THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dads: Can a forward facing toddler seat fit in the m235i?

08-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I did some spelunking here and I saw a bunch of threads talking about child seats in the left or right positions but I wondered if it could fit in the center of the back seat. Ideally confirmed supported by the 2 series owner's manual.

I can't remember but I think the 2er doesn't have a center belt so you would have to rely on the inner latch anchors and top center anchor if it has one.

I didn't think to check all that stuff on the last test drive. I suppose I can meet with the sales guy and check but I figured I would poll dads here to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Ok I think I just answered my own question. Looks like the car only supports tethering on the left and right positions from the owner's manual PDF I found see attached.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Owners manual

Here is the page
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I did some spelunking here and I saw a bunch of threads talking about child seats in the left or right positions but I wondered if it could fit in the center of the back seat. Ideally confirmed supported by the 2 series owner's manual.

I can't remember but I think the 2er doesn't have a center belt so you would have to rely on the inner latch anchors and top center anchor if it has one.

I didn't think to check all that stuff on the last test drive. I suppose I can meet with the sales guy and check but I figured I would poll dads here to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Ok I think I just answered my own question. Looks like the car only supports tethering on the left and right positions from the owner's manual PDF I found see attached.
that's how I have it using the latch...
left latch of the right seat and right latch of the left seat

sorry I meant rear facing

Last edited by pikcachu; 09-06-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
beemerman1984
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Hummer H1

Forward facing seat fits fine! However, it has to be right or left, it wont latch properly in the center. My 18 month old daughter loves it and has plenty of room.
Attached Images

08-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Left or right. No problems here.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the pic! Thanks guys! Now off to check side impact ratings.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Left or right. Ratings are good. I put child in the opposite side of me (that is, put them on the passenger side), primarily for parking exit reasons. I think there are some studies that will tell you which side you are more likely to get hit onto... but I don't live my life by worries.
      08-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar
Left or right. Ratings are good. I put child in the opposite side of me (that is, put them on the passenger side), primarily for parking exit reasons. I think there are some studies that will tell you which side you are more likely to get hit onto... but I don't live my life by worries.
Yeah I figure right side for LH drive like the USA is probably better because of higher speed two lane roads without dividers. But I haven't seen a study or data on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Yeah I figure right side for LH drive like the USA is probably better because of higher speed two lane roads without dividers. But I haven't seen a study or data on that.
Left side impacts are more common in the US due to encountering intersecting traffic on the left first. That is why many manufacturers (although not all) locate the fuel filler on the right side. I recall seeing an early mule of what became the current Ford Fusion (known elsewhere as Mondeo) with fuel fillers on both sides, as it was a development car made of combined early parts. For a child seat, if possible, the center rear position is least likely to be intruded upon by side, rear, or front impact.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Check out the Diono Radian R100. It's a very nice small forward facing seat that doesn't take up a ton of room. I've had it in my car for my son since last April. He just turned 3 last month and still fits great and has plenty of room even with my seat back pretty far since I have long legs.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Left side impacts are more common in the US due to encountering intersecting traffic on the left first. That is why many manufacturers (although not all) locate the fuel filler on the right side. I recall seeing an early mule of what became the current Ford Fusion (known elsewhere as Mondeo) with fuel fillers on both sides, as it was a development car made of combined early parts. For a child seat, if possible, the center rear position is least likely to be intruded upon by side, rear, or front impact.
Does the m235i have a center belt though? I know there is not a center tether.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #12
beemerman1984
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Hummer H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Does the m235i have a center belt though? I know there is not a center tether.
No there is no center buckle or latches, the 2 is designed for left or right only.
      08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
JasonPetrie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

our Recaro Pro Ride fits perfectly in the back.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
F22ACE
Rep
Drives: Fake M

Must be on either side, not center. Left of right. I have two car seats in mine and my girls fit well. Plus it's so much easier to use my car, because I just open ONE door and my 7 year old climbs in, then I put my two year old in and I climb in. Super easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Le frog
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Also, there is that little tray that sits in between the rear seats. So I don't think a car seat would sit evenly, if placed at the center.
I actually had an appointment with the CHP (California Highway Patrol), to learn how properly install a car seat, before my daughter was born 6 years ago. The officer told me that indeed, the right side was the safest place.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Check out the Diono Radian R100. It's a very nice small forward facing seat that doesn't take up a ton of room. I've had it in my car for my son since last April. He just turned 3 last month and still fits great and has plenty of room even with my seat back pretty far since I have long legs.

I second this, I have 2 of these seats and we have done them 3 wide in very small cars. I also personally find it the easiest to get the kids in and out of.
Appreciate 0