THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake

01-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #111
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano22
Just installed the dinan cai and i am happy to report that it was a relatively simple installation which my brother and I did ourselves. We aren't the most experienced when it comes to cars but it went off without a hitch. Runs great, sounds great. Next up, stage 2 when I save up some more scratch.
More pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #112
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Looks good! Nice job. You'll enjoy the Stage 2.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #113
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Hey guys, Im looking at purchasing a Dinan CAI from someone. He said it needs a gasket even know he only has had it for 500mi. Can someone provide a link with the exact gasket I need to buy please, I dont want to buy it unless I know Ill have the correct gasket before hand. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #114
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Hey guys, Im looking at purchasing a Dinan CAI from someone. He said it needs a gasket even know he only has had it for 500mi. Can someone provide a link with the exact gasket I need to buy please, I dont want to buy it unless I know Ill have the correct gasket before hand. TIA!
Are you meaning a gasket between the upper and lower airbox or filter..?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #115
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
He didnt mention which gasket .. He said it would cost me $15 to replace.. Im still waiting to hear back with pics and a price. Im still stock intake and after tons of reading I cant justify the prices vs performance increase (if any at all?) for intake. Dinan seems the best choice for this car as far as looks and hoping that will add slight performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #116
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He didnt mention which gasket .. He said it would cost me $15 to replace.. Im still waiting to hear back with pics and a price. Im still stock intake and after tons of reading I cant justify the prices vs performance increase (if any at all?) for intake. Dinan seems the best choice for this car as far as looks and hoping that will add slight performance.
I bought a dinan intake used as well and there was no gasket between the upper and lower air box where the stock filter seals against the upper/lower housing. I didnot know if there was a gasket there so i bought 3/8 or 5/8 weather stripping and lined the lower airbox. Seals fine and had held up well.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #117
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I bought a dinan intake used as well and there was no gasket between the upper and lower air box where the stock filter seals against the upper/lower housing. I didnot know if there was a gasket there so i bought 3/8 or 5/8 weather stripping and lined the lower airbox. Seals fine and had held up well.
That's all you need to do. I got mine new from Dinan and it's not a custom made part or a drop in gasket or anything like that. If you are super OCD call Dinan and ask what size to get, but it's literally just weather stripping you run around the lip of the lower air box and cut to fit. In their kit it comes rolled up and you install yourself.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #118
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, that sounds really simple! Besides the wether striping and the basic tool to install the intake will I need to do any other modifications or havr and other things bought prior to install? Only reason I ask is because I read in here that if you have the cold wether pkg then you'll need a rivet gun for some reason.. I'm not sure if I'm cold wether pkg other then heated seats.. font want to jump into the install and have to run to the store for something silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
That's all you need to do. I got mine new from Dinan and it's not a custom made part or a drop in gasket or anything like that. If you are super OCD call Dinan and ask what size to get, but it's literally just weather stripping you run around the lip of the lower air box and cut to fit. In their kit it comes rolled up and you install yourself.
Thank you! I'm usually OCD about stuff but this sounds really easy and since you state it's not custom or anything I'll see just pick up some weather striping and be happy. Now if this guy would get back to really want to get a Dinan intake on this car!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #119
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Awesome, that sounds really simple! Besides the wether striping and the basic tool to install the intake will I need to do any other modifications or havr and other things bought prior to install? Only reason I ask is because I read in here that if you have the cold wether pkg then you'll need a rivet gun for some reason.. I'm not sure if I'm cold wether pkg other then heated seats.. font want to jump into the install and have to run to the store for something silly.

Thank you! I'm usually OCD about stuff but this sounds really easy and since you state it's not custom or anything I'll see just pick up some weather striping and be happy. Now if this guy would get back to really want to get a Dinan intake on this car!
I didn't rivet the plate in, left mine open and don't see it being an issue unless you're self conscious about it. Have been driving in it for a while now. Also weather stripping is all you need, nothing special.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #120
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI it's a bit fiddly but if you go slow it's not complicated. The tacky stuff tends to get stuck on the side before actually getting down into the floor of the channel. You can lift up and reposition if needed, just go slow and you will be fine. Where the two ends meet I glued it with flexible glue, but my Dinan guy told me that was not even remotely necessary and I had gone way too OCD.

