BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What is the next move after the OGM2?

02-24-2024, 11:25 PM   #23
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87Tomei View Post
All day
Everyday and TWICE on Sunday!!!
      02-24-2024, 11:42 PM   #24
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I have a 8Y RS3 coming in April, that might replace the M2C. The current M2/M3 is too ugly to consider. Nothing at MB excites me, and with Porsche you have to spend well over 100k to get anything remotely as fun as the M2, so that's out. Drove a friends new stock CTR and had so much fun. Best manual transmission ever, excellent handling and decent power, FWD be damned. If the RS3 doesn't impress me when it comes in, I'll just save the money and get one of those.
Keep us posted on how you like the 8Y RS3! I went in to place an order for an 8Y, but couldn’t stomach $10K+ ADM for an Audi. I’ve been intent a buying a GT4, but I don’t want to tie up that much cash in a car right now. I keep hearing the FL5 CTR is incredible, so I’m looking for a non-ADM dealer. Bottom line, all my cars need to be worthy of 25-minute lapping sessions at decent pace (with minimal modification).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:47 PM   #25
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Personally I have always considered getting back into my JDM roots: GTR, GR86/BRZ, MX-5, NSX, and even the RCF. But I probably will never sell the F87.
I had a GR86 for about three or four months. Couldn’t help myself because I bought it for sticker price from a dealer in Idaho (shipped it out to CA). It was every bit as fun as my ND1 and ND2 Miatas. Track was a riot in the GR86 and it was surprisingly capable even on stock springs and dampers. Good gearbox, great seating position, natural ergonomics and pedal box, potent little boxer motor (although not very characterful), and tremendously neutral balance with some front camber. Inputs are excellent and the chassis is rigid. It’s like a “poor man’s Porsche,” and that’s high praise! It also feels just like a smaller, slower, cheaper, lighter F87. Same vibes, just more exploitable, smaller, and less conspicuous at low speeds. I didn’t find it justifiable to own both in the same garage.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
      02-24-2024, 11:50 PM   #26
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
TOUGH CALL OP...
I'm rockin the OGM2(and would ONLY trade it for the m2cs) I also have an RS4 in storage and am/was an audi fanboi! Gave my wife the 718 GT4 so at least i can still drive it.

I soooo wanted the RS3 to be a manual and have a button similar to the bmw M5 with the rwd only option. If it had those two things combined with the 5cyl= IMO, the perfect car.
Back when the quadrafolios came to the states, i was on a list with my dealer UNTIL they didnt offer MANUAL!!!
Wont touch a MB with their big floaty-curves and automatics...
Lexus is a business woman's car or a car for a retired dude.
Caddy blackwing could be an option, but again, I still work for a living, not old enough for one yet.

I have money down on a G87M2 but i dont think i can stomach it so i will be asking for my deposit back.
Also have name on a list for the Emira (whenever that happens) will probably sell the gt4 to make room for the Emira.

