THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport Mode Vs Sliding the Shifter to the Left (AUTO)

08-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzrya View Post
When you put the shifter in sport automatic, the gears change much faster i noticed.
That may be because of your heavy foot
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #24
bollinm
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI, 2019 X3

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
IMO....
The M235 should have come full performance map/stiff/etc out of the box and at each key insertion and the button pushing should be used to tune down what is needed by the operator. We should not have to sport up for every day driving but sport down for trips and grandma days....

Opinions?

Absolutely!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

This is an awful lot of guess work by a lot of people. I wish BMW would definitvely state *exactly* what happens. They don't, so here's my best guess based on testing today and from other posts.

Eco Pro
Slowest driving behavior, loose throttle mapping, low shift points, allows car to coast when off the throttle and does some regenerative charging.

Comfort
Normal throttle mapping, higher shift points, no changes to chassis/steering from eco pro.

Sport
Follows the user-settable options for drivetrain/chassis. Tighter steering/throttle mapping and higher shift points than comfort mode. Shock dampening more aggressive.

Sport+
Drivetrain, chassis, steering & throttle in the "sport" setting. These should be identical to "Sport" settings, if both chassis and drivetrain were selected in the "Sport" settings. The only change should be that DSC is turned to DTC. If you put the car in cruise control, it will automatically switch back to "Sport" mode.

Auto Shifter
When you tip the shift lever to the left, it seems to drop the A/T into a lower gear. Regardless of which mode you're in, it seems to do this. So today I was going about 30mph in comfort mode. Clicked into "Sport" mode and watched the rpms hop up a bit. Tipped the shifter to the left and they went up even higher (lower gear). In short, I believe the shifter is *independent* of the driving mode. Perhaps a gear drop won't happen if I were in Sports mode and already at high rpm, but at modest rpm, the shifter caused a downshift, regardless of mode.

Love to be corrected if any of this is wrong...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Shift lever to the left It will drop a gear right away and then go back up....no matter what driving mode you are in

if you are in 7th gear and you start doing left-right-left-right-left-right you would end up in 4th...
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #27
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
I believe sport shift has more rapid shifting (the 200 ms shifts) as well as remapped shift points. I have also notice that it tried to hold the Rpms more when braking leading to a bit of droning during engine braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #28
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Shift lever to the left It will drop a gear right away and then go back up....no matter what driving mode you are in

if you are in 7th gear and you start doing left-right-left-right-left-right you would end up in 4th...
Did not know this.

OK, now I'm gonna try this….
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
I believe sport shift has more rapid shifting (the 200 ms shifts) as well as remapped shift points. I have also notice that it tried to hold the Rpms more when braking leading to a bit of droning during engine braking.
Oooh…

Good point. I think you're right about the quicker shifts. Not sure if it's a product of the mode or just that the shift is happening at a higher rpm, giving it a "Thunk-ier" shift. But it does feel like it shifts faster.

You also make a good point re downshifts. The sport modes definitely hold onto their gears longer when braking before down shifting.

I remember that month's ago several reviewers mentioned that when braking, the M235i was in the perfect gear for blasting out of corners, without having to manually downshift. I saw that today as I slowed as I approached a red light in Sport+. The light changed to green before I'd stopped and I was able to goose it and pull right away w/o any perceptible downshift.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #30
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
Oooh…

Good point. I think you're right about the quicker shifts. Not sure if it's a product of the mode or just that the shift is happening at a higher rpm, giving it a "Thunk-ier" shift. But it does feel like it shifts faster.

You also make a good point re downshifts. The sport modes definitely hold onto their gears longer when braking before down shifting.

I remember that month's ago several reviewers mentioned that when braking, the M235i was in the perfect gear for blasting out of corners, without having to manually downshift. I saw that today as I slowed as I approached a red light in Sport+. The light changed to green before I'd stopped and I was able to goose it and pull right away w/o any perceptible downshift.
Yup, and it makes sense to save the quick shifts for when you ask for them. It's much harder on the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
This is an awful lot of guess work by a lot of people. I wish BMW would definitvely state *exactly* what happens. They don't, so here's my best guess based on testing today and from other posts.

Eco Pro
Slowest driving behavior, loose throttle mapping, low shift points, allows car to coast when off the throttle and does some regenerative charging.

Comfort
Normal throttle mapping, higher shift points, no changes to chassis/steering from eco pro.

Sport
Follows the user-settable options for drivetrain/chassis. Tighter steering/throttle mapping and higher shift points than comfort mode. Shock dampening more aggressive.

Sport+
Drivetrain, chassis, steering & throttle in the "sport" setting. These should be identical to "Sport" settings, if both chassis and drivetrain were selected in the "Sport" settings. The only change should be that DSC is turned to DTC. If you put the car in cruise control, it will automatically switch back to "Sport" mode.

Auto Shifter
When you tip the shift lever to the left, it seems to drop the A/T into a lower gear. Regardless of which mode you're in, it seems to do this. So today I was going about 30mph in comfort mode. Clicked into "Sport" mode and watched the rpms hop up a bit. Tipped the shifter to the left and they went up even higher (lower gear). In short, I believe the shifter is *independent* of the driving mode. Perhaps a gear drop won't happen if I were in Sports mode and already at high rpm, but at modest rpm, the shifter caused a downshift, regardless of mode.

Love to be corrected if any of this is wrong...

For my part I'm not guessing, I'm going from experience and reading tech info on how ZF designed this trans.
It's a very high tech torque converter trans. The best AT I've ever driven, and I'm an MT driver who got caught up in the high tech-ness of it all.
But I think my next BMW will be back to MT.

Regarding the trans and shift lever position, we've covered what it does.
What you are experiencing is how it is designed to work.
In any driver mode, moving the lever to the left puts the trans in DS mode, which is sport mode for the trans shift programming, where it holds gear longer waiting to shift at higher rpm for better acceleration, because you're accelerating in the lower gear longer.

Anytime you select DS by moving the lever over the trans will drop one gear, because it thinks you want faster/sportier acceleration.

If you are in sport mode, with chassis+drivetrain selected, keeping the lever in the normal right side position also puts the trans in "sport" mode, meaning it will hold gear longer.
Moving the DS mode will drop a gear, but will retain the sport shift programming. IOW, when in sport mode the trans shift program is the same whether the lever is in standard position or the the left/DS position.
Even though it downshifts 1 gear it will still upshift fairly quickly to where it was and then continue to shift under the same programming.

You can test that by keeping the throttle steady while in the standard lever position, then move it to the left/DS position, it'll downshift 1 gear but as lnog as you don't push the throttle for acceleration the trans will shift back up.
It's an odd thing that BMW thought would be cool I guess.
You can get the same effect by leaving the lever in default position and pressing on the throttle to activate a downshift like for passing.

You may have discovered this already, if you press the throttle down it will down shift a gear. But if you push ALL the way down past that little resistance point, it will activate a multi gear downshift for RIGHT NOW passing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #32
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

lol... just found this...

ICM 3000 IcmKod_B_InitEco verbaut nicht_verbaut The vehicle will start in drive mode Eco Pro every startup.

I guess there is remember ECO PRO but not Sport
Appreciate 0