THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake

08-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #89
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Videos! would be great
Ryan I sucked it up and bought the thing along with a ecu tune today. The intake itself you notice to be much more peppy and responsive.

Nice sound to it as well. You really hear the turbo. I couldn't stop smiling. I'll take a vid for you tmrw
Oh man nice! I look forward to your video tomorrow!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #90
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
235Beast's car with the Dinan CAI and Dinantronics Sport Tuner was an incredible lift in power. This car is quick, very quick and to the point we were a bit scared that the tires couldn't handle the surge in power and speed in the turns.

In regards to the snow valve, that gets removed and they give you a plate and 4 rivets to cover up the hole after removing the snow valve. Make sure you have a rivet gun or borrow one. Other things to note, there is a piece of rubber that is about 4 inches long that I believe (as we found out) fits on the metal close to the Air Intake Box. PM me and we can take pics of what I mean. Without it you could scratch the Dinan box cover like we did. Also, remember to line the box with the weather stripping before putting on the cover.

All in all, the CAI and Tuner combined with the MPE (ordered with the M235) made for some very cost effective performance. Honestly 235Beast does not need any more power. I would think this thing is pushing about 370 HP with little to no turbo lag.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 01:51 AM   #91
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I upgraded my stock airbox to the mppk version. I wonder if the dinan will work with it. Hmm
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #92
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I thought the MPPK was just the Tune from BMW. I never saw a CAI other than the Dinan. Anyway, I think it's a great upgrade and I'm now looking to see what I can do the same for the X5 (F15).
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport

Last edited by X54TH; 08-04-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #93
M2KH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 235, White

Quote:
I upgraded my stock airbox to the mppk version. I wonder if the dinan will work with it. Hmm
I used the existing lower air box so I assume it would... But double check that. Man I drove it to work on the highway today, couldn't stop smiling.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      08-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #94
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH
235Beast's car with the Dinan CAI and Dinantronics Sport Tuner was an incredible lift in power. This car is quick, very quick and to the point we were a bit scared that the tires couldn't handle the surge in power and speed in the turns.

In regards to the snow valve, that gets removed and they give you a plate and 4 rivets to cover up the hole after removing the snow valve. Make sure you have a rivet gun or borrow one. Other things to note, there is a piece of rubber that is about 4 inches long that I believe (as we found out) fits on the metal close to the Air Intake Box. PM me and we can take pics of what I mean. Without it you could scratch the Dinan box cover like we did. Also, remember to line the box with the weather stripping before putting on the cover.

All in all, the CAI and Tuner combined with the MPE (ordered with the M235) made for some very cost effective performance. Honestly 235Beast does not need any more power. I would think this thing is pushing about 370 HP with little to no turbo lag.
If you think the new Dinan Sport Tune is fast we should meet up...my Stage 2 is blazingly fast (and a little scary at times coming up on on ramp to the 401!!)
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
X54TH897.50
      08-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #95
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I used the existing lower air box so I assume it would... But double check that. Man I drove it to work on the highway today, couldn't stop smiling.
Better be video taping that drive to work
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #96
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4
Quote:

If you think the new Dinan Sport Tune is fast we should meet up...my Stage 2 is blazingly fast (and a little scary at times coming up on on ramp to the 401!!)
Yes, i definitely agree
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #97
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Is this the new tune for $299 with the one year warranty I read about?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #98
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Better be video taping that drive to work
...and we all thought he saw his girl friend before he got into work.

I think he's got a good combination between the CAI and Tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #99
M2KH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Correct. It takes 2 min to install and you feel a difference in sport (it only activates in sport mode).

Wouldn't worry about the 1 year warranty. Used a visa that doubles the warranty so I have 2 years and in the event something happens I'll unplug it and no one will know I had it on.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #100
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, that is the Tune. Mind you that is $299 USD. Bought 2 which was put on 235Beast M235 and the other I put on my Wife's X5 M Sport. I felt there was a significant difference on the M235 and a difference on the X5 but keep in mind the X5 doesn't have the same get up and go. I found the tune to have a subtle difference for the X5. My brother has the BMS chip on his 535Xi and it's no where near as smooth as the Dinan Chip. They do say the Dinan chip is conservative as to not create harm.

