THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Base price of 2016 m235i?

06-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
JSY217c
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW

Base price of 2016 m235i?

I had 2015 235i ordered few weeks ago but the dealer just called me and said they are getting me the 2016 model from the factory instead. I guess they don't produce 2015 models anymore? But he also said the base price has increased by $200. does that sound right? I live in canada so maybe its the exchange rate but shouldn't they honor the price i signed for initially?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY217c
I had 2015 235i ordered few weeks ago but the dealer just called me and said they are getting me the 2016 model from the factory instead. I guess they don't produce 2015 models anymore? But he also said the base price has increased by $200. does that sound right? I live in canada so maybe its the exchange rate but shouldn't they honor the price i signed for initially?
I would check the order guide to see if base price has increased. the 2016 has more standard features like alarm
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
JSY217c
Rep

Just talked to the dealership and they said I don't have to worry about the extra $200 and charged me the original price! But they said now I need to wait an additional month and the car will arrive in september...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Just talked to the dealership and they said I don't have to worry about the extra $200 and charged me the original price! But they said now I need to wait an additional month and the car will arrive in september...
Base price of 2016 model did go up, and is think by more than $200. So you got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Same exact thing happened to me. It went up 900 though (us). Its comes with more standard equipment so I was fine with the increase. Maybe I'm too easy going and could gave gotten it for the original price. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Umster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i coupe MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY217c View Post
I'm in the Toronto area. The same thing happened to me. The 2016 price is indeed $200.00 more. M235i in Canada is spec'd differently than in the US. My concern is that the lease rate was 1.9% for the 2015. The 2016 they are now getting for me likely will not be at the same rate. The monthly payments will not likely be higher (may be lower) due to the residual being higher since it's the beginner of the model year. If you are buying, you may not get the lower interest rate if it goes up for the 2016's.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
What colour interior/exterior?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
JSY217c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
What colour interior/exterior?
Alpine white and black leather.

So I looked at the invoice more carefully. Final price was the same, with the same option and everything but that was before the interest was applied. From the previous 1.9% on the 2015 model it went up to 4.99% on the 2016 model. 5 year payment. So I'm not too sure what to do now. Didn't sign anything yet. I might end up passing on it unless they can bring it back down to 1.9% but i doubt they can do that.

If I was to not purchase the vehicle there should be no problem getting my deposit back right? I put $1000 deposit.

Last edited by JSY217c; 06-12-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
JBL84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi Msport Alpine

Garage List
2014 335xi  [0.00]
2014 228i  [0.00]
4.99% is probably a rate that they show when there isn't something out yet. I'm sure BMW won't have that high of a rate and the highest I've ever seen is 3.12% for 60 months. Don't stress too much and I don't know in Canada but in Washington state deposits are refundable up until you drive off the lot
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #10
JSY217c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL84 View Post
4.99% is probably a rate that they show when there isn't something out yet. I'm sure BMW won't have that high of a rate and the highest I've ever seen is 3.12% for 60 months. Don't stress too much and I don't know in Canada but in Washington state deposits are refundable up until you drive off the lot
They currently have a 2014 model at the lot. it had about 10000 km on it and was a demo car for test drives. If I can get a really good deal would it be worth to go for it? And how much can I negotiate for it? I feel a bit iffy about it tho.. It probably wasn't treated with care since it's a demo car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
kimnle
Rep
Drives: Waiting for my delivery!

Quote:
They currently have a 2014 model at the lot. it had about 10000 km on it and was a demo car for test drives. If I can get a really good deal would it be worth to go for it? And how much can I negotiate for it? I feel a bit iffy about it tho.. It probably wasn't treated with care since it's a demo car.
If you are in the GTA, I am guessing that you visited Pfaff BMW. My journey started back in mid may, so I am in the same situation as you are in. For some more background, I also signed a purchase agreement for a 2015 model with the low special rate (1.9%), then to find out a few days later that I had to go for a 2016 model (good part) but the rate defaulted to 4.99% (bad part).

The Canadian situation is quite different from the Americans- the options and packages are the same. The MSRP did increase by $200. I reached out to BMW Canada and BMW finance for a request to honor the rate that I signed to. That had little value and it was a dead end. Bottom line is this:

If i want to gamble to reduce the wait time, you can order the 2016 now and hope that the rates will remain low.

Or, you can wait until July/August for the 2016 rates, then make the decision. By that time, the rate could still be high and be left disappointed.

So what to do??? You can go for a certified pre-own but I bet you will not get that attractive rate.

