THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF FMIC impressions

03-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

VRSF FMIC impressions

I will be finishing my FBO quest here soon. Looking at the VRSF intercooler but wanted to see if anyone has tested or had any data on this IC. Looks like a great value for the money. I live in Ohio and mainly cruise the streets/spirited driving. Will probably see little track time. Mods will be JB4, Armytrix axhaust, ER Catless DP, Dinan intake ER charge pipes. Will be looking into E85 / 93 mix normally.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Older info but on similar product:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726163

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761043
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

the VRSF intercooler is a great option for daily drivers not looking to track their cars often

Quality product offered at a very reasonable price

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The current FMIC is a great option for non track cars. Our upcoming race FMIC will fill that gap pretty well. It's going to be the largest FMIC on this platform
Appreciate 3
FSociety3811.50
      03-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The current FMIC is a great option for non track cars. Our upcoming race FMIC will fill that gap pretty well. It's going to be the largest FMIC on this platform
Cant wait

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a roll out date..? Will this be similar to your 7" intercooler.? Maybe a group buy preorder..? I am interested already...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
dAPEX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i with FBO

Garage List
2015 BMW m235i  [0.00]
I am happy with my VRSF, although, admittedly I did not log before the intercooler upgrade. Fitment was spot on and the design seems to be good.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAPEX View Post
I am happy with my VRSF, although, admittedly I did not log before the intercooler upgrade. Fitment was spot on and the design seems to be good.
Thnx for the reply, almost pulled the trigger on one but thought it may be a good idea to log stocker then go FBO and get some good data. Still on the fence between VRSF, ATM, Wagner perf II (which only comes in blk )

Last edited by Drpoomanchu; 03-16-2016 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
amw896582.50
      03-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Any ETA on the new IC?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
Thnx for the reply, almost pulled the trigger on one but thought it may be a good idea to log stocker then go FBO and get some good data. Still on the fence between VRSF, ATM, Wagner perf II (which only comes in blk )
Daily driver VRSF or Wagner EVO I

FBO or track Wagner EVO II or wait for the bigger VRSF

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thought i would rehash this thread. I was wanting to see if anyone had any data on the VRSF fmic. I am an intercooler short of FBO and in need of one. I originally waited on VRSF to release their (Race) intercooler and CP's but think its overkill for my needs. Im on Map5 with 3-4gal E85 to 93oct wanting to know how much performance difference is between say Wagner EVO II and VRSF or ER at FBO. there is a pretty descent price difference between the VRSF and the competition. I am not trying to look down on VRSF for great pricing but I also dont want to spend less and cut myself out of performance and in the same respect dont want to spend $400 more for no good reason. Can someone in the know tell me which FMIC would be better geared to FBO applications..?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thought i would rehash this thread. I was wanting to see if anyone had any data on the VRSF fmic. I am an intercooler short of FBO and in need of one. I originally waited on VRSF to release their (Race) intercooler and CP's but think its overkill for my needs. Im on Map5 with 3-4gal E85 to 93oct wanting to know how much performance difference is between say Wagner EVO II and VRSF or ER at FBO. there is a pretty descent price difference between the VRSF and the competition. I am not trying to look down on VRSF for great pricing but I also dont want to spend less and cut myself out of performance and in the same respect dont want to spend $400 more for no good reason. Can someone in the know tell me which FMIC would be better geared to FBO applications..?

Do you track the car often? Do you push the car hard? Does it get really hot in your area?

Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not much in the way of tracking but otherwise yes and it has been miserably hot in Ohio this summer and IAT's 120+ after a pull or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not much in the way of tracking but otherwise yes and it has been miserably hot in Ohio this summer and IAT's 120+ after a pull or two.
Since it is that hot i would go with Wagner EVO 2 performance or wait for the VRSF race

Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Have your current IC, will probably upgrade to your new one
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Been in the 90s here in SoCal for about the last month. Have had no IAT issues during daily driving with multiple pulls.

For the street the VRSF is perfect in my opinion. I even planned on using it for track days, but since they are releasing another IC I figured I should upgrade. My standard VRSF will be up for sale as soon as I get their upgrade. They should send me a production model to test and log the IATs

My buddy with a M2 and I did multiple back-to-back pulls the other night. He's FBO w/JB4 but stock IC. I'm FBO w/jb4 with VRSF IC.

At the end of numerous back to back pulls he saw his IATs peak at 160* which caused some timing issues. I was at ~125* and timing was great.

FWIW we were dead even. Just depends on what gear/mph the cars are in. He's 7spd DCT. I'm 8AT.