I daily a truck and chauffeur the kids in a huge Jeep. Harsh rides don't bother me one bit
      02-24-2024, 11:52 PM   #27
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD-by-the-Sea View Post
I replaced mine with a 8Y RS3. I *really* like it -- has decent modern tech, nice interior, great engine/exhaust sound (that 5 cylinder sounds like a baby V10). I also like the adaptive suspension and valved exhaust -- can be comfortable and quiet when you want it or firm and rowdy if you like -- all at the push of a button. The DSG isn't as fun as my old 6-speed, but it shifts pretty damn quick and is better than something you might drive with a torque converter. Doesn't look as amazing as my OG F87, but in turbo blue with the flared fenders it doesn't look half bad either. Oh, and seeing as I like small cars, I love the fact that it basically fits in the same footprint as my old M2, but also gives me back seats to make kid hauling easier.
How’s the trick diff? Does it reduce the understeer as much as they say? Do you track it? If not, do you intend to take it to any HPDEs in the future?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:03 AM   #28
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I replaced mine with a 8Y RS3. I *really* like it -- has decent modern tech, nice interior, great engine/exhaust sound (that 5 cylinder sounds like a baby V10). I also like the adaptive suspension and valved exhaust -- can be comfortable and quiet when you want it or firm and rowdy if you like -- all at the push of a button. The DSG isn't as fun as my old 6-speed, but it shifts pretty damn quick and is better than something you might drive with a torque converter. Doesn't look as amazing as my OG F87, but in turbo blue with the flared fenders it doesn't look half bad either. Oh, and seeing as I like small cars, I love the fact that it basically fits in the same footprint as my old M2, but also gives me back seats to make kid hauling easier.
U really like it ey?... u are making me want to go drive one again. I don't think I want an automatic though My RS4 was ONLY offered in manual. Couldn't even let the RS3 have the option?
      02-25-2024, 12:51 AM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChase View Post
I had a GR86 for about three or four months. Couldn’t help myself because I bought it for sticker price from a dealer in Idaho (shipped it out to CA). It was every bit as fun as my ND1 and ND2 Miatas. Track was a riot in the GR86 and it was surprisingly capable even on stock springs and dampers. Good gearbox, great seating position, natural ergonomics and pedal box, potent little boxer motor (although not very characterful), and tremendously neutral balance with some front camber. Inputs are excellent and the chassis is rigid. It’s like a “poor man’s Porsche,” and that’s high praise! It also feels just like a smaller, slower, cheaper, lighter F87. Same vibes, just more exploitable, smaller, and less conspicuous at low speeds. I didn’t find it justifiable to own both in the same garage.
That's why I really want one! I had an frs and loved it! Now I really want the updates version - which looks far superior compared to the frs.
      02-25-2024, 08:03 AM   #30
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Approaching eight years and 87,000 miles. The Neue Klasse for me...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:10 AM   #31
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Have you tried a G87 M2? You can get a new one for around $70K. That is what I would do unless you need a bigger car.
I couldn't ever consider the G87 M2 based on looks alone. Blech!
Appreciate 2
omasou2088.00
      02-25-2024, 10:12 AM   #32
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
I couldn't ever consider the G87 M2 based on looks alone. Blech!
It is not so bad in black or red. It is the best current production M car.
      02-25-2024, 10:45 PM   #33
RWD-by-the-Sea
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChase View Post
How’s the trick diff? Does it reduce the understeer as much as they say? Do you track it? If not, do you intend to take it to any HPDEs in the future?
Don't track it and don't intend to -- so take this for what it's worth -- it does reduce under steer; you can feel it working mid corner. That said, it's still front-biased AWD and still feels that way (you won't get the tail-happy feeling you do from the F87, obviously).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:49 PM   #34
RWD-by-the-Sea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
U really like it ey?... u are making me want to go drive one again. I don't think I want an automatic though My RS4 was ONLY offered in manual. Couldn't even let the RS3 have the option?
Ha, yeah I'm guessing because they now only put the 5 cylinder in exactly one car they didn't want to pay to certify more than one engine/transmission combination. Especially for a car they sell in the single digit thousands quantity.

I certainly miss my 6-speed, but the DSG is a nice compromise, IMO. I find myself shifting manually with the paddles more often than not.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy730.00
      02-25-2024, 11:40 PM   #35
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't track it and don't intend to -- so take this for what it's worth -- it does reduce under steer; you can feel it working mid corner. That said, it's still front-biased AWD and still feels that way (you won't get the tail-happy feeling you do from the F87, obviously).
Thanks for the description.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:24 PM   #36
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I replaced mine with a 8Y RS3. I *really* like it..
But bottom line, the RS3 just isn't as fun to drive for the vast majority of enthusiasts. I'm glad it fits your lifestyle better, but for me it wasn't even an option because it's a go-pedal car, whereas the M2 is a tail-flippy car. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:06 PM   #37
RWD-by-the-Sea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
But bottom line, the RS3 just isn't as fun to drive for the vast majority of enthusiasts. I'm glad it fits your lifestyle better, but for me it wasn't even an option because it's a go-pedal car, whereas the M2 is a tail-flippy car. To each their own.
Good to know you speak for the vast majority of enthusiasts

