulling out for test drive, still warm, all kinds of things. Even worst case scenario this isn't the end of the world. We've all, on occasion, on a cold day hammered the car to get out into traffic or without thinking about it. The world did not stop spinning on its axis. Not curing cancer here, just not that big a deal.
Exactly. WOT and redline are two totally different things ...

... and for what it's worth, Porsche recommends not warming up its cars at all before driving off. Reasoning is that it takes the car far longer to warm up when it's not under load, and driving it (albeit within reason; staying under half of redline, etc.) shortens the time the engine operates in that state.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
BEM-S44516.50
      11-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #31
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
and for what it's worth, Porsche recommends not warming up its cars at all before driving off.
Well if Porsche says so, what are we even arguing about?

Seriously though I could be wrong but I am fairly certain NO modern cars are recommended to "warm up" by idling, rather per Herr Porsche Viffermike suggested just drive moderately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Well if Porsche says so, what are we even arguing about?

Seriously though I could be wrong but I am fairly certain NO modern cars are recommended to "warm up" by idling, rather per Herr Porsche Viffermike suggested just drive moderately.
PORSCHE UBER ALLES!

DIE WELT IST FLACH!

- Herr Viffermike von Mannschaft
Appreciate 0