Last edited by Anthony235; 08-19-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:

Been in the 90s here in SoCal for about the last month. Have had no IAT issues during daily driving with multiple pulls.

For the street the VRSF is perfect in my opinion. I even planned on using it for track days, but since they are releasing another IC I figured I should upgrade. My standard VRSF will be up for sale as soon as I get their upgrade. They should send me a production model to test and log the IATs

My buddy with a M2 and I did multiple back-to-back pulls the other night. He's FBO w/JB4 but stock IC. I'm FBO w/jb4 with VRSF IC.

At the end of numerous back to back pulls he saw his IATs peak at 160* which caused some timing issues. I was at ~125* and timing was great.

FWIW we were dead even. Just depends on what gear/mph the cars are in. He's 7spd DCT. I'm 8AT.
Thnx great info... where has you car been settling in normally as opposed to ambient..? Here in ohio its been upper 80's to 90's with high humidity and heat soak + IAT's have been bad even under normal driving with a little pull here or there sits at 120+
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thnx great info... where has you car been settling in normally as opposed to ambient..? Here in ohio its been upper 80's to 90's with high humidity and heat soak + IAT's have been bad even under normal driving with a little pull here or there sits at 120+
After some stop and go traffic I'm usually about 15*-20* above ambient. This is just normal driving (no WOT pulls or anything).

If I quickly jump on the freeway after starting the car it's not unusual to see only a 5*-10* difference above ambient.

With my stock IC it would basically double those #'s.

For a WOT pull with my current IC I usually only see an increase of about 20* over starting IAT. Multiple back to back pulls (4+ pulls) get me about 30* above the IAT starting point. FYI these are logging pulls (2.5k to redline). What's cool (pun) is that with my IC you will actually see the IATs drop about 5* for the first 2000 rpm of a full pull

You can easily double those #'s on stock IC after a sigle WOT pull. As my buddy in his M2 did. It was bad to the point we had to stop doing the runs.

For a FBO car with a tune an IC makes a huge difference in keeping IAT down and from bad timing issues after a few runs.

I recommend doing the CP at the sometime.

Last edited by Anthony235; 08-19-2016 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
After some stop and go traffic I'm usually about 15*-20* above ambient. This is just normal driving (no WOT pulls or anything).

If I quickly jump on the freeway after starting the car it's not unusual to see only a 5*-10* difference above ambient.

For a WOT pull with my current IC I usually only see an increase of about 20* over starting IAT. Multiple back to back pulls (4+ pulls) get me about 30* above the IAT starting point. FYI these are logging pulls (2.5k to redline).

You can easily double those #'s on stock IC after a sigle WOT pull. As my buddy in his M2 did. It was bad to the point we had to stop doing the runs.

For a FBO car with a tune an IC makes a huge difference in keeping IAT down and from bad timing issues after a few runs.

Glad you are happy with the FMIC

Appreciate 1
      08-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #20
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:

For a WOT pull with my current IC I usually only see an increase of about 20* over starting IAT. Multiple back to back pulls (4+ pulls) get me about 30* above the IAT starting point. FYI these are logging pulls (2.5k to redline). What's cool (pun) is that with my IC you will actually see the IATs drop about 5* for the first 2000 rpm of a full pull

Thnx again. Sounds like a solid piece. Yes, def doing cp at the same time as IC but stock cp is still holding out (Fingers crossed). Just dont want to go too small and end up in the situation you are going through at the moment. I know IC's are not a one size fits all situation so just trying to buy it right the first time and have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thnx again. Sounds like a solid piece. Yes, def doing cp at the same time as IC but stock cp is still holding out (Fingers crossed). Just dont want to go too small and end up in the situation you are going through at the moment. I know IC's are not a one size fits all situation so just trying to buy it right the first time and have no regrets.
It's not that it's too small. It's comparable to any of the other intercoolers out on the market for street and occasional track use.

There are draw backs to going with the larger intercooler. Weight and increased turbo lag being the main negatives.

If you plan on staying on the stock turbo and it's more of a street car the v1 intercooler will be fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
10dhanoai
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M235i xDrive

Quote:
I did the ER Charge pipe with the VRSF intercooler (smaller size) and everything bolted right up. I also live in Ohio and see the exact same results as Anthony235. The most I ever see is 30 above starting IAT and my record hi is 33. That was that one day in July when we were in the mid 90's. I did not log when I was stock. I also have a BMS intake, JB4 map 5 e85/93, and VRSF Catless DP. Thanks to Mike from x-ph

Last edited by 10dhanoai; 08-22-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 2