But, yeah, as you said. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:15 PM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Good to know you speak for the vast majority of enthusiasts
It's obvious to anyone who looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 05:27 PM   #39
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To extend an olive branch here, I might posit that there are in fact two different dimensions of automotive enthusiasm. One is enthusiasm for vehicles themselves, whereas the other is enthusiasm for driving. They often overlap like a venn diagram, but are not the same. Those who are pure car enthusiasts can admire and enjoy the object itself. Driving enthusiasts are after the drive itself. The object is a means, rather than an end in itself, for the driving enthusiast. I have car enthusiast friends who love cars and coffee events and who love to read magazines about cars that they wouldn't ever drive above 50% of its grip limits. This is why tons of car manufacturers now have "performance" lines, but the cars are not really maximizing driving, connectedness, enjoyment or dynamics in the "analog" sense that is appreciated by those who are hardcore "drivers." This is why I like the term, "drivers' car." That term is more descriptive and evocative to me than, "performance car." A "performance car" like the GT-R is somewhat less interesting to me than many other cars also labeled to be "performance cars" because it lacks a primitive and feelsome nature. The GT-R doesn't NEED its driver in the way that a GR86 needs its driver.

I also have fellow driving enthusiast friends who track their GT3s and RSs or 458 Italias. They'll drive just as hard as someone tracking a stripped out S2000. I drive all my cars on track (aside from SUVs), even if they're only "pinch hitting" for the day. Different aspects of cars may appeal to the car enthusiast more so than the driving enthusiast, and vice versa. I would rather drive a Civic Type R or manual BRZ than a Bentley Continental GT, even with money being no object. That would be a prime example of disproportionate emphasis on driving as opposed to the automobile. I myself am much less interested in cars than in driving, but I realize everyone is different.

Last edited by DrChase; 02-27-2024 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 5
      02-27-2024, 06:52 PM   #40
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
I replaced mine with a 8Y RS3. I *really* like it -- has decent modern tech, nice interior, great engine/exhaust sound (that 5 cylinder sounds like a baby V10). I also like the adaptive suspension and valved exhaust -- can be comfortable and quiet when you want it or firm and rowdy if you like -- all at the push of a button. The DSG isn't as fun as my old 6-speed, but it shifts pretty damn quick and is better than something you might drive with a torque converter. Doesn't look as amazing as my OG F87, but in turbo blue with the flared fenders it doesn't look half bad either. Oh, and seeing as I like small cars, I love the fact that it basically fits in the same footprint as my old M2, but also gives me back doors to make kid hauling easier.
I had an s4 for a while and did not like the audi interior in comparison. You can definitely tell its a vw product.
      02-27-2024, 07:17 PM   #41
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
I had an s4 for a while and did not like the audi interior in comparison. You can definitely tell its a vw product.
Funny how much personal taste plays a role. I've had many Audis as road cars (including a B9 S4). I love Audi and Benz interiors (before Audi went to a sea of screens on the dash and ditched physical buttons and knobs), but am less a fan of BMW interiors. I even like some Lexus interiors better than BMW. But hey, I clearly love my M2C regardless! Oh, and I can't stand the understeer from Quattro and Haldex systems. It's tough to get everything in one vehicle!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2024, 08:02 PM   #42
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The RS3 was my dream car for awhile, a close friend purchased one after I recommended it to him and we loved it.

I was planning on buying it from him when he was done with it, as he switches cars yearly. After I drove it a bunch (Stock & Uni Stage1) I realized it felt no different than my Golf R other than feeling a lot smaller and sounding better.

Rs3 is an amazing car, but I too prefer the m2!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:41 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I’ve driven on street and track everything discussed in this thread. Fired up my M2 for the first time in a month today, took it for a spin, and OMG I’m never selling this car.

I’m a driver, not a car guy.
Appreciate 5
F87source7251.50
philth198.50
87M34.50
      02-27-2024, 11:32 PM   #44
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I’ve driven on street and track everything discussed in this thread. Fired up my M2 for the first time in a month today, took it for a spin, and OMG I’m never selling this car.

I’m a driver, not a car guy.
Jealous, I haven’t driven mine in 2 months just stared at it and sat inside occasionally in the garage. Just about 2 more months for Canadian roads to clear up from salty conditions
Appreciate 0