For the rivets, do them. The whole point of the gasket is to ensure that you are sucking in only cold air from the outside, no heated engine air. A rivet gun is like $8 on Amazon and kind of fun to use. If your seller is keeping his cover plate call Dinan and ask them, I am 100000% sure they could sell you a new one for a nominal (ie $5) fee.

Alternatively, if your seller is local could you guys just meet up and trade lower air boxes? His has gasket and rivets already I would assume.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #121
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mine did not have a snow valve. I have heated seats/steering wheel. MY2014.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #122
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilox90 View Post
I didn't rivet the plate in, left mine open and don't see it being an issue unless you're self conscious about it. Have been driving in it for a while now. Also weather stripping is all you need, nothing special.
I agree, i wouldn't rivet for resale plus would be similar to mppk lower airbox sound wise.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #123
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilox90 View Post
I agree, i wouldn't rivet for resale plus would be similar to mppk lower airbox sound wise.
Sure but if you're going to do that don't waste your time doing the gasket because the open hole defeats the whole purpose of sealing the box. The filter won't fit if you leave the snow valve in so you have to remove it.
Appreciate 2
SerenVoX146.00
BMWZ41908.00
      04-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #124
BadAstroknot
Rep
Drives: 2016 Black M235i xDrive

Quote:
Hey man...so sorry for the slow response. I just wrote back on FB. I explained more and sent a pic of which gasket you'll need and the part number. Again - very sorry for being slow to respond - work has been very busy and I'm moving, so I'm all over the place right now.
SerenVoX146.00
      04-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #125
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Just FYI it's a bit fiddly but if you go slow it's not complicated. The tacky stuff tends to get stuck on the side before actually getting down into the floor of the channel. You can lift up and reposition if needed, just go slow and you will be fine. Where the two ends meet I glued it with flexible glue, but my Dinan guy told me that was not even remotely necessary and I had gone way too OCD.

For the rivets, do them. The whole point of the gasket is to ensure that you are sucking in only cold air from the outside, no heated engine air. A rivet gun is like $8 on Amazon and kind of fun to use. If your seller is keeping his cover plate call Dinan and ask them, I am 100000% sure they could sell you a new one for a nominal (ie $5) fee.

Alternatively, if your seller is local could you guys just meet up and trade lower air boxes? His has gasket and rivets already I would assume.
Not a local sale. And thank you for the explanation, it makes sense. Ill have to check if I have the snow valve, but I asked the seller if hes supplying the plate as well just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAstroknot View Post
Hey man...so sorry for the slow response. I just wrote back on FB. I explained more and sent a pic of which gasket you'll need and the part number. Again - very sorry for being slow to respond - work has been very busy and I'm moving, so I'm all over the place right now.
No worries! Glad your on here too, you can see Im very proactive in making sure I dont run across any issues with my car as Im sure all of us in here are We talked today before I read some of the comments here, are you keeping the cover plate that is riveted in over the snow valve? I know you said everything was gonna be included minus the striping just double checking tho. Other than that man every sounds good with the intake, cant wait to finalize the deal, you have certainly been very communicative. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #126
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
FYI - I used the rivet gun. Frankly I was surprised I even had the cold weather package since I live in South Florida, but it was a car that I bought off the lot so who knows where it was originally built for.

In any event, it just made sense to rivet it up. Didn't want a hole in the engine bay sucking in hot engine air.
Appreciate 2
SerenVoX146.00
BMWZ41908.00
      04-08-2017, 01:30 AM   #127
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
How's this? Will this do?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #128
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I would say you need something 1/4 wide by 5/8 tall if I have to guess. The channel isn't very wide and the weather strip is definitely taller than wide but quite a bit.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      04-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #129
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I've decided to purchase one of these, any third party or forum vendors I should check out for a deal? Or is Dinan stuff pretty much just available direct from the source?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #130
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF 46 View Post
I've decided to purchase one of these, any third party or forum vendors I should check out for a deal? Or is Dinan stuff pretty much just available direct from the source?
Call Matt at Thompson or straight from Dinan. Someone on the M2 forum has one for sale in the classifieds, not a massive savings though. Believe new open box if memory serves.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #131
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF 46 View Post
Contact Evan@Tischer on the forum, getbmwparts.com - good discounts
      04-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #132
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How's this? Will this do?
It dhould work. I think 3/8 is the smallest they sell width wise. cant remember exactly, but as s4 stated the channel is narrow. The kind i bought was grey if I remember correctly. I got it started and pushed it into the lower air box. If i can find the packaging i will post it.
Appreciate 0