THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Oil temperature and fan after engine shutdown

09-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Spetsat
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Oil temperature and fan after engine shutdown

I have been tracking my oil and water temperature via the secret menu. During normal use I get these temperatures:

Water: ~105 degrees C (220 F)
Oil: ~115 degrees C (240 F)
Outside: 20 degrees C (70 F)

I thought that the (radiator) fan would run after I have shutdown the engine to cool down the engine, but it is not.

How hot are your cars running and does the fan run (after engine is shutdown)?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Spitfi-r
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Once the engine is off there is no coolant circulation through the radiator to the engine, so there is no benefit to running the fan.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you probably want to run a few laps around the parking lot at low speed after each track session to cool down
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Spetsat
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks for the input.

What I meant also with cooling the engine down is to cool the surrounding components and avoid hot air to stay at places it shouldn't. In other cars the fan is running after turning the car off.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsat View Post
Thanks for the input.

What I meant also with cooling the engine down is to cool the surrounding components and avoid hot air to stay at places it shouldn't. In other cars the fan is running after turning the car off.
Air moving from a fan is a very poor conductor of energy.

As mentioned above, your engine is cooled off by the coolant flowing through the engine which is circulated by the water pump.

When the pump stops, no amount of air is going to cool the engine. The fan is only there to help force air through the radiators to lower the temperature of the coolant. It's job is not to cool the engine with air.

The engine fans are generally NOT supposed to run when the car is off. If you see a car that has the fan running for an extended time after the car off it more than likely has a bad sensor. In some cars, such as diesels, the fan will run after the car is off to help cool off the particle filter. Other cars with turbo timers will keep the entire engine running after the car is "off" for a set time to help lower temperatures.

Generally speaking in modern cars, if you are at normal temps (which it sounds like you are) then shutting the car down is not a problem.

If you've been driving the car extremely hard, then giving it a few minutes of calm driving will give the car more ability to cool off. Standing and idling isn't great since your limited to the airflow of the fan and the heat soak of the engine - moving is key.