I am likely going to take the gamble, and order the car as soon as I can. Then hope that the rate will drop by the delivery.

As Canadian consumers, this totally sucks. Try buying a product that will have a fluctuating cost by the time you go pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #12
Umster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnle View Post
If you are in the GTA, I am guessing that you visited Pfaff BMW. My journey started back in mid may, so I am in the same situation as you are in. For some more background, I also signed a purchase agreement for a 2015 model with the low special rate (1.9%), then to find out a few days later that I had to go for a 2016 model (good part) but the rate defaulted to 4.99% (bad part).

The Canadian situation is quite different from the Americans- the options and packages are the same. The MSRP did increase by $200. I reached out to BMW Canada and BMW finance for a request to honor the rate that I signed to. That had little value and it was a dead end. Bottom line is this:

If i want to gamble to reduce the wait time, you can order the 2016 now and hope that the rates will remain low.

Or, you can wait until July/August for the 2016 rates, then make the decision. By that time, the rate could still be high and be left disappointed.

So what to do??? You can go for a certified pre-own but I bet you will not get that attractive rate.

I am likely going to take the gamble, and order the car as soon as I can. Then hope that the rate will drop by the delivery.

As Canadian consumers, this totally sucks. Try buying a product that will have a fluctuating cost by the time you go pick it up.
I'm also in the same situation. I'm likely going to roll the dice and order mine as well. The rate will not likely be higher than about 5%. At Serpa BMW in Aurora, they told me that their current highest interest rate is for the X5 at 5.9% - best seller. The issue for me is that if I wait until August to order after interest are announced, I may not get the car until there's already snow on the ground.

To make matters worse, because I want a fairly "basic" M235i with the 6MT, it could take longer for delivery. Apparently demand for the manual is so low in Canada that BMW will wait until enough manuals have been ordered before they will commit to production of cars with manuals.

I feel the longer I wait the worse my chances are for delivery of a car with a manual.

The dealership tried to estimate the cost for me based on what the residual was last year for the beginning of the 2015 model year and using 4.9% (what they feel will be highest the rate for leasing will be). For the car I want it could end up costing me about $50 more per month.

I tried to get them to allow me to walk away if I felt the rate was too high, but understandably, if I order the car and they have already started production, they won't cancel the deal.

I'm not happy about it, but unfortunately I've fallen in love with this car and I'm not sure I can walk away from it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
MrBimmerM235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Good luck!

Last edited by MrBimmerM235i; 06-14-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
JSY217c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnle View Post

My dealership guaranteed 3.9% interest rate. But they probably already know that it will go down to 3.9% once the car comes in. That extra 2% increase is quite a bit of difference though. With 1.9% in 5 year term the total amount of interest I'd be paying was $2500 and with 3.9% it jumps to $5300. I tried to negotiate it down to 2.9% but they couldn't guarantee it. I'm not quite sure what to do. I really like the car but I don't know if its worth going with 3.9% rate..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Umster
Rep

Quote:
My dealership guaranteed 3.9% interest rate. But they probably already know that it will go down to 3.9% once the car comes in. That extra 2% increase is quite a bit of difference though. With 1.9% in 5 year term the total amount of interest I'd be paying was $2500 and with 3.9% it jumps to $5300. I tried to negotiate it down to 2.9% but they couldn't guarantee it. I'm not quite sure what to do. I really like the car but I don't know if its worth going with 3.9% rate..
The $2800 difference over 5 years comes out to about $47 extra per month. If you consider that the car you would get is actually worth more since your purchasing it earlier in the model year, it's probably worth it. My dealership wouldn't/couldn't even guarantee the 3.9% that you were quoted. The $47 a month works out to about a medium Tim Horton's coffee a day. I think it's worth it, but is it to you? Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

OP, If you are fine with paying that much more in interest, then go for it.
I wouldn't.

If I had a 1.9%, then that is what I would expect to get for the 2016.

It's not likely that the interest rates or lease rates will change that much for 2016 from 2015. BMW is really great and careful with their leasing and finance rates. They play that game very well.

For my M235i configuration the price increase for 2016 is only $305 no matter what I add. My only options considerations are metallic paint, leather or not, and heated seats.
I know I will get the HK audio.

I have to decide between white or mineral white, terra or red leather vs black leatherette, and heated seats or no.
I really want the leatherette seats, I just wish they came in terra and/or red.
Decisions, decisions.
Good to have these types of decisions.
Appreciate 0