One thing I thought was really neat, there is an App (Andriod currently, iPhone coming soon) that connects to the Dinan chip through Bluetooth. You can dial in this thing up to a max of 4 PSI and down to -3 PSI.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #101
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
LOL. That would be great but I don't think I should. I can't afford any more upgrades for M235Beast.

That Dinan Stage 2 with a Dinan CAI must be wickedly fast. I can only imagine.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #102
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Correct. It takes 2 min to install and you feel a difference in sport (it only activates in sport mode).

Wouldn't worry about the 1 year warranty. Used a visa that doubles the warranty so I have 2 years and in the event something happens I'll unplug it and no one will know I had it on.
Actually is running in all modes. Just more noticeable in sport and sport+ is all due to the way the factory modes are programmed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #103
M2KH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Actually is running in all modes. Just more noticeable in sport and sport+ is all due to the way the factory modes are programmed.
Intestine. Budds told me it only activated in sport but you'd know best lol.

Quick questions
- is the iPhone app coming out?
- is the tune set at 4PSI? Or do you need the app to do that?

Whats the difference in aggression/PSI difference between the modes?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #104
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235Beast View Post
Intestine. Budds told me it only activated in sport but you'd know best lol.

Quick questions
- is the iPhone app coming out?
- is the tune set at 4PSI? Or do you need the app to do that?

Whats the difference in aggression/PSI difference between the modes?
iPhone app will be coming out in the future. Currently going back and forth with Apple and all of their requirements.

Tune by default is set to Sport+ (+3PSI out of the box). Would need the BT app to change that as there is no physical dial on the unit to do so.

the modes are: Valet = -3PSI, Stock = Stock, Sport = +2PSI, Sport+ = +3PSI, Race = +4PSI
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #105
M2KH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
iPhone app will be coming out in the future. Currently going back and forth with Apple and all of their requirements.

Tune by default is set to Sport+ (+3PSI out of the box). Would need the BT app to change that as there is no physical dial on the unit to do so.

the modes are: Valet = -3PSI, Stock = Stock, Sport = +2PSI, Sport+ = +3PSI, Race = +4PSI

So stock is essentially the same thing as not having the tune on, correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #106
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235Beast View Post
So stock is essentially the same thing as not having the tune on, correct?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #107
eatsleepblink281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post

I thought I read on one of the forums ppl with MPPK on the 335i only saw 10 HP gains with this Dinan Sports tune?

And since all M235i have the MPPK standard, the gain was 10 HP for us too, cause Dinan website says up to 30 HP gain so was thinking ours was minimal HP gain.

But you feel it more than 10 HP right? man I need to order that and then the Dinan CAI, 370 HP would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #108
abomb60
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I got my Dinan intake tonight and within an hour of UPS leaving it was installed. My car is leased so I didn't want to modify the snow valve with the block-out plate so I just removed it for now and left a hole. MPPK lower airbox will be here Saturday so i'll swap the stock bottom out and put the MPPK box in (M235i's definitely don't have the MPPK airbox). Temps are cool up here in the Northeast and tonight during the obligatory post-install test drive my air intake temp gauge was reading 62 degrees so i'm not terribly worried for a few days. This thing does sound great though. Drove to the store with the windows down just so I could hear it better . I noticed a little better throttle response but that could just be me and not really be due to the intake. MPE should be going on this weekend then I will treat myself to the Dinantronics stage 2 after Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #109
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb60 View Post
I noticed a little better throttle response but that could just be me and not really be due to the intake.
I have Dinan CAI and just added Pure Inlet pipe - helps with intake sounds and throttle response.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      01-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #110
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Just installed the dinan cai and i am happy to report that it was a relatively simple installation which my brother and I did ourselves. We aren't the most experienced when it comes to cars but it went off without a hitch. Runs great, sounds great. Next up, stage 2 when I save up some more scratch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0