THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum ZF 8-speed Technical Questions

06-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #23
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

If you have not fasten your seat-belt and have the door open, it will not automatically move to P if you have the foot on the brake pedal.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbird View Post
Your BMW will let you open your door if you have fastened your seat belt
Yes, but my seat belt was not fastened at the time.
At the time I didn't know this and had no reason to fasten my belt to move the car a wee bit.
Slight annoyance at the time, but it was more of a "WTF!" moment, especially when you've never experienced this "safety" feature before.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
Rainbird
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428ix M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes, but my seat belt was not fastened at the time.
At the time I didn't know this and had no reason to fasten my belt to move the car a wee bit.
Slight annoyance at the time, but it was more of a "WTF!" moment, especially when you've never experienced this "safety" feature before.
Yes - first time it happened to me (only days after buying my car) it was a major WTF and OMG moment. If I remember correctly, the manual details this safety feature --- but who reads the entire manual during the first week of ownership?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #26
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
dumb question but when do ppl feel comfortable doing a drain and fill of transmission fluid for the ZF8? 15k miles? 30 k miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
dumb question but when do ppl feel comfortable doing a drain and fill of transmission fluid for the ZF8? 15k miles? 30 k miles?
On mine, I will likely do it at 50k, with a new pan/filter.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #28
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

The temptation to push the parking button while at highway speed, just to see what would happen was significant. I held out for many months but one day my curiosity got the better of me. I pushed the button and immediately the car locked and spun out of control. I actually died twice.

Sorry, I remembered this wrong. Actually nothing happened. Car just kept cruising.

As for the car just going into park if you have the door open and try to drive, this is real. I had a nail in a tire. My plan to find it was to inch the car forward, get out and look, get back in and repeat. Unfortunately it'll just lock the transmission. After a few humiliating attempts which looked like it was the first time driving a car (hard stops which is highly visible by your neighbors watching), I just put latched the seatbelt and sat on top of it. That seemed to defeat the system without closing the door.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
The temptation to push the parking button while at highway speed, just to see what would happen was significant. I held out for many months but one day my curiosity got the better of me. I pushed the button and immediately the car locked and spun out of control. I actually died twice.

Sorry, I remembered this wrong. Actually nothing happened. Car just kept cruising.

As for the car just going into park if you have the door open and try to drive, this is real. I had a nail in a tire. My plan to find it was to inch the car forward, get out and look, get back in and repeat. Unfortunately it'll just lock the transmission. After a few humiliating attempts which looked like it was the first time driving a car (hard stops which is highly visible by your neighbors watching), I just put latched the seatbelt and sat on top of it. That seemed to defeat the system without closing the door.
wonder if coding the seatbelt reminder off would make any difference
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #30
todd hollander
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post

All you need to do is gently apply the brake and you can move forward and back. I asked the BMW mechanics how they do it when putting the car on the lift. Works fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #31
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Do what ever you like with your gear shifter while driving - you cannot damage anything, would not make sense (I have tried it all). The manufacturer have to take all these user scenarios into consideration so his product will not be lethal in those situations.