THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Car throwing historic fault code P1290

01-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Car throwing historic fault code P1290

Do I need to be worried? It gives me a Drivetrain Malfunction on startup, however if I restart my car one or two times it usually goes away, and I never really gave it much thought but decided to check the code anyway. Car hasn't behaved unusually in any way, and I've been getting these "malfunctions" for months now. Never while driving, only on startups. Once or twice a month at MOST.

The output is: [Ford] Cylinder Head Temperature sensor signal less than self-test range.

See my build list below for my setup. Thanks everyone!

Edit: Not sure if this is related, but my dealer said in the past there was some software issue that they needed to update, never got around to installing it. Maybe that is the issue?
      01-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Search is your friend! This is a very common problem with many causes, just look for "drive train malfunction" in the title, there are 12 threads on the subject in the 2Addicts forum. If you are search challenged take a look at at this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Search is your friend! This is a very common problem with many causes, just look for "drive train malfunction" in the title, there are 12 threads on the subject in the 2Addicts forum. If you are search challenged take a look at at this thread.
I'm not sure if this is entirely fair. Drivetrain malfunction is the most useless error message of them all. This error could be thrown when your HPFP is crashing, but it could also be triggered by a sensor that's not entirely 100%. OP's problem seems to be specific and I doubt generic drivetrain threads are going to help him much.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0