THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help me out of my dilemma

09-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The only thing I would say about the Cayman which has been mentioned by a few Cayman owners is the ride is not going to be anywhere near as compliant as the 2 series, but I bet the roads in Dubai are smooth as a sand dune.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #24
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
Cayman
2013 BMW E 82 135 i Retired
2012 BMW F 20 116 i Retired
2011 BMW E 81 116 i Retired
2007 BMW E 87 116 i Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

I don't get the logic in the OP at all. But f-it, if you don't need seats, can't swing an m3, K-man.
      09-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #26
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Not even a question...Cayman!! M235i not even in the same universe!! That is why its $30000 less! M4 is a beast too...but again...Porsche...there is no substitute!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #27
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Porsche. BMW is a stepping stone on the way to Porsche, at least for me. I'd driven Porsche's early on in life and am now working to get back to them, BMW's will suffice for now. That said, you don't need back seats and the price difference is negligible for you, I know what I would do in your shoes
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

I drive a 14 M235i as my daily driver and a 12 Porsche 991 Carerra 3.4 (same engine and platform as the cayman GTS give or take) on the weekends.

Both cars are great.

The engines in both cars are great.

But, they are different. The Carrera feels much more planted on the road (and so it should with all the surplus rubber it has) and is much more confidence inspiring in the corners and under braking. Despite the M-performance brakes being marginally bigger on the 235i, a lot can be said for having 4 pots front and rear on the 991. The BMW does wallow in comparison but is still a very capable machine. The main difference is in the power delivery. The 991 really growls and rumbles from the get go (not synthesised through the speakers but through a mechanical reverberator) and builds up gradually too a crescendo of performance near redline. It needs and wants to be revved. Peak torque (395nm) is made at around 5500 rpm and peak power (350hp) is at around 7400. The 235 will give you a much healthier 450nm at 1300rmp and produce its 326hp at around 7000. The porsche is much more free revving but doesn't give you quite the same kick (perceived) as the bimmer on the straights. There isn't much between the two in straight-line performance but the porsche will be better in the corners. This means the cayman gts will be even better still in the corners. All depends on what you want. Value for money wise, get the m235i. For sheer driving pleasure, get the Porsche. I wouldn't be unhappy stuck with either as a single car. I will say (personal opinion) the M235i feels more plush inside than even the 991 and comes much better equipped. Both cars ride a bit on the firm side but the 991 on standard dampers certainly isn't uncomfortable over even some quite rough surfaces. The m235i with adaptive suspension benefits from the best of both worlds though. Gearboxes: i have sport auto and PDK. Wouldn't even touch the manual in the Porsche. PDK is so so good. The zf8 is smooth and very fast (on par time wise id say) but doesn't seem to have the same mechanical heft as the pdk does in its operation. Its less of an event to use. Its a tougher choice than one would think, but a great dilemma to have!

Edit: If money is no issue at all (or they are the same price in your locale) get the Porsche. Running costs will be more or less the same in every respect bar road tax and servicing.

Last edited by allthatisntnow; 10-02-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #29
Researcher
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M235i / C7 3LT Z51

Mate, I lived in Dubai not long ago: you can pickup awesome used cars that are only 2-3 years old and have low mileage for a fraction of what you pay anywhere else. R8 for 145k Dirhams! Why get a new car? Get one from an expat that is leaving!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #30
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Mate, I lived in Dubai not long ago: you can pickup awesome used cars that are only 2-3 years old and have low mileage for a fraction of what you pay anywhere else. R8 for 145k Dirhams! Why get a new car? Get one from an expat that is leaving!
Oh, you're not gonna suggest that he get a Stingray?
///M235i | 2015 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | 8-speed automatic | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Heated Seats | Harman/Kardon Premium Sound | M Performance Exhaust w/ Chrome Tips | Black Kidney Grilles | Carbon Fiber: Mirror Caps, Interior w/ Alcantara Trim, and Brake Handle
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #31
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating others' comments. If you have loved your V8 experience in the e92M, the step down from a day to day perspective to f22 may be bigger than one to a C GTS or f82. I believe it is this change/step factor that you should focus on rather than on the merits of each car. One of ex m3 owner has now gone back to f82. PM him to have his view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenato View Post
hello fellow members,

I'm in a huge dilemma here. and I need some opinions.

I have to say bye to my lovely e92 m3 (love that thing) but it has to go for some reasons.

it is time to buy a new car and after consecutive searching I have decided my possible options.

taking into consideration that it will be my daily driver and I rarely go to the track ( once in 2 month.. etc)

I'm a working student/engineer so I don't care about practicality/space. an extra seat for my gf is all I need.

here is my options in mind:

* 2015 Cayman GTS brand new

- price : 95000 usd
- heavily optioned ( i don't like stripped cars)
- I have test driven a Cayman s and i have to say it feels amazing and the handling of a mid engine car is intoxicating.. all in all amazing driving experience (freaking love that NA flat 6)
- higher prestige / looks amazing
- higher maintenance ( more headache) / insurance cost
- if i get this car my OCD will generate a raging beast over a door dent or a scratch (dam those who fling their doors open into other cars)

* 2014 m235i full m performance kit ( excluding m performance brakes )

- price : 82000 usd (yes it's an official stealership in a zero tax country (I live in dubai , UAE) )
- full typical bmw options
- I have test driven this car and I have to say this thing is fast and fun (also no noticeable turbo lag)
- I know that by getting this car I would be transitioning from a full blown M car to a wannabe M car but it doesn't bother me at all.
- compact size (love small cars)/ good looking car
- little to no maintenance cost
- if I get this car I will surely go pp-performance stage 2 which puts this car at nearly 400hp while still keeping my full bmw warranty
and maybe armytrix catless exhaust in the future

other unlikely options

* 2014 m4

-price : 122000 usd
- i have test driven my friend's m4 and I can see the reason behind all the hype about it but I still think the m235i can be better as a daily driver.
- there is a queue for this thing and i don't find it worth it / less likely to go with this option / can't properly afford

*I would have kept my M3 and waited for the M2 but I need a new car and I'm not a patient person

I do realize that by posting on a 2 series forum I'm asking for biased replies but please i would like to hear your honest opinions (if possible).
so consider yourself in my place and tell me what would you take and why.
I'm leaning towards the Cayman GTS but I'm afraid I might regret my decision and keep thinking "what if I went with the m235i"
both cars are very tempting to me, I wish I could have both

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #32
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by missxmelon View Post
Oh, you're not gonna suggest that he get a Stingray?
Now, now, stop poking the bear lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #33
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Now, now, stop poking the bear lol
Sorry, couldn't resist!
///M235i | 2015 | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | 8-speed automatic | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Heated Seats | Harman/Kardon Premium Sound | M Performance Exhaust w/ Chrome Tips | Black Kidney Grilles | Carbon Fiber: Mirror Caps, Interior w/ Alcantara Trim, and Brake Handle
Appreciate 0